Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2020 11:56:17 AM EDT
These aren't the bottom of the barrel but maybe close.
I think these are about 40 years old.
What say the experts?
TIA
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
These aren't the bottom of the barrel but maybe close.
I think these are about 40 years old.
What say the experts?
TIA
https://i.imgur.com/NNhm9V0.jpg
View Quote

How were they stored?

Dry, environmentally protected from heat etc?  Good to go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
They will most likely fire
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
No sure, but I think they were stored in an outdoor shed.
Not mine. Belong to a friend.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a primer expert but stored in a shed would give me pause.  They probably aren't dangerous, just may not go bang.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a primer expert but stored in a shed would give me pause.  They probably aren't dangerous, just may not go bang.
View Quote

My thoughts too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently got older boxes of primers just like those. So far I haven’t had a single issue. As long as they were stored ok they should go bang.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Load up 10 or so and see how they do?  If they all go bang load up the others.  However I'd keep them separate from your other reloads and obviously only use for range/fun rounds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Loaded some that looked the same a couple weeks ago. They were brown instead of yellow but they still went bang.

I bought them from a paw shop a few panics ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 20+ year old CCI primers that all go bang nicely but they have been stored in a climate controlled room.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have 20+ year old CCI primers that all go bang nicely but they have been stored in a climate controlled room.
View Quote

I wouldn't think twice about using primers like that.
I'll load up a few of these and test them. They were kept dry in ammo boxes, just subjected to year round ambient temps of 15-100*F for 20 years or so.
No telling how they were stored before that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought CCI primers in the 70's and 80's still have some.  Those primers look different (older) than any I remember from back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought CCI primers in the 70's and 80's still have some.  Those primers look different (older) than any I remember from back in the day.
View Quote

That was my question.
I guess-timated these were circa 1980 +/-.
How long has CCI been in business?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those are earlier packaging than the CCI primers I was buying in 1977.

I would load them up.

https://i.imgur.com/j3onRoXl.jpg

CCI's in this pic from the 70's. Your primers are older than these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those are earlier packaging than the CCI primers I was buying in 1977.

I would load them up.

https://i.imgur.com/j3onRoXl.jpg

CCI's in this pic from the 70's. Your primers are older than these.

The CCI in the picture is exactly like the ones I have bought around 1975 when I got into reloading.

I have the same primers in my reloading room/shop, just saw some the other day, had a sticker $5.00 for 1000

OP, guessing your primers are 1960's???
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I just loaded up a bunch of 9mm ammo with those same era small pistol primers. The back of the box should read Cascade Cartridge Inc. Lewiston, Idaho. The ones I shot all went bang. I also used the same small rifle primers for some 300 BLK. I believe those are from the 60s or early 70s. My buddy has the Police drop off stuff like that all of the time. A widow or the heirs don't know what to do with old Pop's reloading stuff, so they take to the Police Dept. They drop it off at my buddy's shop. If he doesn't want it I generally end up with it. I still have some of the CCI primers pictured earlier from the mid 70s that I haven't got to yet. I have never had a component that wasn't obvious damaged not shoot fine. If the primers are stained from water or funky I don't waste my time. I did get a box of funky factory 38 Specials that most wouldn't fire but I shot those through my old Smith model 28 that gun is a beast. The ones that didn't fire I broke down for the bullets and cases. Dumped the powder and deprimed the cases. I don't throw anything usable away. Very rarely is the powder bad as long as it smells and looks good. I also compare it to known powder to make sure it is whats in the powder can. I load low to start and work my way up. I don't take what's in the can for granted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not just load up a sample test batch .   5 to 10 rounds .  Not 50 to 100 rounds .

Then decide if you want to try more .

The outdoor storage could be an issue .  Proceed with caution .     Not because of a boom but a fizzle .

gd
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Those primers are from the 60s.

CCI switched to white/green around 1970, beige/red around 1980, white/red around 1990, and then into the semi modern blue/yellow in early 2000s.

I had just talked to CCI this morning about a beige/red box of primers I received in trade. With pics and lot code they determined it was from 1980.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are that curious, email CCI with the lot number.
I've asked the same questions about power lots and gotten responses.  

I have to ask.............Why did you scrub the name (?) on the price sticker?????
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You ever use old primers before?
View Quote

1980 era Winchesters.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]
CCI helped me determine the age of some old primers. I would contact them.

You might be surprised how resilient old ammunition and components can be. For example, I found a box of my uncle's .30-30 handloads that had been stored in a metal shed for about 20 years worth of brutal Texas summer heat. Other than tarnish, the rounds were in perfect working order.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the info. They are a lot older than my guess-timate.

My friend is shifting gears and shrinking his collection and has a few primers available.  
I will use these old primers for plinking  loads.
Last night he told me he has some recent Winchester primers I will use to load an obscure round.

30-30 premium hunting rounds for a single shot H&R Handi-Rifle.
I have worked up a load with 150 gr. Speer SST and H-Revolution.
Next will be 165 gr. Nosler BT.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Late 60's is the time period for those. Are they in the paper dividers?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Unless the primers were subjected to large, rapid shifts in temperature, they should be fine.

I have about half a brick of CCI primers that were in a shed for two years, then in an attic for a couple more years, and they have fired perfectly.  Before I loaded them I contacted CCI.  They said basically what my first sentence says.

Primers are not delicate flowers.  Of course you want to avoid doing anything to reduce their sensitivity or impair their function, but my experiments have shown that “killing” a primer is awfully hard.  They can tolerate soaking in water, and once they’re dry they work fine.  I haven’t been able to deactivate primers with solvents (including alcohol and acetone), either.

One more note: CENTURY-OLD corrosive primers in surplus ammunition are still working.  Noncorrosive primers do not have the same track record, but ammo from the 1950s with early noncorrosive primers is showing up and still going “bang.”
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone just gave me a couple thousand of those stored in a PA garage.

Loaded them up for open bolt sub gun and they worked fine.

Most guys won't get that chance, but at the end of the day they worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Practice ammo, they will fine!
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Late 60's is the time period for those. Are they in the paper dividers?
View Quote

They are in a blue/gray and black swirly colored plastic tray. Laying on their side.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I've immersed primers in water.

Then left them out to dry for a few days in air-conditioned room.

Every one of them performed as normal.

Unless the anvils show corrosion, I bet every one of them fires.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#30]
$.86/100 huh?  I'd give you $1/100

Mods - Just a joke (this is not an offer to buy on a forum other than the EE).  It is a cool find though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top