Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2024 1:37:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966]
Here’s a budget carbon bump helmet review, it was discussed in one of the helmet threads and I finally got around to reviewing it

A Carbon Bump for the Masses
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Good job.

I think that's the first "NV review" type video I've watched in it's entirety in a long while. You kept it interesting with the shooting asides.
View Quote

Sheesh thanks, coming from you is a big compliment. Our first video so I already see where improvements need to be made. Glad I was able to hold the attention span considering you guys teach NV courses for a living. I’ll keep pushing to make the following reviews more interesting.

Next up is a PVS31D  Vs. 1531 comparison, basically touching on the two flagship factory built systems from the Tube manufacturing giants, Elbit & L3. Wish I still had my 31A but the 1531 will do. Doing so while these devices are still relevant, as the smaller manufacturers are hot on the heels of what these factory systems use to be the sole providers of in terms of features.

Plenty of other stuff to come as well
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Good review.  

On the helmet.  What does it cost all up with shipping and how long did it take?  Sometimes that can be a PITA from Oz.  If they would sell you a bare shell and let you roll your own, I'd consider something like this.  Might make a great replacement if you already have all the other stuff.  I'm a big fan of the Luxliner, so anything I build is going to be 1K+, but if the OC shell broke, and the Luxliner fits, I'd look at it.  

It's funny you guys don't like the "jump" nape pad; I love that thing; it really tightens everything up, especially with Amp arms; I barely tighten the knob.  Not calling you fatheads either.

On the China thing.  That is a sore subject here.  And why I do not mod here anymore.  However, there is such a huge price delta between a lot of these support products that I personally use many of them, and SOME will work, just fine, with a few mods here n there.  They may or may not work for you.  I am not banging on any vendor here, or pimping for any other vendor.  I just agree with the reviewer in stating that I too have spent my thousands of dollars on NV, and sometimes choose to buy budget-priced support equipment.  That's it, full stop.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
for even money vs ops core bump, is the weigh savings worth the loss of the actual rating? The odds are that I am just going to be larping and have no need for actual head protection beyond basic branches or falls...
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Good review.  

On the helmet.  What does it cost all up with shipping and how long did it take?  Sometimes that can be a PITA from Oz.  If they would sell you a bare shell and let you roll your own, I'd consider something like this.  Might make a great replacement if you already have all the other stuff.  I'm a big fan of the Luxliner, so anything I build is going to be 1K+, but if the OC shell broke, and the Luxliner fits, I'd look at it.  

It's funny you guys don't like the "jump" nape pad; I love that thing; it really tightens everything up, especially with Amp arms; I barely tighten the knob.  Not calling you fatheads either.

On the China thing.  That is a sore subject here.  And why I do not mod here anymore.  However, there is such a huge price delta between a lot of these support products that I personally use many of them, and SOME will work, just fine, with a few mods here n there.  They may or may not work for you.  I am not banging on any vendor here, or pimping for any other vendor.  I just agree with the reviewer in stating that I too have spent my thousands of dollars on NV, and sometimes choose to buy budget-priced support equipment.  That's it, full stop.  
View Quote

$419 shipped

It was faster than expected. I would say 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

I’ll ask them if they can offer the bare shells.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:16:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#7]
Originally Posted By Voland:
for even money vs ops core bump, is the weigh savings worth the loss of the actual rating? The odds are that I am just going to be larping and have no need for actual head protection beyond basic branches or falls...
View Quote

I don’t have any good evidence or data, so just my opinions.

If I had to guess, the rating is probably just that. A certificate showing that it meets certain criteria. I’m sure that some agencies rely upon that rating when they are responsible for the health and well-being of their agents/officers, or in the case of mil applications, their soldiers. So I think it’s very much tied into liability, and showing that they went through the necessary steps to give their people the best of whats out there, and recourse if any helmets fail unexpectedly.

In practicality, with the carbon helmets we reviewed I would feel pretty protected against bodily injury from falls or unexpected stuff hitting my head. That has to do with the strength of a carbon shell but more so how good I think 4D pads are at absorbing impacts.

One last thing: I know deals pop up relatively often on used helmets if you check the different marketplaces consistently. I see used opscore and TW carbons in the $400-$700 range, and those will hold their value much better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 7:33:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:
I like the review French but want to post some safety info. This sincerely isn't me telling anyone what to buy or not buy. Just want to point out that there is a difference.

While a genuine Ops-Core FAST SF BUMP (injection molded nylon or carbon composite) with real accredited impact protection may not sound necessary for everyone, I definitely recommend considering it, and especially if you are the more active sort of person.

The reason I recommend considering it is that running around in the dark under nods adds more risk of taking a spill and that risk goes up even more if tromping around in the woods, mountains, deserts, etc. riding ATVs, side-by-sides, etc. etc. while wearing nods.

The new Ops-Core FAST SF BUMP (non-carbon) is roughly $100 more than the imitation and includes the Lux Liner kit which encompasses the inside of the helmet shell and accomplishes the bulk of impact protection.

Helmets like the imitations or the legacy Ops-Core BUMPs (and other helmets) rely only on the pads to provide the impact protection. This leave gaps in protection as the pads don't fill up the entire shell. The majority of pad protection is at the top your head which may be fine for falling debris but not for angular front/side/rear impacts which is what you're more likely to encounter. The Lux Liner's full coverage does a much better job of absorbing the bulk of blunt impact energy from multiple directions with the pads contributing as well.

Although there is soft head gear, most of us are running nods on a helmet, and if you're wearing a helmet already then IMO consider wearing a good one if needed based on your level of risk

Here are the Ops-Core FAST BUMP (SF) specifications:

Performance Specification**: BS EN 1385: 2012, ACH CO/PD 05-04: 2007, PS-1145

Blunt Impact Protection: 150 g’s maximum at 10 ft/s. Maximum allowable dent 0.023”

Compression Testing: Top-Bottom = .020” (0.51 mm) Max @ 400 lbs. (181.44 kg), Side-Side = .125” (3.18 mm) Max @ 300 lbs. (136.08 kg) lbs.

Environmental Resistance: Temperature -Storage and Operating at Ambient, Cold -60°F (-51° C), and Hot +160° F (71° C), Temperature Shock, Flame Resistance, Altitude, Seawater, Field Agent Resistance, Weatherometer
View Quote

I was hoping you would chime in with some data.

It’s a safe bet that you’ll never get those kinds of testing standards on any imitation helmet, and there’s something to be said for that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Right on.

With the new BUMP that’s equipped with the Lux Liner, not everyone is aware of what the Lux Liner exactly. I think most guys think it’s just pads lol
View Quote

Any chance you can show some pics of the lux liner? Im really torn on which way to go on this...
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]

This should give you a good idea

https://i.ibb.co/6RWvWwg/IMG-8428.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/pb26d9n/IMG-8427.jpg
View Quote

great! thank you! clearly a lot more than just pads...
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Voland:

great! thank you! clearly a lot more than just pads...
View Quote

I apart from the vents, I believe that’s the same liner that comes with the fast SF ballistic, which is incredibly comfortable out of the box. Idk if I just got lucky, but the fast SF with lux liner is the most comfortable and best fitting helmet I’ve ever owned.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I second that emotion.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Top Top