Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2024 6:17:03 PM EDT
I need a safe or gun cabinet to store 6 - 8 long guns, a few pistols, some ammo etc... I'd like it to fit in a corner of my walk in closet so if something goes bump in the night I can access an AR. My meager collection of fire arms isn't crazy valuable. My children are at the point where I need to have them locked up. (I have a small pistol safe by the bed for my HD gun, and keep an AR mag in it also at the moment) The most important feature is an extremely reliable, and quick to open lock. However it should also dissuade run of the mill burglars. Fire protection is a nice to have, but I'm going to assume that a major home fire that destroys my house would also destroy my firearms. My budget is less than 2k (I don't need a $5k safe for a gun collection worth about 5k) but I'd like something that can meet my needs for the next 25 years at least. I see some cheap Winchester safe's but I doubt their reliability, Stack-on has some options, but same thing I doubt their reliability. I think Liberty has some options as well that could be good, have kicked around their USA 30 and putting it on the lower level and just living with a pistol in my bedside safe for quick access but am leaning towards the Browning Sporter 20 as it will do what I need, fit in the closet, has 12 gauge steel and seems like it would have better reliability than most cheaper options. What does the hive say? What options should I be considering for a relatively entry level safe to keep a few guns away from children, but that's reliable and also a theft deterrent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Have used Browning safe since the 80s. Never a worry or problem.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
For my purposes, mainly to keep guns away from children and to deter the smash and grab burglar is there really much difference between the Browning Sporter, and the cheap Winchester safes sold at TSC for half the cost, or even the cheaper Browning safe sold at BassPro with 14 gauge steel instead of the 12 gauge steel? Many on here have made the point that almost any sub $3000 safe can be broken into in 10 minutes or less with an angle grinder. For more run of the mill burglars who didn't come prepared to break into a safe with a grinder, is the cheapo safe good enough?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
For not that much more than the Browning safe Vault and Safe has what looks to be significant step up in quality the Mutual 6040 anyone have experience with this brand? I can't find the Manufacturer's website. It upgrades to 10 Gauge steel in the body, adds a spring loaded relocked, its bigger so I'd wind up putting it downstairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top