Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2018 4:29:56 PM EDT
Time to buy another 8# jug of pistol powder.  I have been using Bullseye for .380, 9mm, .45, and .38 special.  I'll be adding .45 Colt to the mix in the future.  I like a do all powder I can buy in bulk.  Should I buy True Blue instead of Bullseye?  Is it worth the  $30-40 extra?

Sell me on it boys.  Tell me why I should change everything over.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I took dryflash3 advice when he said True Blue throws exact in a progressive press powder measure and it does.

I've only loaded 9mm with it but it works like charm in the S1050.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Never used True Blue but here's two questions for you:

What would TB do for you that Bullseye cannot?

Is there an adequate load database for your chosen calibers if you switched powders?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never used True Blue but here's two questions for you:

What would TB do for you that Bullseye cannot?
This is what I want to know.  I will be loading on a progressive in the near future.

Is there an adequate load database for your chosen calibers if you switched powders?

I think so? Ramshot has pretty good data.  I'm not sure if it is in all my other load books.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of matches have been won by guys shooting Bullseye powder.

Is there something it isn’t doing for you, OP?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is there something it isn’t doing for you, OP?
View Quote
I'm pretty happy with it for the most part.  It's pretty dirty.  I'm also not sure how well it will meter in a progressive.

Plus there are a lot True Blue acolytes around here.  Wondering why they love it and whether it is worth the switch over.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
My recommendation is always buy one pound (locally to avoid the shipping).  Try it.  If you like it then buy the bigger jug.

You may find you don’t like something, not snappy/too snappy a bit of flash, not much cleaner than what you were using etc    I am not saying that is the case with True blue but a single pound is enough to wring it out.

ETA. I do have preferences for slower slide speeds.  To me that is more shootable.   Some like a fast fast slide cycle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
True Blue is my favorite pistol powder, bar none. I primarily use it in 9mm, but have used it in 380, 38, 32l, 32acp, and 25acp with excellent success.

If I had to choose one powder to buy by the keg, it’d be true blue.

That being said, I don’t dislike bullseye; right now I’m working up a 9mm plinking load with it. But to be honest the only reason I’m doing that is because I have 6#s of it sitting in my powder magazine and want to conserve my TB for full power stuff.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As the #1 fan of True Blue around here, that's what I recommend.
View Quote
What DF said. True Blue is awesome. Its meters like water and burns clean. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#15]
An older article, but it backs up what's being said here and makes a strong case for True Blue Western Powders Blog - True Blue

I've never seen True Blue on the shelf at any of the shops I visit.  I may need to toss in a pound on my next bulk powder order.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like an interesting powder to try.  I did notice that .45ACP and .40 S&W was not mentioned by any of you?  Is there a reason for that?  Not so suitable for them?  Curiouser and curiouser.

Just read the link in AeroEngineers post (one sentence quoted below)

Nonetheless, I have found with my own handloads that True Blue can be the best powder choice in some applications such as jacketed hollowpoint loads in .45 ACP and it’s a good choice to use as an example for why there is no single powder that can do it all.
View Quote
That appears to answer the question on .45ACP. if not .40S&W......

My next auto is probably going to be a 10mm, and I'm doing some reloading research on it.  Maybe that's on the too much side for True Blue, and yet it works great for .357.

Would be nice to have a powder like True Blue that measures like water for most if not all pistols.   I'm old and old fashioned.....Unique has filled that role pretty much for me since before some of you were born (except 2400 for .357)......now they are talking this powder up as a do all powder too.  And yet ...... the last line of the quote above ...... I'm am perked up and listening in learn mode.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm pretty happy with it for the most part.  It's pretty dirty.  I'm also not sure how well it will meter in a progressive.

Plus there are a lot True Blue acolytes around here.  Wondering why they love it and whether it is worth the switch over.
View Quote
Bullseye meters fine in progressives. I’d wager most shooters at Pistol Nationals were using Bullseye powder in progressive presses.

There could be reasons to switch to True Blue. Metering and accuracy are both positive attributes of Bullseye powder.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Not the same focus.  Different shooters, different needs ..... a lot of us are s.d. practicers with full or 3/4 loads, not target shooters of lighter target loads of the bullseye variety.

Nothing wrong with Bullseye for what it does best.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not the same focus.  Different shooters, different needs ..... a lot of us are s.d. practicers with full or 3/4 loads, not target shooters of lighter target loads of the bullseye variety.

Nothing wrong with Bullseye for what it does best.
View Quote
Bullseye can load hot loads in addition to target loads.

If the OP has Bullseye, it’s a versatile powder. If he wants to switch that’s fine too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I placed an order for a bunch of primers and 4lb of True Blue. Plan to use it almost exclusive in 9mm. I got plenty of WST for 45.  I feel so dirty for leaving W231.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dirty is staying with W-231.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I placed an order for a bunch of primers and 4lb of True Blue. Plan to use it almost exclusive in 9mm. I got plenty of WST for 45.  I feel so dirty for leaving W231.
Dirty is staying with W-231.
That's an interesting comment, Dryflash.  I left 231 for Winchester Superlite, then WW discontinued Superlite.  So I moved to AA-5 because it burns clean and it has wide applications across calibers.  I'm arriving late to 9mm.  I have some 231 left.  Would True Blue be cleaner than 231?  Arguably better than AA5?
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ve used True Blue in 9mm, 40 s&w, and 45 a.c.p.  It has worked well in all of them. Meters very well, pretty clean, and doesn’t give off a huge flash.

Now, I’m still pretty new to reloading and haven’t tried most of the powders out there but have tried quite a few so far and really like True Blue, especially for 9mm and 45 a.c.p.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would love to hear about your use of True Blue in 25 ACP.

I'm presently using 1.3 grs TiteGroup with a 50 gr FMJ in my Titan.

@unknownhavoc
View Quote
Sorry, I meant to check my books last night, but got totally sidetracked. I developed the load 4-5 years ago, and had excellent results in a Taurus PT-25PLY along with a pair of Armi-Galesi autoloaders.

I know I had to email Ramshot and they gave me the data, just have to dig it out.

As for the metering characteristics of BE vs TB, my Standard Deviation for True Blue tends to be 6-8. Bullseye tends to be around 8-12. So TB is more accurate, but for my needs, I consider 8-12 SD more than acceptable in any application, especially on a progressive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#27]
True Blue!!!!!!!

(Thanks dryflash)
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks guys.  This is going to be put in with a bulk powder order so I'm thinking that I should get a 4# keg of True Blue and a 4# keg of Bullseye as a safe backup.  I already have loads worked up for the Bullseye, so it shouldn't go to waste.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ah, the Arfcom wisdom of "get both".
View Quote
Bingo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would love to hear about your use of True Blue in 25 ACP.

I'm presently using 1.3 grs TiteGroup with a 50 gr FMJ in my Titan.

@unknownhavoc
View Quote
@dryflash3

Sorry it took so long. Data from Ramshot for True Blue:

50gr FMJ
COL: .890”
WSP

Start 1.8gr @700fps
Max 2.1gr @ 850fps.

I tested these before I had a chrono so can’t give you that data.

I found 2.0gr was giving me 3” groups at 12 feet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I started with 231, loading mostly 9mm, and a few 45s. It's getting close to time to order some powder.

It seems everyone around me locally is using Titegroup. For those that have used Titegroup and True Blue, how do you see the comparison? I'm usually loading 124s in 9MM.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I think you will be happy with true blue when you add 45 colt into the mix.

My personal experience with bullseye in that caliber was that it was very position sensitive. Giant case little itty bitty charge.

Still use bullseye for my .38 spl loads. Over 2k rounds a pound is hard to ignore for cost per round. But am in the process of switching every other round to different powder.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been a fan of Bullseye in all those calibers since the 1970's.  Personally, I would suggest you consider Sport Pistol instead since it is similar to Bullseye but shoots cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
True Blue is what you want.
View Quote
Howzit measure through a disk measure like the Lee Auto Disk Pro? Any leakage?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No idea. All of my PM's are metal.

How does your PM handle ball powder, your answer is there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still trying to get rid of a 4# jug of Universal. Then I have a 1# jug of 231 to try.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I agree with Dano523

apples & oranges

fast target powder vs medium burn rate

OP was wise to “get both”

also....nothing wrong with having a shelf full of different powders to test with
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Bullseye is a great powder for some things, but it is pretty “dense,” so you use only a tiny amount for just about any load.  Tightgroup is also fairly dense, and like Bullseye, you use only a little.  Both powders are easier to over- or double charge with.  True Blue is less dense, meters wonderfully (at least as well, if not better than Tightgroup), and burns pretty clean.  I use it in 9mm, .40, and I’m looking at .45 loads with it.

When I started figuring out .380, I was told to use 231 for just about any bullet weight.  Loads of 231 for 90-100gr bullets are small, starting at about 2.8gr for 100gr bullets and maxing out at 3.5gr for 90gr bullets.  That much 231 powder looks more like “a pinch”, even in a .380 case.  I researched volumes and densities and such, and wound up buying AA#5 specifically for .380, because the load range is wider and it’s impossible to double charge a .380 case with it.

Point is that “an ideal powder” would fill most of the available space in a case.  I read that somewhere, but I agree.  This helps prevent loading mistakes, and usually optimizes the powder’s burning characteristics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got a pound of Ramshot True Blue. Ramshot has VERY comprehensive load data!

I loaded some in 9MM with 124 gr RN Berry's plated.

Very fine grained ball powder, meters excellent from my old RCBS Powder measure (pre-UPC code box with prairie dog in crosshairs....)

I did not have time to set up the chrono and was doing some preliminary comparisons.

In comparison to a max load of HP-38 (Same as 231) I noticed the recoil was snappier, sharper report, and ejected casings noticeably further. So different, I am going to try a batch of 231 to confirm.

Compared to CFE Pistol, recoil, etc. was similar to True Blue.

True Blue was definitely very clean burning with almost no soot on the outside of the brass. All indications are you could do a days shooting without making the insides of the gun look like a public BBQ pit.

My 30 +/- year search for a clean-burning pistol powder is officially over. I like it!
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Still trying to get rid of a 4# jug of Universal. Then I have a 1# jug of 231 to try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turns out that my measure really likes 231 so I will definitely be trying True Blue (if I can find it) after I use up my 1# of 231.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Compared to CFE Pistol, recoil, etc. was similar to True Blue.
View Quote
How dirty was the CFE Pistol for you ?

I picked up 2 lbs of it at a local Academy couple months ago and just started reloading it to use it up..

I picked up 1lb  true blue to try along with 1 lbs of Unique since the Unique was cheap and used it for years and already know how dirty Unique is..  I had to travel in hour from my house to get the true blue since no one local sells it..  (Typical ar fashion get both, well several different powders since I had to travel)...

Trying to get to pretty much 2 powders for all my pistols if i can. I reload 25acp, 380, 9mm, 357 mag, 44 mag, 45acp long with 45 lc.. Mostly shoot 9mm and 45acp..

Right now leaning towards win296 for the "Mag hunting loads" and another powder

True blue seems to be very promising from what I'm reading from everyone here.  I hope it goes on sale like Tac did and ill buy a couple 8 lbs to last long time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been trying Shooter's World Clean Shot in place of Bullseye and getting very good results. Charges are same as Bullseye (IE 2.8 for a 38 wadcutter load). I've used it in 38, 45ACP & 44 Special so far.
Midsouth has a no hazmat sale right now on 4 lbs or more on SW powders.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
True
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top