Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2022 12:03:12 PM EDT
I appreciate you all putting up with my daily NV and optics questions.

I have another question regarding optics for passive shooting.

I am saving for a T2 or Eotech based on feedback from you guys. However, In the meantime I have a little cash to get into a 2nd tier optic and want to start training.

Are any of the 2nd Tier optics like the HS AEMS, PA 1x Micro Prism, Vortex AMG UH-1 worth a damn at NV or would I just be better off waiting 6 months for the T2 or Eotech?

Any other 2nd tier products you'd recommend?

Does anyone know or have opinions on what the new Aimpoint Micro PRO will be like under NV? I have an fullsize AP PRO now and it kinda sucks.

Thanks again gents!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both a T2 and a 1x pa prism.

I prefer the t2 under nods but the pa prism looks fine under them and the optic itself feels fairly robust.

I just wish it had some flip covers like the t2.

I'm just a normal dude so I'm not banging my stuff around too much outside of laying in the desert and chucking my rifle in the bed of a truck or trunk of a car.

Hopefully I get some classes in this year and get to see how durable the prism really is.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I prefer the t2 under nods but the pa prism looks fine under them and the optic itself feels fairly robust.

I'm just a normal dude so I'm not banging my stuff around too much outside of laying in the desert and chucking my rifle in the bed of a truck or trunk of a car.

Hopefully I get some classes in this year and get to see how durable the prism really is.
View Quote

Thank You. Aron Cowan @Sage Dynamics liked both the UH-1 and the AEMS for general shooting and NV, and they passed his shoulder height drop tests on concrete. I am trying to see if he did a review of the PA 1x.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The Sig/PA Micro, Holosun/Vortex Micro RDS with NV settings all work decently. They'll be a little darker then an AP, but will all be serviceable. I mainly use the AP Comp series RDS and never have a problem with them although they're bigger then most micro RDS, but are built to take a lot of abuse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you afford an Aimpoint Pro?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank You. Aron Cowan @Sage Dynamics liked both the UH-1 and the AEMS for general shooting and NV, and they passed his shoulder height drop tests on concrete. I am trying to see if he did a review of the PA 1x.
View Quote

I have a gen 2 UH1 as well.   I like it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
honestly if it were me I would sit tight and wait for your T2.

the money you spend on an optic you know you are going to ditch in a few months will pay for a Unity mount for the T2 and probably have change left over.

I admit that it sucks a T2 and mount are so expensive but thats just the way it is sometimes. I did get my T2 on sale a few months ago which basically never happens on aimpoint stuff, I was just lucky.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Sig/PA Micro, Holosun/Vortex Micro RDS with NV settings all work decently. They'll be a little darker then an AP, but will all be serviceable. I mainly use the AP Comp series RDS and never have a problem with them although they're bigger then most micro RDS, but are built to take a lot of abuse.
View Quote

i'll add from experience that the vortex micro RDS with NV settings suck, I ditched it for a T2 a few months ago because it sucked.

The NV settings are whacked out on it for some reason. There are 2 settings and neither of them are bright enough to use.

You end up having to use the lowest daylight settings which is to bright for nods.

the others you mention may be fine but my experience with the vortex left a lot to be desired. then again its a $150 RDS
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you afford an Aimpoint Pro?
View Quote

I have the AP PRO. In my opinion it's just OK under NV and have heard the T2 and Eotech are much better.
I was hoping one of the other "smaller and lighter" budget optics would work at least as good as the PRO but hopefully better.
Thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw a video where somebody tie wrapped the bikini cover to the mount and it seemed to work OK.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]
You've seen the PA 1x Micro pic, so you know that is really good. The Tactical Accountant(s) YT Channel shows the UH1 Gen II to not be that great at IR light transmission, and I think a couple of guys in here corroborated it.

TA - EOT vs UH1G2
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You've seen the PA 1x Micro pic, so you know that is really good. The Tactical Accountant(s) YT Channel shows the UH1 Gen II to not be that great at IR light transmission, and I think a couple of guys in here corroborated it.

TA - EOT vs UH1G2
View Quote

I can attest to the lack of light transmission on the UH1 Gen II.  Its usable but notably darker than all of my other optics, Holosuns included.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The PA 1x prism light transmission is actually quite good. Under NODs I'd put it between an aimpoint and holosun.

That's one of the reasons I just recently dumped my EXPS 3-0 for another micro prism.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have the AP PRO. In my opinion it's just OK under NV and have heard the T2 and Eotech are much better.
I was hoping one of the other "smaller and lighter" budget optics would work at least as good as the PRO but hopefully better.
Thoughts?

View Quote

My .02, save for the T2 or EoTech.  Watch EuroOptic.  They run good sales from time to time along with the EE
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My .02, save for the T2 or EoTech.  Watch EuroOptic.  They run good sales from time to time along with the EE
View Quote

Thanks. I am saving for the T2, but in the meantime bought a PA 1x to try. I need to start practicing now with passive aiming. If I don't like it for NV I'll throw it on another rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#15]
UH1 Gen 2 vs my Eotech exps3-0 is a huge difference.  The light transmission throught the exps3-0 is so much better its really no questions when they are side by side.  Is the UH1 Gen 2 serviceable? Yes, absolutely, but for the cost of those id rather cough up an extra $50-$100 and get the eotech if a holographic is what you are after.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
UH1 Gen 2 vs my Eotech exps3-0 is a huge difference.  The light transmission throught the exps3-0 is so much better its really no questions when they are side by side.  Is the UH1 Gen 2 serviceable? Yes, absolutely, but for the cost of those id rather cough up an extra $50-$100 and get the eotech if a holographic is what you are after.
View Quote

I watched several videos on the UH1 Gen 2. Most did not find it great under NV, although a couple did. The PA 1X Microprism has been great in the daylight, but I have not tried it under NV yet. Some folks have claimed it works well. I would buy the EXPS 3-0 in a heartbeat, but I leave my optic on continuously so a 600 hour battery life is a show stopper for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe a holosun 407 or Sig Romeo 5. I prefer the compm5, best passive sight I’ve used, well worth the money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Maybe a holosun 407 or Sig Romeo 5. I prefer the compm5, best passive sight I’ve used, well worth the money.
View Quote

Sig Romeo 5 is barely usable from my experience on my 10-22 not a lot of light gets through it. If I had dual tubes it might be better to use but with a PVS-14 its not that good.

I thought though I saw a post about one of the holosun Red dots (T2 clones) that worked basically as good as a T2 and no I'm not talking about the AEMS. It might of been a higher end Sig red dot idk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

BLUF - all I use are Eotech's. I've tried all of these mentioned herein and just keep coming back to the EXPS3. I really liked the look and feel of the Gen Huey but it felt like a boat anchor! Its only .2oz heavier but just made the front end feel way too heavy. Agreed on light trans and to me a crisper reticle under NODs. They just raised their prices recently but you can always find one in the EE. Side note: I'm sure everyone has seen this by now which doesn't mean much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top