Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 8:17:59 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with the Hydra-SS?  They look amazing and I have heard good things about CGS products and customer service.  Silencer Shop now has them in stock and is temping.  Did the baffles get changed because on SS website they appear, from looking at older reviews, to now be notched and have less than 10 in the previous version?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
New CGS Hydras for 2020, such as what Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory have, are all outfitted with Siren type baffles. The SS model has a stainless version of the Siren baffle and also now has a PVD coated tube for better and more consistent coloring. They don't have the first round pop reducer that the Siren has.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New CGS Hydras for 2020, such as what Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory have, are all outfitted with Siren type baffles. The SS model has a stainless version of the Siren baffle and also now has a PVD coated tube for better and more consistent coloring. They don't have the first round pop reducer that the Siren has.
View Quote
@paco_ramirez

Not sure what you mean by the highlighted above.

Also, are the Siren baffles better than the previous baffles the Hydra had? Does this apply for the Hydra-Al as well?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@paco_ramirez

Not sure what you mean by the highlighted above.

Also, are the Siren baffles better than the previous baffles the Hydra had? Does this apply for the Hydra-Al as well?
View Quote
It's in this video: Link

It applies to both Hydra AL and Hydra SS. The Siren baffles are quieter than the old baffles.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's in this video: Link

It applies to both Hydra AL and Hydra SS. The Siren baffles are quieter than the old baffles.
View Quote
SS must be working with old descriptions bc they list the Hydra Al baffles as the Orion type.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

SS must be working with old descriptions bc they list the Hydra Al baffles as the Orion type.
View Quote
Could be old, I'll have to take a look at the rest. Some info on our website is outdated as well. But the baffle in the Siren is just what we're calling Orion V2. It's based on the Kraken/MOD 9 just scaled down to 22LR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We also have the new Hydra SS in stock.
View Quote
@HansohnBrothers

Can you confirm your stock has the updated Siren baffles?

TIA
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are PVD coated and no longer raw heat treated metal for appearance?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems like I recall Jeremy S having one in his 22 comparison lineup YouTube video.  It sounded good in that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
They confirmed the tubes are now rainbow PVD.  I ordered one .  The reviews and videos I have seen were very positive and assume the redesigned baffles are even quieter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They confirmed the tubes are now rainbow PVD.  I ordered one .  The reviews and videos I have seen were very positive and assume the redesigned baffles are even quieter.
View Quote
Thanks for buying, they are quieter.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any upgrade options for older Hydra owners, or not worth it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That probably won't happen. It's not just baffles that get replaced, it's everything except for the tube.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Paco... any plans to build a Siren with Ti baffles?   Might be a really cool combination of materials.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey Paco... any plans to build a Siren with Ti baffles?   Might be a really cool combination of materials.
View Quote
No, that'd defeat the purpose. There may be other stuff in the future with Ti though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That probably won't happen. It's not just baffles that get replaced, it's everything except for the tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Copy, I’m pretty happy with my Hydra anyway.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, that'd defeat the purpose. There may be other stuff in the future with Ti though.
View Quote
What would the weight look like with Ti baffles?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What would the weight look like with Ti baffles?
View Quote
It depends. If they're the same thickness they'll be heavier. If they're thinned out because they don't need to be as thick it'll loose some sound performance most likely. It'd probably be around 3.5oz if I were to guess.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It depends. If they're the same thickness they'll be heavier. If they're thinned out because they don't need to be as thick it'll loose some sound performance most likely. It'd probably be around 3.5oz if I were to guess.
View Quote
That is still damn lightweight in my book and would make me interested. I know I'm only one guy but I just can't get myself to buy an aluminum baffle rimfire can.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is still damn lightweight in my book and would make me interested. I know I'm only one guy but I just can't get myself to buy an aluminum baffle rimfire can.
View Quote
Same here.  Ive done the aluminum thing in the past.   Never again...especially for a rimfire can.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know if the Hydra is rated for the 5.7x28mm?

I am trying to decide between this and the DA Mask. The Mask says it will do 5.7, I cannot confirm this with the Hydra.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the Hydra is rated for the 5.7x28mm?

I am trying to decide between this and the DA Mask. The Mask says it will do 5.7, I cannot confirm this with the Hydra.
View Quote
Hydra SS for 5.7x28.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Same here.  Ive done the aluminum thing in the past.   Never again...especially for a rimfire can.
View Quote
If you have enough rimfire cans a lightweight aluminum unit has its place. For deep M-style fabrication baffles normally I’d stay away from aluminum but a good surface finish/coating and baffle rotation should keep that can effective until the HPA passes or anything metal requires a nanny-note from The Central Scrutinizer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
A local shop I pop into when I get a chance had some of the CGS stuff today.  All of the photos have made that Hydra look very rainbow like but the one they had in the shop today was a dull gray with just a hint of color depending on the angle you were looking at it.  No Sirens there or I might have said screw it and bought one on the spot.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of the very colorful finish but if these new ones are all more dull gray now I could see myself maybe wanting one of these.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A local shop I pop into when I get a chance had some of the CGS stuff today.  All of the photos have made that Hydra look very rainbow like but the one they had in the shop today was a dull gray with just a hint of color depending on the angle you were looking at it.  No Sirens there or I might have said screw it and bought one on the spot.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of the very colorful finish but if these new ones are all more dull gray now I could see myself maybe wanting one of these.
View Quote
That's going to be one of the old ones and is why the colored ones were changed to a new process. I won't have an answer on whether black Hydra SSs are going to be a thing for a few weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top