Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2018 8:11:13 PM EDT
Just received a Grail Gun from CMP, an IHC Garand, service grade, for $950.00. The good, LMR barrel, IHC trigger housing, and front sight all appear to be IHC, op rod is HRA, with a Springfield bolt.

The bad? Disgusting new stock made out of some type of wood, but I’ve got some stocks. The really bad?

Looks like the receiver heel was used as a hammer, and someone tried to file down the rough edges, taking some of the markings too.

Would you send this back? Looking for opinions.

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it fit the current service grade condition description?  If so, they may very well send it right back to you after they receive it back.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Another photo
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate to say but that does fall within their service grade criteria.

The stock looks like one of the Hackberry stocks people are complaining about.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Over in the CMP forums the guys have been saying that with the current batches of rifles they’re pretty rough and you should expect to receive a gun that more closely matches the condition in the description. We’ve been spoiled for the past couple years with better-than-advertised rifles. Do not return it expecting a better rifle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Your tag says you got a “Field” grade OP. Probably got a hackberry stock. Double check your order form to affirm “Service” grade was what you ordered then call CMP

ETA:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your tag says you got a “Field” grade OP. Probably got a hackberry stock. Double check your order form to affirm “Service” grade was what you ordered then call CMP

ETA:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440344/8F22EA86-7134-451B-A907-52C3A9E655E8-539441.JPG
View Quote
Lol this
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what you wanted;

Attachment Attached File

This is what you got:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
If the if the barrel is good I’d keep it and rebuild it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Man oh man, ... compared to the various CMP SGs I bought in the early-to-mid 2000s, the one you got is a real dog.  Back in those days,  yours would've qualified as either a Racker or a Field Grade, ... at best.

Nope, I'd send that dog back tomorrow and demand a refund  -  plus interest for the aggravation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Man oh man, ... compared to the various CMP SGs I bought in the early-to-mid 2000s, the one you got is a real dog.  Back in those days,  yours would've qualified as either a Racker or a Field Grade, ... at best.

Nope, I'd send that dog back tomorrow and demand a refund  -  plus interest for the aggravation.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Forging voids, Very common to find that on IHC recvrs in heel area and on IHC trigger housings.

Forging dies for recvr had scale build up that causes that.

Totally serviceable and not a reason to return rifle, if it wasn't it would have never left International H.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#13]
That's not a defect, it's "character".
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:10:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ETA:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440344/8F22EA86-7134-451B-A907-52C3A9E655E8-539441.JPG
View Quote
this.
someone fucked up, call em up.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]
No, I mistyped, I ordered a field grade. I’m sure it’s a shooter, and if the marks on the heel are a casting void, then I’ll keep it. I did email customer service just to see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#16]
If that's a field grade then you have nothing to complain about as that's well within the parameters. I'd say you did pretty good for an FG.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The follow up question is what caused the damage, or if was just a bad casting
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The follow up question is what caused the damage, or if was just a bad casting
View Quote
It is a forging!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay, even for a FG it's still looking like a Major Dog, but that's not the real question.  The real question is:  'is your M1 a reliable and accurate shooter?'

Some day M1 Garands may be more than just nostalgic pieces of history. They may be the only semi-automatic rifle the government allows us to own.

So putting aside the 'all original'/'all correct' Collector Grade specimens, it doesn't matter whether you own 1, 6, or 100 SG, FG, or RG M1s.

What matters is, you need to be assured they'll all function reliably and give decent accuracy, at least within GI specifications, which if I recall correctly, was within 4MOA @ 100-yds.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#20]
That thing may have seen some really desprite time in Korea .
I mean they hammered it for some really bad reason . Maybe frozen at Chosin . Trying to unlock the breech of an artillery piece damaged by shrapnel ,

Maybe it got run over by a Chinese tank

Whatever it is it sure has story , Id keep if it works , put a boyds stock ,fit it and poof nice old rifle that did somthing ..... special.

Gary
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
That is the price for a field grade IHC not a service grade.  The north store has several field grade IHC Garands at that price.  They have been sitting there for some time because that is a lot of money for a worn out Garand.  Your rifle would be one of the best of that bunch.

If you are thinking about sending it back in for something better you might be more disappointed in what you get in return.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]
CMP looked at the photos, and agreed that the rifle should not have made it out, and in sending a return tag.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Do they have a replacement of the right manufacture to send you?

After contemplating this thread for a bit, I thought that maybe they ran out of service and grabbed a field since they are sold out on the service currently.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#25]
They are just making you a happy customer.

Nothing wrong with rifle. They will put that on the rack at store and sell it to someone happy to get a example of the known lack of IHC Forging quality control.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They are just making you a happy customer.

Nothing wrong with rifle. They will put that on the rack at store and sell it to someone happy to get a example of the known lack of IHC Forging quality control.
View Quote
Yup. I’d a kept that one for sure. Casting character is great. Original barrelntoo. They will re sell no problem
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I made 2 trips there to hand pick my rifle . Glad I did .
My manual clearly says these are used rifles with no wareenty or guarantee .
Good luck .
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is a forging!  
View Quote
Why do they keep calling it a casting?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My manual clearly says these are used rifles with no wareenty or guarantee .
Good luck .
View Quote
If he ordered and paid for a Service Grade and they sent a Field Grade, that's not a no warranty or guarantee issue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad you got a refund.  $950 should get you a rifle that was not abused
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll be interested to see what they send back to you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll be interested to see what they send back to you.
View Quote
Well, hopefully it's not another pitted-up, weird-looking dog of an M1.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
CMP looked at the photos, and agreed that the rifle should not have made it out, and in sending a return tag.....
View Quote
Glad to hear they are providing you with great customer service. Hope the replacement meets your expectations.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Would you send this back?
View Quote
No, I would not.

Of the two major issues, the stock and the receiver damage, I would be most unhappy about the use of a new stock.

The good news there, you can probably sell your new stock and fund a used GI stock at little or no cost differential.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#38]
That stock is a Hackelberry stock.  As for the defects on the heel of the receiver, I'm almost certain that the markings are from abuse, and not the manufacturing process.  If the IHC rifles were few, I'd keep this one, but looks like the CMP have more.  I've looked for examples of IHC forging defects on line, and haven't found any images.  Kind of sure that the IHC Garand's never made it to Korea, thinking that the conflict was at a stalemate by then.

Does anyone have photos of IHC defects that they can post, or post a link to?

I have about 10-15 Garand stocks the I bought 15 years ago, I remember trying to identify the manufacturer from the stock's profile, but didn't have much luck. I know I have at least two birch stocks, and the rest are walnut.  If I post some images, can anyone tell what manufactures I may have? I do know that none have any S/N's stamped inside.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If he ordered and paid for a Service Grade and they sent a Field Grade, that's not a no warranty or guarantee issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do they have a replacement of the right manufacture to send you?

After contemplating this thread for a bit, I thought that maybe they ran out of service and grabbed a field since they are sold out on the service currently.
If you contemplated the thread more you would have seen that he stated he mistyped and in fact ordered a field grade.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That stock is a Hackelberry stock.  As for the defects on the heel of the receiver, I'm almost certain that the markings are from abuse, and not the manufacturing process.  If the IHC rifles were few, I'd keep this one, but looks like the CMP have more.  I've looked for examples of IHC forging defects on line, and haven't found any images.  Kind of sure that the IHC Garand's never made it to Korea, thinking that the conflict was at a stalemate by then.

Does anyone have photos of IHC defects that they can post, or post a link to?

I have about 10-15 Garand stocks the I bought 15 years ago, I remember trying to identify the manufacturer from the stock's profile, but didn't have much luck. I know I have at least two birch stocks, and the rest are walnut.  If I post some images, can anyone tell what manufactures I may have? I do know that none have any S/N's stamped inside.
View Quote
It almost looks like severe corrosion.  It looks like it was refinished.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you contemplated the thread more you would have seen that he stated he mistyped and in fact ordered a field grade.
View Quote
https://youtu.be/PSWgew3Ird8
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, you got what you ordered. For what that's worth.

Makes my non-CMP IHC look better every time these threads pop during releases.

Sell it OP and buy one that you can see via gunbroker or in person. Cmp lotto game ain't for you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Sent in back today, the folks at CMP agree that the marks are from misuse, and not a manufacturing flaw. I’ll post updates and photos of the replacement.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sent in back today, the folks at CMP agree that the marks are from misuse, and not a manufacturing flaw. I’ll post updates and photos of the replacement.
View Quote
Good luck. I remember a thread (though can't remember if here or cmp forum) where someone was unhappy that his rifle didn't meet description. Sent it back, only to get more of the same and in some ways worse.

Luckily, I've had good luck with the blind draw. Here's to hoping your second helping is a better one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Finger's crossed.  This is my 6th rifle I've ordered, I got in on the carbines, the 1903's and the Mossberg .22's as well as two other Garands.  This new Hackberry wood needs to stop, I'd rather CMP go with the old "Woodless Dane Rack Grade" route.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#47]
I received my CMP Service Grade IHC last week.  Overall ok, not many IHC parts on it though.  It does have a WRA NM Op rod which I imagine might be worth some coin to someone.  Came with a CMP walnut stock, searching for a reasonable USGI replacement....

Good luck OP, hope you get a nice replacement
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Finger's crossed.  This is my 6th rifle I've ordered, I got in on the carbines, the 1903's and the Mossberg .22's as well as two other Garands.  This new Hackberry wood needs to stop, I'd rather CMP go with the old "Woodless Dane Rack Grade" route.
View Quote
Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, hopefully it's not another pitted-up, weird-looking dog of an M1.
View Quote
Meh...most of them are this anyway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do not return it expecting a better rifle.
View Quote
This....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top