Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2020 10:55:52 PM EDT
Yes, I have seen the Garand Thumb YouTube review.

Who owns one of these carriers and how would you rate it?  I have two plate options, L210 and 4401 Hesco's.  I believe both have covers which makes them compatible with the open weave backs of the plate bags and the exposed plate edges.  With the AirLite material cummerbund being stiffer and attaching with a tab to the plate bags, it seems like a better option than the much coveted JPC 2.0 that is so trendy with everyone from "Air Softers" to low profile operators.

I'm debating an AirLite SPC against a more substantial carrier like the LBT QRC V2 or more classic 4094A which seemed to be well received in Mid-East ops.

I need something to support the plate weight so my back and shoulders don't hurt after several hours while also breathing and venting well so I don't melt in the humid Texas heat.  I don't require low profile as this will be used on private property but, I also don't want to attract a lot of attention if I can help it, though my rifle and can probably makes that mostly irrelevant.

So, will Hesco 4401 and L210 plates hold up under that sort of environmental exposure?  Will the CRYE AIRLITE SPC work as suggested?  Thoughts?  Other suggestions?

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need something to support the plate weight so my back and shoulders don't hurt after several hours while also breathing and venting well so I don't melt in the humid Texas heat.
View Quote

SPC can transfer weight to your hips if you buy the corresponding Crye belt and the STKSS kit. That allows the carrier to act like a framed backpack with a hip belt. Otherwise it will be like every other PC and hang 100% of the weight on your shoulders.

Breathability is sort of a moot point when armor is involved. Plates don't breathe whatsoever. Your only options for venting are out the sides and through the cummerbund. Seeing as the SPC has no extra material beyond the plate bags and the cummerbund is skeletal with large air gaps, it will be in the top tier of thermal comfort among PCs. But there are plenty of competing PCs in this category.

It has no padding whatsoever. Definitely get multi-curve plates over single curve. Some plates offer padding on the interior face. You may very well also want to order some armor padding down the road once you have a chance to test it out.

Overall the SPC is a premium quality, minimalist carrier. If that's what you're looking for, you'll probably enjoy it. The downsides to minimalist carriers are mostly comfort related. For every doofus who says "My {insert any minimalist carrier} is super comfortable" I'm willing to bet they either have no basis for comparison against other carriers or only wear it  larping around their basement for 45 minutes. Plates kind of suck to wear for more than 2 hours no matter what, and it's way worse in a minimalist carrier. Period.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think the Crye AirLite SPC supports the STKSS kit.  Doesn't it require a harness like the AVS and similar systems?  The SPC to me looks like a product improved JPC 2.0 which doesn't support the STKSS kit.

Right now, multicurve rifle-rated plates are really expensive and hard to find so, I really need to work with what I have.  Lighter multicurve plates are something to consider post "panic buying" but, who knows when this craziness will subside.  With COVID and various BLM-ANTIFA-ETC fears, people are coming out of the woodwork to buy firearms, ammunition, and armor that likely won't subside for years if the Democrats increase their control in Washington politics this election cycle (remember the AWB and other politically induced gun buying frenzies?).

I'm trying to avoid harness based and full cummerbund systems so I'm not overheated and sweat-soaked.  Something like the Crye AVS would be a lot better for weight distribution but, it's going to be too hot to really be practical I'm afraid.  I really would like to use one of those and on paper, it looks attractive.  However, as today where I had to call it quits totally sweat-soaked with a heart rate of ~150BPM, I need to be realistic about what I can actually use.  Back pain is something I have to balance as just like heat, too much means I won't, or can't, use my kit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For every doofus who says "My {insert any minimalist carrier} is super comfortable" I'm willing to bet they either have no basis for comparison against other carriers or only wear it  larping around their basement for 45 minutes. Plates kind of suck to wear for more than 2 hours no matter what, and it's way worse in a minimalist carrier. Period.
View Quote

Regarding the basement "Walter Mitty" missions, I get what you're saying.

I'm wearing rifle rated plates for a reason, not a fantasy scenario.  My German Shepard was killed by the flagpole in front of my house which is ~1200' from my mailbox on the county road with a fairly narrow sightline.  After sitting in the dark ~300' from the house all night with my thermal hog sighted rifle waiting for the meth-heads to show up (which they didn't), re-enforced my need to rethink things.  When the neighbor down the road returned to prison and the rent house burned to the ground, things got better for a while but, in these crazy times, nuisance thefts and random rifle fire are a lot more frequent.

This is the reason I need something practical for the long term.  It will do me no good if I don't wear it because it hurts my back or I can't do real work with it on.  If I think I need to throw a hoodie on to cover it up and go to town, I'm keeping the gate locked and I'm staying home.  If things go sideways, I want to be better prepared and I want to be able to hold out until help arrives at my 'castle'.  If the barbarians at the gate, stay at the gate I'll call that win as I just want to live my life in peace and not be worried some meth-head is going to take me out with a stolen deer rifle or a cheap gang banger pistol from who knows where.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Just my random thoughts:

1) Anything Crye will be of high quality
2) People never complain their plate carrier is too light
3) Hesco has a solid reputation and is regularly a top pick for civilian plates.
4) You dont need to justify to anyone why you want/need body armor. Your right to own it is covered by the second amendment.

My only comment is that while Place Carriers (PC) are light weight and breathable, this convenience comes at a price which is limited ballistic coverage.

I personally went with an Armor Carrier (AC) with soft armor and plates. I like the idea of having soft armor as its light weight, flexible, stops pistol and shotgun rounds, reduces blunt force attacks, stops tasers, and even offers some protection against knives (certainly more than a t-shirt). All common threats among criminals breaking into homes. But the BALCS armor is ~4 lbs and the AC is ~2 lbs heavier than your avg PC, so youre talking ~6lbs for that added protection.

I think a lot of civilians just buy whatever gear the special forces soldiers are wearing, because if its good enough for a Navy Seal it has to be good enough for me, right?! We should all take the time to think about what our mission is and the most likely threat we will be facing.

A navy seal might be hiking 20-30 miles a day for several days, over mountains in extremely hot temperatures. Their threat will likely be AK47s, RPKs, PKMs, and other light to heavy machine guns all firing high velocity armor piercing ammunition. As a result they go with a light weight plate carrier that allow the user to stay cool and move quickly. It sacrifices soft armor, but that is of little use against armor piercing rifle rounds.

A civilian's mission is to stay alive and protect their family. Their most likely threat is from home invasion against lightly armed robbers as statically 90% of firearm murders in the US are committed with handguns (See data below). Everyday street thugs tend not to carry around rifles or shotguns as it draws attention, they prefer something they can slip in their waste band and walk down the street without someone calling the cops. The need for mobility will be limited as home defense and the vast majority of SHTF scenarios will involve you defending yourself from a fixed position, likely your home. As a result, an armor carrier with soft armor inserts and plates is IMO a better choice than a plate carrier. Also, modern armor carriers are almost as light and just as easy to put on as a plate carrier. Armor has come a long way since the Interceptor Body Armor System that took like two people to put on.

Murders by Weapon Type (2018 FBI Data)
Handguns: 7,032
Rifles: 403
Shotguns: 264
Other guns: 187
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d advise you to get better/lighter lvl 3+ plates instead of spending money on a more Gucci carrier. I’ve never used the crye sttks or whatever it’s called, nor have I seen it used. It sounds cumbersome to don and a pain to set up.

What threats to do you face? Once you’ve pondered this, decide if you need lvl 4 plates, or can get away with lvl 3+ or even some lvl 3 PE plates, or just soft armor alone. Then, look at yourself and your own health realistically. If your back is that bad to where 15ish lbs on it will cause serious pain, maybe you should consider things further.

Armor is mainly needed in a more urban setting, where close ranges make even the poorest of shooters a threat. In rural environments, things may be different and a chest rig is all that may be required.  For example:
Iraq, largely urban environments, raiding compounds and facing rifle fire from close range = armor absolutely required.
Afghanistan, largely rural environments, a lot of walking in difficult terrain, facing rifle fire from distance = cover was abundant and there was usually space and time to maneuver, armor was less important than mobility. No one was gonna pop up twenty meters away and start throwing rounds at you (In the context of long range patrols in the mountains)
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just my random thoughts:

3) Hesco has a solid reputation and is regularly a top pick for civilian plates.
4) You dont need to justify to anyone why you want/need body armor. Your right to own it is covered by the second amendment.

My only comment is that while Place Carriers (PC) are light weight and breathable, this convenience comes at a price which is limited ballistic coverage.

I personally went with an Armor Carrier (AC) with soft armor and plates. I like the idea of having soft armor as its light weight, flexible, stops pistol and shotgun rounds, reduces blunt force attacks, stops tasers, and even offers some protection against knives (certainly more than a t-shirt). All common threats among criminals breaking into homes. But the BALCS armor is ~4 lbs and the AC is ~2 lbs heavier than your avg PC, so youre talking ~6lbs for that added protection.

I think a lot of civilians just buy whatever gear the special forces soldiers are wearing, because if its good enough for a Navy Seal it has to be good enough for me, right?! We should all take the time to think about what our mission is and the most likely threat we will be facing.

A navy seal might be hiking 20-30 miles a day for several days, over mountains in extremely hot temperatures. Their threat will likely be AK47s, RPKs, PKMs, and other light to heavy machine guns all firing high velocity armor piercing ammunition. As a result they go with a light weight plate carrier that allow the user to stay cool and move quickly. It sacrifices soft armor, but that is of little use against armor piercing rifle rounds.

A civilian's mission is to stay alive and protect their family. Their most likely threat is from home invasion against lightly armed robbers as statically 90% of firearm murders in the US are committed with handguns (See data below). Everyday street thugs tend not to carry around rifles or shotguns as it draws attention, they prefer something they can slip in their waste band and walk down the street without someone calling the cops. The need for mobility will be limited as home defense and the vast majority of SHTF scenarios will involve you defending yourself from a fixed position, likely your home. As a result, an armor carrier with soft armor inserts and plates is IMO a better choice than a plate carrier. Also, modern armor carriers are almost as light and just as easy to put on as a plate carrier. Armor has come a long way since the Interceptor Body Armor System that took like two people to put on.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just my random thoughts:

Quoted:I'd advise you to get better/lighter lvl 3+ plates instead of spending money on a more Gucci carrier. I've never used the crye sttks or whatever it's called, nor have I seen it used. It sounds cumbersome to don and a pain to set up.

What threats to do you face? Once you've pondered this, decide if you need lvl 4 plates, or can get away with lvl 3+ or even some lvl 3 PE plates, or just soft armor alone. Then, look at yourself and your own health realistically. If your back is that bad to where 15ish lbs on it will cause serious pain, maybe you should consider things further.

Armor is mainly needed in a more urban setting, where close ranges make even the poorest of shooters a threat. In rural environments, things may be different and a chest rig is all that may be required.  For example:
Iraq, largely urban environments, raiding compounds and facing rifle fire from close range = armor absolutely required.
Afghanistan, largely rural environments, a lot of walking in difficult terrain, facing rifle fire from distance = cover was abundant and there was usually space and time to maneuver, armor was less important than mobility. No one was gonna pop up twenty meters away and start throwing rounds at you (In the context of long range patrols in the mountains)

This isn't a "Walter Mitty" fantasy mission for me.  My main thread is a stolen deer rifle wielded by a meth-fueled criminal.  A gang-banger pistol is a threat as well.

I live in East Texas in a rural environment.  My front porch is 1200' from the nearest public road.  I have had my mailbox blown up and my dog was killed by my flag pole about 100' from my front door with limited sightlines from the public road.  My neighbors rent house was burned to the ground (arson) and the tenet is currently in prison.  Another neighbor was cooking meth and is in prison as well.  Another neighbor harbors wayward teens and young adults from church which are belligerent dope-smoking teens and young adults.

In terms of low profile, I don't go to town often and avoid Dallas, Houston and, Austin, and other big cities if possible.  My big city trip to the grocery store or bank is a town of ~1600 people.  If I need body armor to buy groceries, I'll grab a fishing pole first.

That being said, I do have a low profile carrier for discrete use with a set of L210's.  Normally, I'm on my 40 acres fixing the fence, cutting weeds from the fence line, cutting firewood and, similar things with a rifle in close reach after being attacked by aggressive pet dogs TWICE from suspected dope growers (based on smell when the wind is right).
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have Hesco 4401 in an airlite spc and 3810 in a jpc2.0. They both work fine, but I prefer the jpc. The spc is fine and comfortable, but for what I use it for (exercise) the cummerbund is sort of weird. Without pouches attached to the inside there is a gap. It’s nice you can rinse it off and it is hydrophobic though.  I’d say the JPC is more forgiving in the plate bag and more comfortable overall.  I would recommend a JPC btwn the two. If you do go with a spc def get a smaller cummerbund than you think you need.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm ... thought I replied yesterday.

Yes, the SPC cummerbunds run really large for size.  I definitely need a small one to go with the medium plate bags.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Kept the ncpc and jpc2

Sold the spc the first day I had it, its lighter than jpc but imo not worth the loss of cordura over the spc material

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:10:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think the Crye AirLite SPC supports the STKSS kit.  Doesn't it require a harness like the AVS and similar systems?  The SPC to me looks like a product improved JPC 2.0 which doesn't support the STKSS kit.
View Quote

Sorry, been away for a couple days. You got plenty of good responses in here, I don't have anything specific to add other than that the SPC absolutely supports the STKSS. It says it right in the description on the SPC page. As long as you pair it with the SPC structural cummerband (and one of the appropriate Crye belts), you're good to go.

https://cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/altek502md0_airlite-spc
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SPC can transfer weight to your hips if you buy the corresponding Crye belt and the STKSS kit. That allows the carrier to act like a framed backpack with a hip belt. Otherwise it will be like every other PC and hang 100% of the weight on your shoulders.
View Quote

The structural cummerbund does a good job of transferring the load away from your shoulders.

Having gone from a JPC to an SPC, the SPC supports the weight substantially better.

If you're going extremely heavy, you're better off with a harness system like an AVS, but the SPC does a very good job.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I used to think the cummerbund was freakishly large but the more I think about it, I come to think it is intentional. The SPC cummerbund should overlap in order to provide support throughout the whole back of the carrier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the SPC cummerbunds run really large for size.  I definitely need a small one to go with the medium plate bags.

I used to think the cummerbund was freakishly large but the more I think about it, I come to think it is intentional. The SPC cummerbund should overlap in order to provide support throughout the whole back of the carrier.

I think it might be more of a happy coincidence. None of the instructions show how to attach the cummerbund if it's overlapped, but they do show how to attach it if there's too much gap for just the one length of bungee.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I could be mistaken but, I think the cummerbund needs to connect in the center, not on the edges or overlap based on the few related pictures I could see about its attachment to the rear plate bag carrier structure.  That and the tabs that go into the front plate bag structure seem to be were a lot of the general structural support comes from.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The structural cummerbund does a good job of transferring the load away from your shoulders.

Having gone from a JPC to an SPC, the SPC supports the weight substantially better.

If you're going extremely heavy, you're better off with a harness system like an AVS, but the SPC does a very good job.
View Quote
I see an AVS in my future but, right now today, there are several reasons why that won't happen.

Eventually, some Hesco L210's will ride in the SPC with level 4 plates in an AVS and a bigger load out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see an AVS in my future but, right now today, there are several reasons why that won't happen.

Eventually, some Hesco L210's will ride in the SPC with level 4 plates in an AVS and a bigger load out.
View Quote

As someone who started in the Interceptor, then the IOTV, then some no-name government contract carrier, then the AVS, and currently an issued T3 Geronimo G2, I can tell you that, when carrying comms, medical, and a full combat load, the AVS's comfort and weight distribution are unmatched by anything I've used before it or since then. I wish I could still be wearing my personal kit, but unfortunately my current duty station is very rigid in that regard. At least the T3 is still pretty decent.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been running the SPC for about a year or so now, having moved to it from the Mayflower APC, before that there was the BCS, CIRAS, Interceptor. I stayed with the APC for many years as it did what I needed, at different times it was modified with the Tubes CB, or just a simple single strap Tubes CB, at some point years ago I added spacer mesh into the whole APC.

The SPC is a very good light weight PC, for me it was an improvement over the APC, the zip on and off back panels are a nice option IMHO and was the big improvement that I was looking for. The Crye flaps as it turns out are another very nice thing. The other very nice thing is that the material that is used for the body of the PC does not absorb water or mud so you PC absorbs far less weight in the rain or after a swim.

As Patriot_man said, the cummerbund needs to overlap to do it's job. It also took a few weeks of training with the SPC to get the cummerbund to break in and be less of a pain to weave MOLLE through as well as flex in and out of the rear plate bag. I think that the sizing of the cummerbund is based off of your waist size, but I don't have hard data for this last statement. I am 5'10, 180 with a 46" chest and 32" waist Med plate bags and the small CB is what works for me and even then it extends to the outer edge of the rear plate if I'm not using side plates and a radio in there. I also love how there is an option to attach the side plates to the side of the plate bag and not to the cummerbund, this is the option that I prefer, even better they never move.

The ability of the SPC to allow ventilation. The open CB helps with this some, the mesh liner helps a bit as well. Does it work like air channels? NO!
Weight distribution, with the SPC is pretty good, but a heavy load is still a heavy load. The SPC shoulder wraps are unpadded, after several hours with a full load you will still feel it. I tried the AVS shoulder pads and they were very bulky. My old APC (newer thin version) pads were okay with the SPC. I settled on the newer hourglass shaped Qore Performance shoulder pads, they work well at limiting bulk and are less annoying when climbing ladders or walls, they also have minimal effect shouldering of a weapon for me, on 100+ deg days they also don't retain heat like all other shoulder pads that I have tried. I also added the Qore Performance plate spacers which created some standoff for my plates and allow a bit better air movement behind the plates, anecdotally they make the system feel less hot for me. With that said all armor systems are hot and will increase your risk for heat injuries, some more than others. The SPC has been one of the least miserable PC's that I have used in the heat. Also the Qore spacer pads visibly reduced the amount of sweat soaking my shirt after a long day in the heat, I'm lazy and just stuffed them into the inside of the mesh bag, vs sewing them onto the mesh between the mesh and my shirt, so there could be some added performance there.

As it sounds like you are still searching for plates, personally I will always take a lighter weight plate as heavy plates are always going to be heavy, no carrier will distribute the weight of your gear enough to offset a heavy kit. Strong core muscles help greatly, but heavy will always be heavy. After adding a few mags, water, radio(s) smokes and other gear stuff, the weight adds up very quickly. If I had the choice go with the lighter of the two plates, your whole body will appreciate it, you will also be faster up off the ground the first time and a whole lot faster off the ground 10 or 20 times later. Protection doesn't work if it's sitting in your locker, it only works when you wear it. You will be far more likely to wear the lighter plates.

All in all I'm happy with the SPC and the few mods that I have added to it. The SPC does carry weight better than my old system, the improved modularity for me is nice. The very low weight change when wet is also nice. Overall mobility between the SPC and the APC is about equal for me. Weight between the SPC and APC are also pretty close.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think it might be more of a happy coincidence. None of the instructions show how to attach the cummerbund if it's overlapped, but they do show how to attach it if there's too much gap for just the one length of bungee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah I had to do my own connection since I have a bit of overlap with the small.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't own one.  The reason I don't own one is that I like to wear my PTT up on my chest not on my cummerbund and the Garand Thumb video pointing out the difficulty in locating the PTT up on the chest turned me off to it.  Actually, I find the lack of a good PTT position on the chest an issue with A LOT of plate carriers these days that are designed to accept ITW buckle placards.  

As a side note, and completely off topic, I'm really hoping that Disco32 does a short wired version of their U94 PTT with Kenwood two pin.  So sick of PTT wire.  Better still would be if PTT's could join the 21st century and go Blue Tooth wireless so there were zero cords between the radio or between the headset.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't own one.  The reason I don't own one is that I like to wear my PTT up on my chest not on my cummerbund and the Garand Thumb video pointing out the difficulty in locating the PTT up on the chest turned me off to it.  Actually, I find the lack of a good PTT position on the chest an issue with A LOT of plate carriers these days that are designed to accept ITW buckle placards.  

As a side note, and completely off topic, I'm really hoping that Disco32 does a short wired version of their U94 PTT with Kenwood two pin.  So sick of PTT wire.  Better still would be if PTT's could join the 21st century and go Blue Tooth wireless so there were zero cords between the radio or between the headset.  

View Quote

If you're using crye front flaps, the loops that are for a female swift clip/attaching the Airlite chest-rig can be made to work for a PTT.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This isn't a "Walter Mitty" fantasy mission for me.  My main thread is a stolen deer rifle wielded by a meth-fueled criminal.  A gang-banger pistol is a threat as well.

I live in East Texas in a rural environment.  My front porch is 1200' from the nearest public road.  I have had my mailbox blown up and my dog was killed by my flag pole about 100' from my front door with limited sightlines from the public road.  My neighbors rent house was burned to the ground (arson) and the tenet is currently in prison.  Another neighbor was cooking meth and is in prison as well.  Another neighbor harbors wayward teens and young adults from church which are belligerent dope-smoking teens and young adults.

In terms of low profile, I don't go to town often and avoid Dallas, Houston and, Austin, and other big cities if possible.  My big city trip to the grocery store or bank is a town of ~1600 people.  If I need body armor to buy groceries, I'll grab a fishing pole first.

That being said, I do have a low profile carrier for discrete use with a set of L210's.  Normally, I'm on my 40 acres fixing the fence, cutting weeds from the fence line, cutting firewood and, similar things with a rifle in close reach after being attacked by aggressive pet dogs TWICE from suspected dope growers (based on smell when the wind is right).
View Quote

You think a meth head is going to be able to hit you at distance with a stolen deer rifle?  I’m having trouble picturing this since your average shooter can’t shoot worth a shit at distance let alone some crack head with little to no practice.

But I may be wrong. *shrugs*
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just zip-tied my PTT to the left shoulder and it has been working well for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top