Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good to me. History and character. One can only imagine the circumstances that made it the best hammer available
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have kept the rifle and ordered another,

IHC with correct barrel, even if you have to put it in a GI Stock, will sell quickly, and for a premium over a SA or HRA
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I am waiting to see the new rifle
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]
No new rifle. Customer service called yesterday, and said the pitting on the receiver is due to the casting process, and not damage.  Kind of surprised they didn't come to that opinion by looking at the photos, looks like I'm keeping it.  Now to find USGI handguards and trash the horrid stock.  I've got a few stocks, just need the handguards.  Anyone have any leads on either USGI handguards or good reproductions?  Found a place online called Ammogarand, any opinions?

Rifle should be back this week...
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
All I know is that when I got a service grade over 10 years ago, the GI stock was pretty darned beat.  I'm not sure I would've minded a newer one.  Even it it wasn't optimum.

I do have to admit, I was gonna be all like, meh, don't worry about it.  That heal is pretty dinged though.  But like some others said, may be the same with another.  I'm not sure I've seen one QUITE like that though.   There's usually some kind of pitting or dinging, but that one looks very....  like someone almost meant to do it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No new rifle. Customer service called yesterday, and said the pitting on the receiver is due to the casting process, and not damage.  Kind of surprised they didn't come to that opinion by looking at the photos, looks like I'm keeping it.  Now to find USGI handguards and trash the horrid stock.  I've got a few stocks, just need the handguards.  Anyone have any leads on either USGI handguards or good reproductions?  Found a place online called Ammogarand, any opinions?

Rifle should be back this week...
View Quote
The receiver is not cast it's forged.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear you, but I’m told it’s from voids in the casting process, direct from CMP....I know these aren’t cast recivers, no idea why everyone, including me, is using the term.

If I wasn’t told by numerous folks that this isn’t damage, just voids in the manufacturing process, I would swear that this rifle was damaged. I can’t imagine the Marine Corps ever issuing something like this to a recruit circa 1956....

It’s mine, I’ll get a stock on it, and shoot it...
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting bit of history.  I don't feel so bad now, but I wish I would have known about the IHC receiver issue before, I wouldn't have sent it back.  See below, shamelessly stolen from ihcfan55 on the CMP site:

The desire of IHC General Manager Harris to assemble the maximum number of rifles in April 1954 resulted in a curious anomaly in the IHC production effort. This anomaly is the heel void, where the receiver billet was not fully formed, but had small holes, or voids, on the surface of the billet.

When the machining was done on these billets, the machine tool cutting head was set to cut to the desired dimensions, and would not cut into the deeper heel void (since it was deeper than the outside dimensions); therefore, the heel void would be untouched by the cutting head, and would be very rough to the touch.

This anomaly is called a “natural”, and many IHC receivers with these “naturals” are found in the 4.54M-4.56M ranges. The author has a theory that these “heel void” receivers had been originally set aside and not used (due to cosmetic reasons), but were used in the April 1954 effort to maximize M1 rifle production.

But, how to smooth the very rough edges of the heel voids? The answer was deeper heel grinding. (The standard operating procedure called for very light heel grinding, to remove the sharp machined edges of the receiver.) It is theorized that IHC workers were directed to grind more deeply on the heels of the receivers to smooth out the “naturals.”

This deep grinding smoothed out the voids in the heels, and apparently made them acceptable to the Ordnance inspectors. This deep heel grinding created one more anomaly in the IHC production effort.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked up my IHC (again) today from FedEx. Read the entire post for the story. I hate the new stocks, I have some old ones, and was planning to sell the new one on line. CMP was not kind to the current new stock when I returned it

When I first received the stock, it was perfect, one of the Hackeberry stocks. Looks like the chipped it, and returned it
The ones who called the imperfections manufacturering issues were right, I should have never sent it back.

What does beveryone think...the rifle was 950.00

Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Man oh man, .... that Hackleberry stock makes that dog look, well, ... even doggier.

I agree with ToTheMax. Contact CMP and demand USGI wood as compensation for them damaging the Hackleberry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess the issue is that I paid 950.00 for the rifle, and these new Hackberry stocks are just garbage.  I would rather have CMP put these in a beat up USGI stock, or sell them like the woodless Danes from a few years back.  Was in a hurry to try and snag a IHC, but it appears that the IHC draught from 6 years ago is over.  Lesson learned, make the drive to the South Store next time, unless they start selling rack grade Philippine Garands for less than 500...
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Even with the chips that gun still fits the FG criteria. And you weren't going to keep that stock on that rifle anyway. Live with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That thing may have seen some really desprite time in Korea .
I mean they hammered it for some really bad reason . Maybe frozen at Chosin . Trying to unlock the breech of an artillery piece damaged by shrapnel ,

Maybe it got run over by a Chinese tank

Whatever it is it sure has story , Id keep if it works , put a boyds stock ,fit it and poof nice old rifle that did somthing ..... special.

Gary
View Quote
I know what your saying but it's highly unlikely any IHC rifles made it to South Korea before the cease fire. I can't comment on HRA rifles but most Garands carried by GI's were post WWII rearsenabled Win and SA.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Forging voids, Very common to find that on IHC recvrs in heel area and on IHC trigger housings.

Forging dies for recvr had scale build up that causes that.

Totally serviceable and not a reason to return rifle, if it wasn't it would have never left International H.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
The first pic is a dent.  It is easily fixed with a steam iron and a wet cloth over the dent.   Not perfect but will get 90% of it.

The second pic looks like a toe chip.  Fortunately that stock wood is over dimension and a sanding block to take the wood down to a closer dimension is a logical fix if desired.

All that said it sucks on a new stock.  I think they get callous handling sticks as the majority of the surplus comes in with crate ding kisses.

I do Not like the yak berry look.    I would buy a DGR.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Take it out and shoot it. Stop worrying about small dings or receiver heel. None of those are mechanical issues.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember seeing quite a few pics of IHC receiver heels like that on the Culver's Shooting Page M1 rifle forum back ten or 15 years ago.  They all came from the CMP and were considered somewhat collectible for advanced collectors.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top