Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2022 8:53:31 AM EDT
Trying to decide between a Browning BL-22 Micro Midas and a Henry Lever Action .22 Youth:

BL-22 Micro Midas:
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bl-22/bl22-micro-midas.html

Henry Lever Action .22 Youth:
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-youth-rifle/

What say you all?  

Haven't found either locally and they're commonly out of stock online.  I've never shot a lever action but am trying to expose the kids to all types of firearms for familiarity.

Any other options I should consider?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
The Henry is a solid gun. Also if there are any issues they will quickly take care of it. I know how it is to order something blindly and worry about such things. This would be a great starter gun for kids, and later you can buy the regular stock easily. They are easy to learn, accurate and fun. I can only imagine how much fun a kid would have playing cowboy.
Browning’s are very nice, but in my opinion not worth the spend for what you want.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Henry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 6 Henry's here that I bought for my son while growing up, bdays, graduation etc.
While I love the feel of most Brownings I hate that they are made in Japan.
Good stuff is made in Japan but I like supporting USA whenever possable.

Henry's look, feel good, never fail and shoot very well, hard to beat them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 6 Henry's here that I bought for my son while growing up, bdays, graduation etc.
While I love the feel of most Brownings I hate that they are made in Japan.
Good stuff is made in Japan but I like supporting USA whenever possable.

Henry's look, feel good, never fail and shoot very well, hard to beat them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413300/Screenshot_20220329-092400_Chrome_2_jpg-2330393.JPG

View Quote

Wow I had no idea
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I own both and enjoy both.  For small kids the Browning is a more petite frame and barrel profile.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Henry.
View Quote

This.  I have a Browning and it is Heirloom Quality.  I think the Henry is good enough.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  I have a Browning and it is Heirloom Quality.  I think the Henry is good enough.
View Quote
Can you find a Browning?  They have been pretty scarce.  It is hands down a better firearm, but the Henry will serve you well for kids.

If you held both guns in your hands, you wouldn't even need to ask the question.

Japan is a US ally and they bought a lot of equipment from the company I worked for.  I have no problems buying a Japanese product, but the book of face twatter global warmers are probably telling you to be outraged.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never shot either but I doubt you could wrong one way or the other
I wish someone would bring back the Ithaca M49 single shot lever action .22.  A buddy of mine had one when I was young and it was solid.  I bought my Marlin 39D partly because of how much I liked his Ithaca.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you find a Browning?  They have been pretty scarce.  It is hands down a better firearm, but the Henry will serve you well for kids.  

If you held both guns in your hands, you wouldn't even need to ask the question.

Japan is a US ally and they bought a lot of equipment from the company I worked for.  I have no problems buying a Japanese product, but the book of face twatter global warmers are probably telling you to be outraged.  

https://i.imgur.com/JYTPv7v.png

https://i.imgur.com/pQcOTV5.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/JYTPv7v.png

https://i.imgur.com/pQcOTV5.jpg

They are out there but go fast!
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The Henry is a good little rifle for the price, but they cut some corners to get to the price. I have one and enjoy shooting it.
Money no object, get the Browning.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I voted "Other".

I grew up shooting a Marlin 39A which I eventually inherited and I've also bought a 39 Mountie, so I've a soft spot for that make and model.

But I've also got a now discontinued Mossberg 464 .22 SPX that has a threaded barrel and an adjustable stock that can accommodate smaller statured shooters (and thick winter clothing during hunting season).  I haven't shot it a lot, but so far it has shown very good accuracy and with a silencer mounted and standard velocity ammo, it is pellet gun quiet.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Theres a substantial price difference.  If you want practicality buy the Henry and spend the difference on ammo.  If you want a family heirloom get the Browning.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Theres a substantial price difference.  If you want practicality buy the Henry and spend the difference on ammo.  If you want a family heirloom get the Browning.
View Quote
When I bought the Browning, it was in the $425-450 range.  At the same time, the Henry was around $225.  I actually owned a Henry back than and it ran surprisingly smooth.  I gave it to my Dad when he turned 70.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve shot both.  I own a BL22.  There’s nothing wrong with the Henry

but in my opinion the Browning is a much nicer rifle than the Henry.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Browning has a short throw lever which makes cycling the firearm much faster than the Henry.

That being said, nothing beats a Marlin 39 TDS.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Browning has a short throw lever which makes cycling the firearm much faster than the Henry.

That being said, nothing beats a Marlin 39 TDS.
View Quote

Never heard of the Marlin 39 TDS, wonder what this will fetch:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928715909
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 1:55:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Browning=real blue finish

Henry=painted receiver

Both work.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I did both in the Afcom way. Both are the 16" youth models. Though for kids, go Henry, it is cheaper and has a better trigger. The Browning is a much nicer looking gun, but the trigger is HORRIBLE. I can hold my gun by the trigger and it won't fire. The trigger pull is more than the weight of the rifle. It is so heavy that the smaller kids have to use two fingers to pull the trigger, and still have trouble.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#19]
The Browning is a better, nicer rifle but also more costly.
The Henry is a cheaper but still great rifle.
For kids, I would go with the Henry.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I checked out a Browning recently. Nice but that small lever was painful; I'm not one of your kids though. You could SBR a mares leg and get something really compact for the kids.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never heard of the Marlin 39 TDS, wonder what this will fetch:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928715909
View Quote

Oh man that was a great deal. Wish I would have seen that
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Browning BL-22 as well as three different variants of the 9422

9422XTR and 9422 Trapper

9422 Legacy

All of them are very well made and are heirloom worthy rifles.

I can’t say the same about the Henry rifles.  The design is a slightly modified version of the Ithaca Model 72, complete with zinc alloy receiver and cosmetic sheet metal receiver cover.  

Now…like the Ithaca 72 they are not bad rifles and the assuming the zinc alloy is similarly free from impurities it should age pretty well without cracking or warping.  But they are not heirloom worthy rifles.

Subjectively the Browning BL-22 and Winchester 9422s feel much better in the hand and when operating them the higher quality speaks for itself.   They are also accurate for the type and 3” groups at 100 yards are the norm.

The BL-22 lacks a proper metal tang so tang sights are not an option, but you can still mount receiver sights and they accept a scope just as well as a 9422 or other short receiver .22 LR lever gun, which is to say, the ring placement sometimes ends up being unconventional. Unlike a Henry, the scope or receiver sight is solidly mounted on the receiver with no receiver cover involved.

——-

Some of it comes down to your kids.  If they have are prone to pride of ownership and take care of their stuff, you want the BL-22.  They’ll be proud of it and keep it.  

If your kids are more prone to abusing their stuff,  or guns and heirloom considerations are just not their thing, they will probably turn it into money the first chance they get. In that case get them the Henry. It won’t bring as much at a pawn or gun shop and the reduced incentive to sell it might mean they keep it longer.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Henry, while it is a quality rifle and very accurate I should have gotten the Browning. I know where one is and I may go and get it. It is just personal preference is all.

One thing is for certain, the action on my Henry is a lot smoother than the action on my 357 Marlin and the Marlin has 500 or so rounds through it while the Henry has maybe a hundred.    I really want to find a side load big bore Henry now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top