Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2022 8:30:30 PM EDT
Planning to load some 158gr HiTek coated 9mm.
Have loaded 165gr plated in 9mm with AA #7 in the past, soft shooting and accurate enough at 25yds.
All out of AA #7, but have plenty of CFE Pistol and Longshot on hand.
Anyone load heavy 9's with either of these powders?
What was your starting charge?
Will be fired through variety of 9mm pistols.
*UPDATE*
Success!
Longshot worked well enough to pursue load development.
Used minimum charge weight for 147gr and reduced it by 10%, then went up twice in 0.3gr increments.
As expected, the middle charge gave best results, 832fps average, 1.5" 5 shot group at 15yds.
Soft shooting, no pressure signs, and I still have all my fingers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have run CFE-P with Hornady XTP bullets in 124 and 147 grain weights just fine, but not as heavy as yours.

It was easy enough to work with and I just started with Hodgdon’s and Hornady’s data.

The G34 went 1200 with the 124s no problems, and an SP-01 went 1180 with no issues either.

So far, I don’t have lots of time with CFE-P, but I didn’t find anything not to like.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Planning to load some 158gr HiTek coated 9mm.
Have loaded 165gr plated in 9mm with AA #7 in the past, soft shooting and accurate enough at 25yds.
All out of AA #7, but have plenty of CFE Pistol and Longshot on hand.
Anyone load heavy 9's with either of these powders?
What was your starting charge?
Will be fired through variety of 9mm pistols.
View Quote

CFE-Pistol will usually fit under a heavy bullet in 9mm.

Many of the slower powders make a compressed mess in trying to do high volume loading with heavy bullets in 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top