Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2024 7:33:51 AM EDT
Looking at buying a couple Garands at the Ohio store. My Indiana license to carry address doesn't match my DL (we are now a permit-less state). Not sure if that matters. Also, the courses I've taken were more "tactical" without sounding like a larper, pistol-pistol/rifle courses...probably a dozen in the last 2 years. Would those count? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The requirements for purchasing are listed on the cmp website.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:45:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TOTHEMAX] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Any training works. I have used score sheets from speed steel, USPSA and High Power matches. I have also used small-bore rifle 4-H leader training.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
View Quote

Can you please quote where it answers my question about handgun license address being different? Or about ANY live fire training courses other than those ones listed?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Its also sticked to the top of the forum.
View Quote

Can you please quote where it answers my question about handgun license address being different? Or about ANY live fire training courses other than those ones listed?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
Any training works. I have used score sheets from speed steel, USPSA and High Power matches. I have also used small-bore rifle 4-H leader training.
View Quote

Thank you for posting a helpful answer to my questions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Newbombz:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Newbombz:

No.
Either you are eligible or you are not.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Left the store with a rack grade and field grade. I wanted TWO field grade (one for me and one to hand down to my son) and they said there is a limit on one from each grade. Funny, that wasn't on your CMP bible rules and requirements.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]

It's a link to the cmp forum that goes over everything regarding the purchase of ammo and guns. It's pretty well written. Not sure what else you need?
View Quote

I wanted to know if a commercial firearms course was good enough as they keep talking about marksman competitions and NRA/Range officer signed classes. The website isn't very specific for "marksman" qualifications. How about adding "any commercial, basic pistol or rifle course". Nobody raves about how simple the process or requirements are. I went and the experience was similar to the snyde comments in this thread. The guy at the counter was flat out rude and honestly, verbally abusive. I'd rather drive to another store than go there again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:57:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#11]

No.
Either you are eligible or you are not.

View Quote

This is not GD.  Please stay on topic or ignore the above poster.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like you passed the entrance test and snagged a couple beauties? Let’s see them!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 4:13:30 AM EDT
[#14]

It says this right on their website.

Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service.
CMP or NRA Classification card.
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. – FFL or C&R license. (Note: An expired C&R license is acceptable to show proof of marksmanship.)
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.

They leave it pretty vague for a reason. Provide any sort of certificate from a firearms class and you are gtg.
View Quote

That right there would save lots of people a headache. Their verbiage of "marksmanship" and "CMP sanctioned" can throw off those of us that aren't in the m1 clique.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
Sounds like you passed the entrance test and snagged a couple beauties? Let’s see them!
View Quote

Yea, my buddy and I were pretty bummed that after looking for about 2hr and walking up with 2 field grades each, we were told we are only allowed one from each grade. I'm not sure if that's a calendar year limit. Is it 6 a year but none can be from the same grade? Or is it just no more than one from each grade per store visit? I'm sure I'll get "read the sticky" or "check the website", that wasn't disclosed anywhere.  I'm still considering mail-ordering or even driving to the AL stores (from IN) and getting another field and/or service grade (I'm sure I'll hand one down to my son).

I ended up with:
SA 6 digit mid-42 Field grade with VAR barrel 1ME 3+TE
SA 6 digit mid-42 Rack grade with 46 or 48 barrel 2ME 3TE

Both are nice. I'm not sure I'll hold onto the rack as it was just one I quickly picked to make the trip worth-while.

My buddy ended up with:
SA 6 digit rack grade and a SA 6 digit field grade, both have 44-48yr barrels
He also got the only service grade they had, a 1944 WRA with SA 1944 barrel and uncut op-rod.

Him and I had a great drive, great time handling the rifles, really everything except the attitude at the counter. I can't remember the last time I've dealt with such rudeness and ignorance. Sounds like I'm beating a dead-horse but I've done many deals on tons of platforms and I still get hypertension thinking about how we were treated.

Here's some pics.

Thanks

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top