Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2017 5:58:31 PM EDT
Well I'm not a COMPLETE newb to CMP purchases.  I went through the paperwork and got myself two garands, a field grade and a service grade.  Happy with both.

That said.  Me and the wife are travelling from Montana back to Tennessee to visit the in-laws and I'm wanting to visit a store and pick up two more.  Even if inventory is low I'd take two in either grade.

My plans were to visit the north store in Port Clinton since it'll let me visit a few friends up in Pennsylvania.

Any pros/cons to one store or the other?

Also, I'm assuming since my last two were just over three years ago I'm not in the system anymore?

ONE LAST question:   The in-store requirements are exactly the same as the mail-order requirements?   just so I don't show up with anything less than needed since I can't exactly run home to get stuff lol.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the South Store is the better one to visit due to it's proximity to the rebuild facility.  Plus the CMP forums usually gives a very good inventory of what's at the South Store each week.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The South store always seems to have more stuff and they also have the new range.
There are frequently reports from people of what the current store inventory is on the CMP forums.
Just Google North/South store reports CMP and it should be one of the top results.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw those, however those were geared towards specific "rarities".  I'm not looking for a IHC or WRA.

I figured springfield or H&R's should be aplenty at either?

ALso I will have to call a help line after they re-open on the 4th of jan.   Seems your info SHOULD be on record there for along time after just 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never been to the south store. The north store is a hole in the wall about the size of a large closet (well, maybe a little bigger than that, lol), but it had my Garand (so that's cool!)
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw those, however those were geared towards specific "rarities".  I'm not looking for a IHC or WRA.

I figured springfield or H&R's should be aplenty at either?

ALso I will have to call a help line after they re-open on the 4th of jan.   Seems your info SHOULD be on record there for along time after just 3 years.
View Quote
He posts everything though, not just rare stuff.  You'll get an idea what is there at any given time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
South store always has a better selection of stuff
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Having previously lived about 4hours from the north store and having a brother who is a garand and carbine addict ( at one point he had nearly 100 garands and carbines) I can say the good old days of row after row of good product to choose from are long gone. In the last several years the south store is much better stocked. When people are reporting no regular M1’s in stock at north , the report will be dozens on the racks at south
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Having previously lived about 4hours from the north store and having a brother who is a garand and carbine addict ( at one point he had nearly 100 garands and carbines) I can say the good old days of row after row of good product to choose from are long gone. In the last several years the south store is much better stocked. When people are reporting no regular M1’s in stock at north , the report will be dozens on the racks at south
View Quote
That's because  -  or so it is said  -  the new guy running the CMP hates the NS and, if he could, would close it in a nano-second and move the Nat'l Rifle Matches from Camp Perry to Talledega.

But his Board of Directors would never approve that move, so instead he just slows delivery of USGI M1s to the NS to a trickle (they might get some every few months), although that store does seem to receive a lot of "Special" M1s  -  Garands with pitted receivers which have been re-barreled with a (commercial) Criterion tube and then stocked in Dupage or Boyd's wood, not GI wood ...

... Whereas the SS still gets the USGI product.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorta what I was seeing on the cmp forums.

Which works out well, due to a friends scheduales we revamped our trip and we're hitting the south store for sure.

Now I just need to see what paperwork I need to take.  See if my previous purchase info is on record.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]
South store moved and is a much smaller operation than when I visited three years ago.

We left North Carolina and headed the opposite direction in August.  I have a NC concealed handgun permit and was carrying my Glock and avoided the communist state of Illinios.  MN, too.  I don't know how law enforcement treats long guns in those states.  Something to consider on the return trip anyway.  Have a safe trip.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Call the store and find out what you'll need, or look information up - for God's sake, don't rely on an internet dufus.  Several years ago, we visited the South Store and my brother forgot his paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely combine any trip to the South Store with a visit to their Talladega range. It's rather nice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah planning on a route that takes me around IL.   Other than that my Montana CWP is valid everywhere I'm going.

I'm calling the store tomorrow, and probably just going to have a full set of new paperwork just in case.  Was super easy awhile ago, pays to be safe.

Waiting activation on the cmp forum....

Is it true they're limiting to one in-store purchase per person at a time now?

I'd love to try the range but a strictly visitational vacation this time.  Hoping for a fall trip maybe and having a shooting-type trip.  Going to be lightly armed.  590 mossberg in the trunk, 9mm Beretta 92, .380 LCP and .38 snubnose is all I'm taking.  (Maybe an AR15 too ;) )
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
How long have you been waiting?  It's been over three weeks since I created my account.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How long have you been waiting?  It's been over three weeks since I created my account.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? I just made an account so I could reply to a thread about recent field grades. I havent been activated yet either.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seriously? I just made an account so I could reply to a thread about recent field grades. I havent been activated yet either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CMP Bd mods/admins are notoriously slow  -  mainly because they're running checks on the ISP addys of prospective new registrants to see if they can "catch" folks they've already banned who are trying to sneak back on under a new screen name & email addy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I may not bother with visiting the store....Depending.

My Garand Club Association membership has not been processed yet.

Ten days until I leave and still no card....

Hopefully it shows up before I leave but not holding my breath.

Damnit.  I guess we'll see.  May visit the store anyway but it's a crapload of extra driving for no reason otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well I may not bother with visiting the store....Depending.

My Garand Club Association membership has not been processed yet.

Ten days until I leave and still no card....

Hopefully it shows up before I leave but not holding my breath.

Damnit.  I guess we'll see.  May visit the store anyway but it's a crapload of extra driving for no reason otherwise.
View Quote
Is it the Garand Collectors Assoc.? If so, email them and they'll email you proof of membership. That's what I did for my last CMP purchase.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I had included that question in my email and they didn't seem to want to.

I can email later and ask again, maybe get another person.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Worried for nothing lol.  Mail was a day late.  Had my member card in it!

CMP store here I come
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The CMP Bd mods/admins are notoriously slow  -  mainly because they're running checks on the ISP addys of prospective new registrants to see if they can "catch" folks they've already banned who are trying to sneak back on under a new screen name & email addy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took a year and numerous email before they finally activated mine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Well it didn't work out.

Still send in a mail order but kinda sucked. Sorta a rushed day but took the six hour round trip drive there.

Not a single field or service grade H&R or spring field.   IHC rack and field grades in rough shape. Thought of getting an M1D rack grade that looked nice just to get a Garand at the store but figured it wasn't what I wanted so no need to buy just because.

Ah well. Cheaper to mail order but woulda been nice to have the drive worthwhile.   Heck there's usually a few rack grade springfields and there wasn't even that.

Thanks for all the help though guys!  Appreciate it and can at least say I was there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top