Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2021 3:58:27 PM EDT
I'm the proud owner of a new Benelli M2 tactical (18.5" barrel and Comfort-Tech stock).

I thought I would start a threat about shotgun patterns. Maybe this has been done to death in the past but we have so many new members and I have not seen any patterns posted recently so here goes.

All shooting was done with the "IC" (Improved Cylinder choke) which is the least restrictive, most open patterns.

Here is a composite pattern of 4 shots using 000 and 00 buck. The holes circled in black marker are Federal Premium 000 buck (from 1994) which gave me a 10.75" pattern.

The holes that have a square around them in black marker are Remington OO Buck and also gave a 10.75" pattern.

The holes with just a dash are Winchester 9 pellet, w/buffered shot, and gave a 14.00" pattern.

The holes with no marks are cheapo Estate OO buck and gave a 15" pattern.

All shots on this target were from 15 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Here is a close up of just the Federal OOO Buck (again at 15 yards IC choke). 000 typically has 8 pellets (as this load) and I believe all the hits are in the target. I believe that 2 pellets went into the same hole since that hole looked bigger than the rest (not talking about the 2 close hits near the center of the pattern). The upper most hole in the "neck" of the target from there from previous use while the hole just bellow it came from the Estate 00 (which do not have any marks from the sharpie).

I have been a big proponent of 000 buck especially involving vehicles and I wish Federal or someone would make a good "tactical" load using 000 in a Flitecontrol wad.

Attachment Attached File

Here is a 25 yard shot with Federal Tactical OO buck with the Flite Control. It gave an impressive 6.35" pattern (again that's at 25yards).

Attachment Attached File

Just for fun, here is a 3 shot group using Remington Slugger 1oz slugs at 50 yards. Federal Truball slugs were not as good but all within the target at 50.

Attachment Attached File

Just a pic of the shotgun...so far I'm very happy with it. I fired about 50 shots total, slugs, buck, and light skeet loads and it all ran 100%.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Another pattern using the Estate OO. This is typical "cheapo" buckshot that does not use plated shot or buffering material to limit shot deformation. This is a 12.5" pattern, which is not terrible but the better quality Federal, Remington, etc with buffered shot are closer to 10" at 15 yards.  (Again this pattern with with the 18.5" Benelli with the IC choke)

Attachment Attached File

And another group using Federal Truball slugs. I'm not sure if the Benelli just doesnt like the Truball as much as the Remington Slugger or maybe it was me getting flinchy from the recoil.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice shotgun and thanks for posting the pics and info.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Good post. Always need to know what your gun does with various loads.  I have always had good performance from Remington Sluggers and Winchester Super X slugs, usually able to keep 3 inside 3” at 50 yds. The Truball performance is a little discomforting to me but the FC buck seems to be a consistent performer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good post. Always need to know what your gun does with various loads.  I have always had good performance from Remington Sluggers and Winchester Super X slugs, usually able to keep 3 inside 3” at 50 yds. The Truball performance is a little discomforting to me but the FC buck seems to be a consistent performer.
View Quote

I'm not too worried about the Truball. It shot good enough for me but I was very impressed by the Remy Slugger. I was putting them in the same hole at 25 yards! And again, after a dozen or more slugs fired from the bench to fine-tune the sights, I was getting a little flinchy and the Truball was shot last. Maybe next session it will shoot much better...

Anyway, the Fed. FC loads have relegated slugs to almost novelty status. I believe (and hopefully will test soon) that the FC load will extend my shoty range to 50 yards. If it can land 4-5 pellets inside a USPSA target D-zone at 50 (or even longer, who knows) then slugs will be for the rare anti-bear, anti-engine block, 100+ yard harassing fire use.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#5]
What was the distance on the first targets?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
All shooting was done with the "IC" (Improved Cylinder choke) which is the least restrictive, most open patterns.
Not correct.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:44:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not correct.
View Quote

And.....?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And.....?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not correct.

And.....?

https://cartsync-blaze4.azureedge.net/mcarbo-com/images/large/.Exploded%20View/shot_strings_choke_effect.jpg
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not correct.
View Quote

My bad. And thank you for correcting my info (zero sarcasm intended) What is/are they called? I assume cylinder bore or something like a sawed-off? I/C is the least restrictive choke that I have access to and looking down the bore from the chamber the I/C does restrict at the muzzle a good bit.

I used to be a full-choke guy since it gave the best patters but then the Flite Control wads came out and I moved all they way back to IC or maybe Modified since the least restrictive choke gives the tighter patterns with the FC while I can chose regular buck loads for more open patterns for HD use.

I hope more people post some patterns. I'd like a long thread posting results comparing various loads in various chokes and barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What was the distance on the first targets?
View Quote

All the buckshot was shot at 15 yards EXCEPT one shot with the Federal Flitecontrol 00 which was at 25 yards (and the slugs were all at 50 yards from the bench).
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And.....?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not correct.

And.....?

Here ya go. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Excellent. Thank you. I dont think I have EVER seen that choke info and if I had, it's been long forgotten.

I've just ran around the house checking my various shotguns. My Mossberg 500 (from '91) has an 18.5" barrel that is marked "cylinder bore" and a longer 26" that is stamped "modified choke". My Rem 870 doesn't say, although the barrel has lots of unidentified stamps and one of them kinda looks like "ImCy" which probably means Imp. Cylinder.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Excellent. Thank you. I dont think I have EVER seen that choke info and if I had, it's been long forgotten.

I've just ran around the house checking my various shotguns. My Mossberg 500 (from '91) has an 18.5" barrel that is marked "cylinder bore" and a longer 26" that is stamped "modified choke". My Rem 870 doesn't say, although the barrel has lots of unidentified stamps and one of them kinda looks like "ImCy" which probably means Imp. Cylinder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not a prob.   For me Improved Cylinder & Modified get the most use. If that's all I had I'd be happy.    I tend to go with Mod when I'm squirrel hunting and IC when I'm bird or deer hunting.  But I'll use both interchangeably.

I find the Rem rifled slugs shoot really good in all guns.  But I have a cutdown Model 12, fixed choke is halfway between skeet & IC.  That SOB shoots slugs like a dream!  Doesn't matter what.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Mind if I add a couple? I’ve done some pattern testing with a couple SBS’s
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mind if I add a couple? I’ve done some pattern testing with a couple SBS’s
View Quote

Yes please. That's why this thread it here. Lets see some patterns!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My bad. And thank you for correcting my info (zero sarcasm intended) What is/are they called? I assume cylinder bore or something like a sawed-off? I/C is the least restrictive choke that I have access to and looking down the bore from the chamber the I/C does restrict at the muzzle a good bit.

I used to be a full-choke guy since it gave the best patters but then the Flite Control wads came out and I moved all they way back to IC or maybe Modified since the least restrictive choke gives the tighter patterns with the FC while I can chose regular buck loads for more open patterns for HD use.

I hope more people post some patterns. I'd like a long thread posting results comparing various loads in various chokes and barrel lengths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not correct.

You are correct - Cylinder is NO choke at all.   usually progression is something like Cylinder - Skeet - Improved Cylinder - Modified - Full - Extra Full ...

Great looking shotgun!  Quick Question - does the Comfort-Tech Stock reduce the Benelli Battering much?

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

10yds with a Remington 1100 12” Cylinder Bore and High Velocity Tactical Flite Control from Federal number LE127 00. The following photo is the same gun and load at 25yds. Circles denote the Buckshot pellets I marked all other hits on the cardboard prior. For reference the scoring circle is 8” I had at one point tested the standard load through the gun and it was a bit larger pattern at 25 I am assuming the lower velocity allows separation sooner. The bad thing is I have very little HV left and a decent supply of the standard or low recoil. Attachment Attached File

The final is a 14.5” Mossberg 590A1 also Cylinder bore. I fired 2 rounds of Federal Flite Control 00 item number LE132 00. Distance is 25 yards scoring zone rectangle is approximately the size of a piece of copy paper I can get exact measurements of zones if requested. Attachment Attached File

From what I’ve read Federal Flite Control or what Hornady labels as Versatite is designed to give optimum pattern from a Cylinder Bore choke and any restriction can actually hurt pattern. I’ve not had a chance to test through choked guns as none of my SBS’s are currently equipped with chokes though I intend to change that with my 1100 simply to test further patterning with other types of loads.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are correct - Cylinder is NO choke at all.   usually progression is something like Cylinder - Skeet - Improved Cylinder - Modified - Full - Extra Full ...

Great looking shotgun!  Quick Question - does the Comfort-Tech Stock reduce the Benelli Battering much?

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

It's hard to say since I did not shoot anything else to compare it too. Benelli's recoil system beats the crap out of me especially shooting slugs from the bench. Ouch! Benelli claims a 40+% reduction in recoil (if I read there web-site correctly). I'm sure it does some good but not 40% to my shoulder. It still battered the hell out of my shoulder and it's still a little sore to this day.

I was somewhat worried that the Comfort-Tech would reduce the reliability with reduced power/recoil loads but everything ran great including very light, low brass skeet loads. IF the Comfort-Tech stock reduced recoil by 10%, it was worth the $100 markup over the standard stock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490499/B5837C05-BCD8-4EA1-800B-CE0F21379671_jpe-1937063.JPG
10yds with a Remington 1100 12” Cylinder Bore and High Velocity Tactical Flite Control from Federal number LE127 00. The following photo is the same gun and load at 25yds. Circles denote the Buckshot pellets I marked all other hits on the cardboard prior. For reference the scoring circle is 8” I had at one point tested the standard load through the gun and it was a bit larger pattern at 25 I am assuming the lower velocity allows separation sooner. The bad thing is I have very little HV left and a decent supply of the standard or low recoil. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490499/FEB7BC14-2240-4C3D-BBB8-AF4BFA952F0B_jpe-1937065.JPG
The final is a 14.5” Mossberg 590A1 also Cylinder bore. I fired 2 rounds of Federal Flite Control 00 item number LE132 00. Distance is 25 yards scoring zone rectangle is approximately the size of a piece of copy paper I can get exact measurements of zones if requested. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490499/1FDE41BE-08BD-46EB-8DB4-873DE1B41FDC_jpe-1937067.JPG

From what I’ve read Federal Flite Control or what Hornady labels as Versatite is designed to give optimum pattern from a Cylinder Bore choke and any restriction can actually hurt pattern. I’ve not had a chance to test through choked guns as none of my SBS’s are currently equipped with chokes though I intend to change that with my 1100 simply to test further patterning with other types of loads.
View Quote

Thank you. Nice results. I enjoy seeing SBS results. Back before I retired, I shot some Flite Control rounds through a 14" 870 and was very impressed with the patterns.

The Fed LE132 (FC 00 "Tactical" Reduced Recoil 1145FPS according to the box) was my agency's issued ammo and it's all that I have ever seen. I didnt know that a HV (LE127) version existed. I'll pick some up if I ever see any. I just ordered a good bit of the LE132 so I should be set for a while.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thank you. Nice results. I enjoy seeing SBS results. Back before I retired, I shot some Flite Control rounds through a 14" 870 and was very impressed with the patterns.

The Fed LE132 (FC 00 "Tactical" Reduced Recoil 1145FPS according to the box) was my agency's issued ammo and it's all that I have ever seen. I didnt know that a HV (LE127) version existed. I'll pick some up if I ever see any. I just ordered a good bit of the LE132 so I should be set for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490499/B5837C05-BCD8-4EA1-800B-CE0F21379671_jpe-1937063.JPG
10yds with a Remington 1100 12” Cylinder Bore and High Velocity Tactical Flite Control from Federal number LE127 00. The following photo is the same gun and load at 25yds. Circles denote the Buckshot pellets I marked all other hits on the cardboard prior. For reference the scoring circle is 8” I had at one point tested the standard load through the gun and it was a bit larger pattern at 25 I am assuming the lower velocity allows separation sooner. The bad thing is I have very little HV left and a decent supply of the standard or low recoil. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490499/FEB7BC14-2240-4C3D-BBB8-AF4BFA952F0B_jpe-1937065.JPG
The final is a 14.5” Mossberg 590A1 also Cylinder bore. I fired 2 rounds of Federal Flite Control 00 item number LE132 00. Distance is 25 yards scoring zone rectangle is approximately the size of a piece of copy paper I can get exact measurements of zones if requested. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/490499/1FDE41BE-08BD-46EB-8DB4-873DE1B41FDC_jpe-1937067.JPG

We issue the 132 I had some 127 and figured I’d give it a whirl. I thought it maybe more reliable in my auto, neither showed any issues reliability wise both performed as they should. I want to try the Number 1 buck load but it’s unobtainable in normal times ime.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a chance to shoot some more buckshot today. Again I used the Benelli M2 (18.5" barrel) with the IC choke, unless noted otherwise. Here are some results.

First, I put a target out at 50 yards and fired a Fed Tactical 00 Flitecontrol (LE132) load. It's a crappy pattern but 8 out of 9 pellets hit. That cardboard is exactly 23" wide, (including that open flap part on the left) and is a little narrower than my shoulders.

Attachment Attached File

A second shot with the same Flitecontrol load. The hits from the first shot are circled in black while the second shot's hits have a square marked around the hole.
A much better pattern although a little to the right (I subsequently adjusted my sights a little). All 9 pellets are in a tight 11.25" pattern.

Attachment Attached File

And a 3rd shot, once again Flitecontrol 00 at 50 yards. Only 5 pellets hit although the pattern is centered (after I adjusted the sights). The hits from this 3rd shot are marked with a triangle.

Attachment Attached File

Just for fun, I put the full choke in the Benelli M2 and fired a load of Winchester 1 Buck with 16 pellets. And out of that 16, only 7 hit the target (one on the right edge). The Win 1 Buck hits are marked with a slash in the picture. I think this load will still be viable out to 50 although a little "messy" with the wide pattern.

Attachment Attached File

I'm sorry for my low-budget operation, using the same cardboard target but that's all I had and it worked ok.

In my opinion, the Fed 00 Flitecontrol (LE132) is viable out to 50 yards. In the absolute worst case, you can count on a minimum of 3 hits (upper chest area) and several peripheral hits. And it may even put all 9 in the target.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I then went to 25 yards and fired some groups with the M2, again using the Federal LE132 Flitecontrol 00 loads. I fired it at some standard 8X12 pieces of copy paper.

Here is a beautiful pattern at 25 yards. You can see the typical Flitecontrol pattern with a tight cluster of pellet hits and a few wandering off.

Attachment Attached File

I then tried as hard as I could to put all 9 pellets into a single piece of paper but no luck. It would typically land 6-8 hits out of 9.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Maybe some sealant used by Federal to seal the crimp seeped into the shell and caused some pellets to stick together or maybe my shotgun and the IC choke dont make for nice even patterns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Just for fun...50 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#24]
00 buck opens up 1'' per yard once it leaves the muzzle.  so at 7yrds, you'll have a 7in spread.  Of course Federal's flight control wad 00 buck is  a lot tighter.  At 7yrds, I get a 12 guage diameter hole with Federal's ammo out of both my 870 and Benelli M4.  At 25yrds, all pellets stay inside an Ipsc target
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
00 buck opens up 1'' per yard once it leaves the muzzle.  so at 7yrds, you'll have a 7in spread.  Of course Federal's flight control wad 00 buck is  a lot tighter.  At 7yrds, I get a 12 guage diameter hole with Federal's ammo out of both my 870 and Benelli M4.  At 25yrds, all pellets stay inside an Ipsc target
View Quote

That’s only the general rule for basic loads and a CYL/IC. Higher end loads often do a bit better, and of course you can usually move up to a MOD before slug performance really drops off. Many handloaders claim dramatically improved patterns by simply attempting to make quality ammo, nothing really special. Many cheapo loads do even worse for me, in the range of 20”@15yds from a CYL.

But still a good rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Some more buckshot results from 50 yards. Same drill" Benelli M2 18.5' Barrel, IC Choke fired from a sandbag rest.

I found some Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck using their "Versatite Wad" which is I guess similar to Federal's "Flite Control". This Hornady load has 8 pellets of 00 Buck at a listed velocity of 1600 FPS. A pretty stout load and recoil was a good bit more than the Federal 9 pellets at 1145 FPF.

Attachment Attached File

First pattern (again at 50 yards) with the Hornady 8 pellet using the IC choke. 6 out of the 8 pellets hit with 3 good center mass hits.

Attachment Attached File

A second shot with the same Hornady load, hits have a square while the first shot hits have aa circle. Again 6 out of 8 pellets hit. 3 maybe 4 of the hits would be torso.

Attachment Attached File

Now again, a shot with the Federal 00 9 pellet Flitecontrol LE132 load at 50 yards. Hits on target have a triangle. 7 out of 9 hits with 6 good torso hits.

Attachment Attached File

And a second shot with the Federal Flitecontrol. Again 7 out of 9 hit with 3 good upper torso hits.

Attachment Attached File

I would consider the Hornady load using their Versatite Wad comparable to the Federal Flitecontrol and I consider both viable out to at least 50 yards. I'm fairly sure that some gun/choke combos will shoot these loads better and maybe some worse.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I also tried that Hornady Critical Defense 8 pellet load at 25 yards. Again with the Benelli M2 18.5" barrel with IC choke, standing at 25 yards.

First shot with the Hornady 8 pellet 00 Buck with their Versatite Wad.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A second shot with the Hornady (hits marked with a square) gave a little larger pattern than the first shot at roughly 12.5" although it appears to be a fairly even pattern on target.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now for the Federal Flightcontrol 00 Buck LE132 load. A fairly nice and even pattern.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally. I replaced the IC Choke on the Benelli and screwed in the Full Choke and fired one shot using the Winchester 1 Buck, 16 pellet load. It resulted in 12 hits out of 16 and the pattern seems fairly even and would have a good effect on target. But I would not consider this (and most other standard wad buckshot loads) much good past maybe 30 yards. At least with my gun and it's 18.5" tube.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought a new 590 today and decided to pattern a few loads.

Distance was 10 and 20 yds., 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, standard IDPA targets.

Federal 13200 Flight Control

POA at 10 yds. was the center of the "0" scoring ring. POA at 20 yds. was the lower Sharpie "X". At 10 yds. it was a really tight group, just a little high. The first 20 yd. group was high and left, but still fairly tight. The second 20 yd. group threw 4 pellets into the head, and two into the center ring...don't know where the other three went.

Remington 12B00

Circles are the first shot at 10 yds., single tick marks are the second (POA was black "X")

Double tick marks are the first round at 20 yds. (POA was black "X")

Squares mark the second round at 20yds.

Royal RIO 9P00

Five rounds at 10 yds. (because I was having fun and forgot to save a couple for 20 yds.)

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Try some Brenneke KO slugs if you can find them
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been seeing some Nobel Sport buckshot loads for sale recently. I believe they are made in Italy. I've seen the 00 loads with 12 pellets and 9 pellets.

I fired some of the 9 pellet loads (again Benelli M2 18.5" barrel I/C choke) at 15 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Here is the first shot (I pulled it a little to the right) but all 9 pellets are on the target.

Attachment Attached File

Here is the 2nd shot on the same target. The hits from the first shot have the black circles and the hits from the 2nd shot have the slash mark. I counted only 8 hits from the 2nd shot.

Attachment Attached File

I think this ammo patterned pretty good especially for non-buffered shot. I'm not crazy about the non-crimped style of shell (typically economical loads coming from Europe/Turkey etc) because the plastic disk holding in all the pellets seem a little fragile and the pellets also rattle around in the shell, especially these Nobel shells. But they seem to work and pattern fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#32]
As a comparison to the Nobel Sport 9 pellet 00 load I tested above, here is a shot from a Winchester 16 pellet 1 buck load. Same shotgun, I/C choke was used at the same 15 yards.

All 16 pellets are on the target but the spread is 20.5" at it's widest. A few inches wider spread than the Nobel Sport 00 load.

Attachment Attached File

Generally, among the regular, non-Flightcontrol type shells, I have found that the 8 pellet 00 buck loads are the tightest patterns followed by 9 pellet 00 buck and 8 pellet 000 buck. As the pellets get smaller (1 buck, 4 buck etc) the patterns seem to open up more. There may be exceptions but this is my experience.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a couple of boxes of the old Brenneke slugs but too few to test. I want to hold on to them until the market gets back to normal.

But, I did test some Wolf slugs. These are the 1 1/8oz slugs, Made in Russia as imported by Wolf. The box does NOT give a velocity but from the recoil, I estimate it was not a 1600fps load but rather 1200-1300 (which I prefer). I think it shot damn well.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#34]
The above Wolf load at 50 yards, from a sandbag rest. 3 shots.

Attachment Attached File

Here is a comparison of Remington 1oz "Managed Recoil" slug, 3 shot group.

Attachment Attached File

This isn't a conclusive test or to say that the Wolf is better or best. It just shot well for me today. I only had a few rounds to test and I included the best 3 shot groups that I managed, despite my flinching.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have a couple of boxes of the old Brenneke slugs but too few to test. I want to hold on to them until the market gets back to normal.

But, I did test some Wolf slugs. These are the 1 1/8oz slugs, Made in Russia as imported by Wolf. The box does NOT give a velocity but from the recoil, I estimate it was not a 1600fps load but rather 1200-1300 (which I prefer). I think it shot damn well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135543/20210521_174838_jpg-1950668.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135543/20210521_174838_jpg-1950668.JPG

Made in Russia? They used to be made in Germany.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Made in Russia? They used to be made in Germany.
View Quote

Not the Brenneke. The Wolf slugs say "Made in Russia" and the rims say "Fetter Rus". I assume Fetter is a shotshell/shotgun ammo maker in Russia.

Original Brenneke by Rottweil in Germany that I got back in the early 90's.

Attachment Attached File

And Brenneke USA. I assume made in the USA by who knows who. It doesnt say...I bought these maybe 6-8 years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Just bought an older 1187P and put some rounds through it yesterday...

18.5" Improved Cylinder barrel, POA was "-0" ring.

Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck

Remington 00 Buck

Checks and circles = 10 yds., Squares = 20 yds.

Rio 00 Buck, Low Recoil

Checks and circles = 10 yds., Squares = 20 yds.

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Great info to all that have posted.

I'd heard elsewhere that 8 pellets of 00 seems to pattern the best - that 9th pellet on other ammo must bounce around and cause the other pellets to get out of round and open the pattern up.

As other's post their patterns, if you could take a measurement of them with the range, that would help in comparing different ammo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Great info to all that have posted.

I'd heard elsewhere that 8 pellets of 00 seems to pattern the best - that 9th pellet on other ammo must bounce around and cause the other pellets to get out of round and open the pattern up.

As other's post their patterns, if you could take a measurement of them with the range, that would help in comparing different ammo.
View Quote

Do you mean to have a tape measure in the picture so the viewers can get an idea of the measurements?

I will try to post more 1-shot-per-target pictures because the multiple shots on the same target can get a little busy and takes some studying to figure it out.

But I've pretty much tested all the buck (and slugs) that I have on hand. If there is a specific load, range etc that is requested, I will try my best.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you mean to have a tape measure in the picture so the viewers can get an idea of the measurements?

I will try to post more 1-shot-per-target pictures because the multiple shots on the same target can get a little busy and takes some studying to figure it out.

But I've pretty much tested all the buck (and slugs) that I have on hand. If there is a specific load, range etc that is requested, I will try my best.
View Quote

No, I just meant take a measurement of the spread if you could, and then list that with the distance.

Something like - Fed 00, 8 pellets - 10 inch pattern at 25 yards, or such.  That way it's easy to compare various loads.  

Nice work on this - it's trending towards what a lot have felt but haven't seen proof of - the Federal Flite control wad is very effective, and that 8 pellets patterns better than 9.  You generally list the spread pattern size, but some have not.

If I get the time, I'll data mine this topic and make a table of loads, spread patterns, and distances, for a handy reference to compare various ammo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I received this months Gun Tests magazine. (Yes I know it's very Fuddy but I still enjoy it) and they had a very informative test on shotgun buckshot patterns, including measurements etc. I thought it was ironic since I recently became interested (again) in shotguns.

I have no affiliation with Gun Tests other than being a yearly subscriber.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Federal PCF 154 00 full power (1325 fps) 12 gauge 2-3/4" 00B FliteControl shoots tighter for me than the lower recoil LE version, placing all 9 pellets inside a 12x12 inch square at a full 50 yards (double strikes in lower right corner) from a 22" IC rifle sighted barrel.  At 15 yards (HD distance) they just make a 3" to 4" fist size hole.  The barrel has rifle sights.  You aim this stuff, not merely point as with most shotgun ammo.  The FliteControl wad works best with IC or even cylinder choke.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Great results. Thanks. If I can ever find some full power FC loads I'd love to try them in my gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#44]
As asked in the 1100 LT thread,  would you (OP and mods) mind if I did a 20 gauge pattern result?
Don't want to step on any toes
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm interested in all gauges and types (although I only own 12GA personally) so please post what you got.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#46]
For those that are interested, here are my results with a 410 Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and 3" 000 buckshot shells (5 pellets)

7 yards - 1 shot
Attachment Attached File

15 yards - 1 shot
Attachment Attached File

25 yards - 3 shots most of the pellets staid within the 8" target which is nice out of the 18.5" barrel
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And another group using Federal Truball slugs. I'm not sure if the Benelli just doesnt like the Truball as much as the Remington Slugger or maybe it was me getting flinchy from the recoil.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135543/20210508_160659_jpg-1934661.JPG
View Quote

It’s not you. I have a Benelli M4 and with a cylinder choke the Federal TruBall slugs pattern exactly the same at 50 yards. Always on the target but the pattern isn't pretty.

I’ve found the best buckshot for my home defense purposes to be (Full Power) Hornady Critical Defense Buckshot 8 pellets w/Versatite @ 1600 fps and (Lighter) Federal LE Tactical Buckshot 8 Pellets w/FliteControl @ 1145 fps. Like already posted, the 8 pellet loads really do reduce the fliers for me in my shotgun.

Good thread. Thanks for taking the time to post the information and pictures.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#48]
We ran a series from 5 to 40 feet and flitecontrol keeps the shot on a basketball area at common house clearing ranges

Link Posted: 6/5/2021 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For those that are interested, here are my results with a 410 Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and 3" 000 buckshot shells (5 pellets)

7 yards - 1 shot
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/500_OOOBS_7YD_jpg-1967682.JPG

15 yards - 1 shot
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/500_000BS_15YD_jpg-1967683.JPG

25 yards - 3 shots most of the pellets staid within the 8" target which is nice out of the 18.5" barrel
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/500_3S_25YD_jpg-1967684.JPG
View Quote

That's darn good. Any idea of the velocity you are getting? 5 000 pellets with that very good pattern is fantastic and make the .410 a serious option! 12GA 000 2,3/4" shells have 8 pellets but I'm not sure about 3" .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top