Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2018 7:03:46 PM EDT
Building a work bench for the gun room, about 8' wide

What do I want to use for a countertop? 1" plywood?

I'll mount a 4" bench vice and most likely a rock chucker
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
mine is 2x6 with a laminate sheet ontop to make it smooth.

If you are going to use plywood, I would double it up and glue it together.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I just built a couple of workbenches in my garage.  I bought a couple of 4x8 sheets of 1/2" thick laminate at Lowe's, and they even cut them to size for me for no additional charge.  Think they were like $26 each.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a work bench that has a nice plywood top and another that has a real short carpeting gon it for stuff like guns that I don’t want scratched. Works well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Pics?
Would laminate be better?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget some small molding all around the edge. Shit likes to roll.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't forget some small molding all around the edge. Shit likes to roll.
View Quote
Haha okay. Good call
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?
I dont have pics handy.  Its just a regular home built one.  the sheet i used is like 1/4 inch.. its just to make it smooth.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My bench is multi purpose. Reloading, woodworking and general mechanical work on stuff.

My top is 2 pieces of 3/4 inch glued together and screwed to the bench frame. Got a woodworker vise on one end and a 6 inch metal vise in the other.

The rock Chucker is mounted in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

I used butcher block from Menards's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
12 gauge stainless.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I used this one from Ikea, it's 100% solid oak butcher block type I drilled onto it and it's not pressboard.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60274964/
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with dryflash’s statement about two sheets of 3/4” plywood glued and screwed together.  Here is my most recent bench using that method.  The plywood is painted with Rustoleum oil based paint; about three coats.  I also top my benches with outdoor carpeting to keep stuff from rolling.  This has t-tracks for mounting tools like the swagger, trimmer, primer, etc.  They are all mounted on oak boards with holes that match the t-track; 12”on center.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I used two thicknesses of 3/4" MDF with a cover of 1/4" tempered hardboard. MDF is heavy, uniform, and a perfectly flat surface. You will want to support it every 16".

You have to go to a pretty high grade/expensive plywood these days to get something decent.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Building a work bench for the gun room, about 8' wide

What do I want to use for a countertop? 1" plywood?
View Quote
I designed my latest bench to use a 2x8 at the front edge of the structure to carry all the forces to the legs.  The benchtop itself is a piece of 11/32 waferboard that has been sanded, stained and varnished.  It mostly serves to keep things set on it from falling onto the floor as the underlying structure carries all the load.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I use laminate flooring, I normally run to the local Habitat store and pick up a case of it from them for between $5-$10 bucks, then I cut it to fit the bench, easy to clean up and won't absorb most chemicals.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I used a 8ft kitchen counter top that I picked up for $20 its smooth and has a backstop.I also glued and screwed 3/4 plywood to it for strength.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#18]
The thickness of plywood is somewhat dependent upon the substructure it sits on. My top is 3/4 inch, and I could have easily went 1/2. The idea you need super thick and stable tops probably assumes your frame is the standard box frame. In my case I ran an extra support beam right behind where the press bolts go through the top. Yes I have a few additional screws in the top, but they are countersunk so dont cause any problems.

The take away here is yes, you can build a super heavy top benchtop and it will work great. But with a bit of extra work underneath, you can get by with a thinner top and have the same support and rigidity where you need it. Around the press. With bonus points its a hell of a lot lighter should you need to move it! Note if you do go this route account for anything else you may want to mount....eg....A vice or 2nd press. I havent measured but I would assume not every mounted device has the same measurements as to where the mounting holes are located.

Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I should add the reason I currently shy away from heavy duty (although mostly heavy!) benches is I dont own a house. When I was a homeowner I built a big solid bench and loved it. Then it came time to move and I couldnt get the bench out without taking it apart! Fuck that. New home owner got himself a nice reloading bench.

But even my heavy duty bench only had a 3/4" top because it too had proper support where the presses mount. My old bench is the NRMA reloading bench. The front edge is incredibly well supported. Note that when I built the bench my press mounting holes werent *quite* far enough back so I had to shave a bit off the supporting 2x4 along the front. Measure twice and cut once....Nah, I just kept cutting till it was long enough.

NRMA bench

These days I just take a minimalist approach.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#20]
You still living in the same city you were in last year?  If you're still working at the same office you're not far from where I live. Might be able to get you a free section of counter top. Glue a piece of plywood underneath and it's good to go.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m building a new one now.

2 3/4” plywood sheets glued/screwed together on a 2x4 frame.

Then 4x4 legs with 2x4 cross bracing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You still living in the same city you were in last year?  If you're still working at the same office you're not far from where I live. Might be able to get you a free section of counter top. Glue a piece of plywood underneath and it's good to go.
View Quote
Colorado Springs. Work in Briargate
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#23]
@bradpierson26 check your PMs
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I used the counter top from ikea at the following link and can confirm it's 100% solid oak butcher block style because I had to drill into it.

They make a 98" or 74" see the drop down.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20274961/#/60274964

Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used two thicknesses of 3/4" MDF with a cover of 1/4" tempered hardboard. MDF is heavy, uniform, and a perfectly flat surface. You will want to support it every 16".

You have to go to a pretty high grade/expensive plywood these days to get something decent.
View Quote
I definitely agree with 2x 3/4" MDF. It makes a great benchtop. I have built several reloading benches using it (glued and screwed from the underside) and simply applying a little polyurethane. The poly will soak in but makes the surface cleanup much easier than untreated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I use the 3/4 or 5/8 sheet of plywood.  It is the thickest that is available at Home Depot and get the Birch/Maple, can't remember which one,  for the smooth surface.  I just make sure the support of the front of the bench is a 2x6 and that is where the loader are bolted into. I put it in flat side horizontal.

Never had a problem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top