Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
These are some nice mini-14s in this post! Thanks for sharing guys!

I sold mine awhile back and got an M1A Socom 16  Seemed like a big brother.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought this one during the Walmart clearance, and it’s been sitting in the safe for several years. Was in a lgs and saw they had the 30rd mags for $32 so I grabbed a couple yesterday and when I got home found a home for a Prostaff that I bought on clearance a while back. Shoulders well, so going to try it out

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have rotated through a number of them years ago, I gave up on them due to the accuracy issues.  I really wanted to like them, they just sucked.  The AR is a better platform for accurate shooting.

I started out with the M1A NM for high power, and wanted a similar gun in 223.  The min 14 was not it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Recent production 584 serial guns are pretty decent accuracy wise.
The only mod you really need out of the box on a newer tactical model is a smaller gas bushing, everything else is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only mod you really need out of the box on a newer tactical model is a smaller gas bushing, everything else is a waste of money.
View Quote

I’m looking at the 5819 model. What kind of accuracy should I expect with say 5.56 55gr @ 100yds?
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm looking at the 5819 model. What kind of accuracy should I expect with say 5.56 55gr @ 100yds?Assuming using decent ammo
View Quote
Assuming decent quality ammo suitable for your modern, tapered barrel's 1-9" Rate of Twist, probably 2 MOA @ 100 YDS.

This also assumes a mechanically decent rifle.

https://sunflowerammo.blogspot.com/2012/11/ruger-mini-1430-barrel-twist-rates.html

Most modern, tapered-barel Mini-14s, barring rare mfg defects are about 2 MOA @ 100 yds with suitable ammo.

This can be improved-upon, but getting very close to 1 MOA gets expensive.

Tolerable expense, and fairly easy user-tinkering getting it to 1.5 MOA.

First thing to do before doing anything is to verify your Mini is flawless in function.  Make NO modifications, as Ruger hates such.  In the rare instance of a problem,  send it back to Ruger (Unmodified) with complaints clearly stated.  You paid for warranty; use it if needed.  Usually, this approach is seldom needed.

Generally, making sure the rifled action fits very snugly into the stock is first thing to address.  Syn stocks usually better than wooden stocks, but both can benefit from some "massaging" the wooden ones usually much more so.

Suggest replacing OEM Ruger flash suppressor with equivalent GI A2-style F/S, which has a closed bottom, and hence a little less muzzle rise during rapid fire, quicker target re-acquisition, and less dust signature while prone.  You'll need a couple of crush washers for this, one as a backup.  Cheap, and effective.

Aside from stock fit, and replacing the Flash Suppressor with a better one, most folks change the gas orifaces/ports within the gas block to a much smaller size, and use this opportunity to re-torque the gas block screws evenly--often a source of OEM assembly/accuracy problems.  Sandog on https://www.perfectunion.com/forums/ruger-mini-14-and-mini-30.86/ claims that 25 inch/pounds seems to yield best results.

Reason for gas port change is that Mini-14 comes from factory with HUGE diameter gas port, same as used in Mini-30.  Way too much gas for the 5.56 ctg.  Changed out my gas port/oriface for a smaller one and accuracy improved on my early pencil barrel rifle.  Can't say if your accuracy will improve as much as my very different Mini did, BUT, your Mini won't be battered by over-gassing.  I had to adjust sight "zero" after replacing OEM gas port/oriface; the new, smaller gas port/oriface allowed more gas behind the bullet, thus giving a little increased range, and so requiring initial sight zero change.  More Range=Better.

Note that I've said NOTHING about sights/optics.  The Mini-14 is a close-to-intermediate range rifle.  OEM iron sights can certainly be improved upon, but suggest addressing the fundamentals before considering such.  First things first.   If you require optics to shoot accurately, then definitely consider consulting the folks at above-linked PerfectUnion site.

Your late model Mini is probably a 2 MOA rifle, as-is, with decent ammo, assuming correct components/assembly.   Possible to make it a little better for scant expense, if you're willing to tinker a little.  If interested, go here: https://www.perfectunion.com/forums/ruger-mini-14-and-mini-30.86/

Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a decent NIB price for one of these rifles right now?

Just the basic ranch model. I usually try to use gunbroker to get a feel for prices but prices there are all over the place. Local shop has one but no clue what these normally sell for.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is a decent NIB price for one of these rifles right now?

Just the basic ranch model. I usually try to use gunbroker to get a feel for prices but prices there are all over the place. Local shop has one but no clue what these normally sell for.

Thanks
View Quote

decent price?  Or market price?

It looks like plenty of them are selling for $800-900 right now.  

Normal price as in pre-2020 would have been about $800 I think.  I'd look for used unless the NIB price was hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

decent price?  Or market price?

It looks like plenty of them are selling for $800-900 right now.  

Normal price as in pre-2020 would have been about $800 I think.  I'd look for used unless the NIB price was hard to beat.
View Quote

$899. So not the best but not the worst. I guess it depends on if I really want it or not. Thank you
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If considering a used Mini, consider that previous owner(s) used improper cleaning rods (uncoated steel) and no muzzle guide.

Have someone familiar with muzzle wear closely inspect the muzzle of any used rifle, no matter what.

I've seen a lot of Minis, M1 Garands, M-1 Carbines, and M1As with excessively worn muzzles, compared to their relatively small barrel throat wear, which seems to indicate that the rifles suffered from users using improper tools/techniques to clean the rifles/carbines from the muzzle.

All of the abovementioned rifles must be cleaned from the muzzle.  Unfortunately, GIs were issued field cleaning kits with uncoated steel cleaning rods.  Excessive muzzle wear is a natural consequence of this.  With  all these rifles, the users probably never thought about a coated rod, or even a brass cleaning rod, let alone a cleaning rod guide.

I've always thought that at least a PART of older "Pencil-Barrel" Minis having poor accuracy was at least partly due to their muzzles worn down by Bubba using improper tools/techniques, and the subsequent buyer(s) complaining about it forevermore. Don't blame them, but not necessarily the fault of the rifle. Many complaints about abused rifles sound like a general indictment, but some of the complaints might be due to the same abused Minis, re-circulated over and over again.   No way of substantationg this; just an educated guess.

Can't prove it, but it seems reasonable to suspect such sloppy care on the part of many owners, as well as undetected muzzle wear on the part of subsequent owners.

For example, I have a 186 series Mini-14, with original Pencil barrel.  As-bought, the rifling at the muzzle was GTG.  With a good tight-fitting syn stock, a Choate Front Sight/Flash suppressor, and an appropriate barrel stabilizer, My 1-7" ROT Pencil-Barrel Mini shoots about 2 MOA with decent ammo--NOT specifically tailored ammo, but simply decent ammo.  FWIW, have made additional mods to bring down the MOA group, but that's another story.

Older Minis can benefit from some other simple mods, as mentioned, but make sure to take a close, informed look at the muzzle before buying!

If muzzle rifling only slightly worn, a simple, inexpensive re-crowning might do, often user-done.  If more severe, perhaps a gunsmith can slightly counterbore the muzzle back a bit to get to good rifling.  Again, not terribly expensive.

In some severe cases, barrel replacement will be required; various options for this, all expensive, if the rifle is out of warranty, as most are.  

For the most part, Minis are highly reliable firearms.  Users of such should have spare parts on-hand for all extractor and ejector components within the bolt, as well as main/action spring.  M1/M1A hand-held bolt tool can be used to work on the Mini bolt, as long as a suitable length 1/4" drive socket is used as a spacer. BTDT.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd buy a Mini30 to go with my 14, LONG before I ever bought another AR!  Hell, who am I kidding, going to buy a Mini30 anyway!
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’m looking at the 5819 model. What kind of accuracy should I expect with say 5.56 55gr @ 100yds?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Honda4828

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m really wanting to get a Mini-14 and a Samson A-Team folder and the Hannibal rail.
I prefer to keep the rifle price low, and the Ranch rifle in stainless fits that, as compared to the tactical model.

My question is about flash hiders/ muzzle breaks - are there ones that slip over or under the factory front site?   It looks like there are some options, but before I spend on the gun and flash hider upgrade I’d want to make sure they’re compatible.   Looks like some might fit by taking out the existing front site roll pin and then putting on the flash hider and new roll pin.   Just want to make sure that is correct.

This will just be for a fun gun to shoot, while “singing” the A-Team intro music.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey RAF as someone who owned three of the pencil barreled minis that I bought new from my LGS I can say that at least in my experience they had poor accuracy right from the factory. I was pretty careful about how I cleaned the barrels.  Like other posters in this thread I gave up on the Mini platform a number of years ago.  

To me the solution is simple.  A .750 diameter barrel end to end including under the gas block would greatly improve things.  I was excited when Ruger released the target model only to be disappointed at the end to end barrel profile.

There is something about the mini I always liked.  Maybe one day Ruger will figure this out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey RAF as someone who owned three of the pencil barreled minis that I bought new from my LGS I can say that at least in my experience they had poor accuracy right from the factory. I was pretty careful about how I cleaned the barrels.  Like other posters in this thread I gave up on the Mini platform a number of years ago.  

To me the solution is simple.  A .750 diameter barrel end to end including under the gas block would greatly improve things.  I was excited when Ruger released the target model only to be disappointed at the end to end barrel profile.

There is something about the mini I always liked.  Maybe one day Ruger will figure this out.
View Quote
Well, I sent my Mini back to Ruger long ago for some "factory-fitted" spare parts, and "mentioned" that accuracy was not to my satisfaction.  To my surprise, Ruger installed a different bolt, and carefully headspaced the bolt.  At their expense.  When received, the Mini shot FAR better than before.

After that, I began to investigate other means of augmenting accuracy, since I had a decent place to go from.

I don't discount your experiences.  Just stating my own personal experiences. Both of us can be right at the same time, I reckon.  

Modern Mini-14s have a thicker barrel where it counts, and are usually decent rifles.  There are many different ways to "fix" older Minis, but that is a thread in itself.

All I can say is my non-"buggered" Pencil-barrel mini, with original Pencil barrel, but with significant upgrades, is a 2 MOA rifle, with decent ammo, all day long.

I KNOW my  pre-Ban Colt Match HBAR will beat my Mini-14 for accuracy, using identical ammo, but that is a 20" heavy bbl with a longer iron sight radius.

Colt also beat the Mini-14 with optics but not not quite as much.

FWIW most Mil rifles are "accepted' as long as the rifle shoots 4 MOA with Mil ammo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I know just a  little about Mini 14s, but What is the extended gas tube/operating rod tube on these?
It’s not something factory standard?  Does it require a Barrel replacement too?
if it’s an upgrade, who makes it/installs it?  Does make it look better, how does it improve operation?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know just a  little about Mini 14s, but What is the extended gas tube/operating rod tube on these?
It's not something factory standard?  Does it require a Barrel replacement too?
if it's an upgrade, who makes it/installs it?  Does make it look better, how does it improve operation?
View Quote
What you see in some Pix is called a "Barrel Strut".  It's designed to work with an early Pencil-barreled Mini-14.  The Dual Clamp unit works well, but the single clamp unit is useless bling, as per mfr.  Just clamps on to the barrel.  Buy the correct unit for your Mini.  AccuStrut  Other makers, but I have come to trust the original maker from his presence on the usual web sites.  YMMV.

Excellent add-on for early Pencil barrel Min-14s, but also depends on whether the Mini-14 has been "buggered" by pervious owner(s).  Will work as advertised on a non-"buggered" Mini from personal knowledge/experience.  I prefer the dual clamp "Drilled" model, as it adds less  forward weight to the rifle while adding support to the barrel.

None of these devices will help with a damaged/'buggered" barrel.

Not usually needed on later, thicker barrel Mini-14s.  Most Mini-30s had somewhat thicker barrels, so perhaps not needed on those particular rifles.

Some users of later thicker-barreled mini-14s and mini-30s have claimed accuracy enhancements, but jury is still out, IMHO.

If you have any Mini14 or Mini-30, strongly suggest you have the rifling at the muzzle inspected by an expert.  Since these rifles must be cleaned from the muzzle, it's common to see that the rifling at the muzzle has been damaged by improper cleaning tools/technique.  Same as with some GI rifles and Carbines.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I love the pics of your all wood stocked actual "mini-14".  You need a straight 20 rounder for it, and a bayonet lug.

I'd like to have a Mini-14 just to play w/, have quite a few RamLine dual-use mags for one, can't pull the trigger on one for more than I can throw a decent AR together.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:18:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I sent the trigger groups from my mini 14 and mini 30 away to get worked on. Both have decent triggers which help with accuracy, then put struts on both, which tightened the groups also.  I bought my first Mini when only Colt and Armalite AR rifles were available to civilians and pretty pricey.  Anyway, I'm a fan of the rifle.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top