Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2018 10:45:10 PM EDT
In the very preliminary stages right now.

Glued 2 x1” walnut boards together.

When I sand it, it matches. There will be a seam but less warping and when I need to center drill mounts it’s already done.

Attachment Attached File

Drew the stock pattern in the side. Will not cut it out until I use the router and cut a 1/2” rounded groove.

[edit 5/5/18]

Cut the barrel channel and fitted the receiver area.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.  Subbed
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Let the fun begin.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Stock from scratch is on my list
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Bookmarked. My girls have Rascals and may need greater LOP soon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Started to cut into the receiver area and glued on the ebony front.

Will use a 1/2” router rounded bit and run it through the entire top and then cut to fit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Cut in barrel channel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Cut main stock out and started shaping.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Did more inletting of the receiver, installed butt pad, and rounded the hand area.

Probably cut and start on the handguard tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thinned our the front stock and started in the ebony hand cap. Was planning on adding a handguard but I might skip out on it now.

Finish sanding and removing the scratch marks then it’s pure tung oil finish.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Looking Good!

ETA: Are you doing it custom for your kid?

On my restocks I like to customize the grip to my hand ( original stocks are retained for selling the rifle)

I paint my hand with finger paint and then gently relieve the contact areas to make a better fit.

Without over doing it, you can make the gun feel a lot better in your hand and still look good.

Your work looks awesome so far!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking Good!

ETA: Are you doing it custom for your kid?

On my restocks I like to customize the grip to my hand ( original stocks are retained for selling the rifle)

I paint my hand with finger paint and then gently relieve the contact areas to make a better fit.

Without over doing it, you can make the gun feel a lot better in your hand and still look good.

Your work looks awesome so far!
View Quote
Thanks! It’s more for me. Kids can use the factory stock. While this is only 2” longer length of pull it’s still short so it’s more of an intermediate length between the factory stock and a full adult length stock.

Gots lots of wood to remove in the grip/ rear stock area.

Wish I had fancier tools.

I’ll take a pic with what I had for this project.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
This is something I really want to do... and I have numerous blanks of highly figured Black Walnut pulled from my own property that are drying down for the next 3-5 years...
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven’t forgotten project. Lots of things got in the way.

Setback is I’m trying to find which screws are used to attach the stock to the rifle.

I ordered the wrong ones. Of course they’re not common threads.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally contacted savage and bad news. The screws for the stock at 12-32.

I cannot find 12-32 screws anywhere....

I thought I can order a set of the housings and open the 12-32 threads to 1/4”-32.

But the Savage rep said their rimfire rifles are made in Canada so they can’t sell me spare parts.

So it looks like the project is on hold.

Could a machinist make me 12-32 bolts?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you try McMaster Carr?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Finally contacted savage and bad news. The screws for the stock at 12-32.

I cannot find 12-32 screws anywhere....

I thought I can order a set of the housings and open the 12-32 threads to 1/4”-32.

But the Savage rep said their rimfire rifles are made in Canada so they can’t sell me spare parts.

So it looks like the project is on hold.

Could a machinist make me 12-32 bolts?
View Quote
A guy with a lathe could make the screw, there are plenty of tap and dies for that thread, but I cant find screws either. Even Mcmaster Carr doesnt have them.

Before you do that, try a metric 5mm. The diameter and thread pitch is close, it might work or work with a little effort.

Otherwise you're probably better off drilling and tapping it for a 1/4" screw. I cant imagine there is anything close enough to cause an issue with such a small difference in 1/4" and #12.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks! It’s more for me. Kids can use the factory stock. While this is only 2” longer length of pull it’s still short so it’s more of an intermediate length between the factory stock and a full adult length stock.

Gots lots of wood to remove in the grip/ rear stock area.

Wish I had fancier tools.

I’ll take a pic with what I had for this project.
View Quote
A good cabinet makers rasp is worth the $ for this kind of work.

I've done two from scratch.  The first one is glued up from 3 walnut boards and unless you're looking for it, it's really not noticeable.  The second was carver from a blank slab from Boyds.

I may get bored someday and thin out the pistol grip areas on them some day.  They are a little on the clubby side for anything other than bench work.

PS, I'm not really proud of them being hosted on Photobucket, but I don't have them saved anywhere else.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Think I will tap and thread for 1/4”-32.

I can easily buy 1/4”-32 bolts in the same length as OEM so I can go back to factory stock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#20]
IIRC Savage bought Lakefield (a Canadian .22 rifle maker) back in the late 90's.  My brother has a Lakefield .22.  You could check Numrich for Lakefield rifle screws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top