Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2018 3:40:57 PM EDT
NEW: Brownells BRN-22R .22 Railed Receiver

Link to Brownells

This seems like a really good deal. I wish they would have released these a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up. Always wanted to do a 10/22 build and this fits the bill rather then buying a complete rifle and swapping out parts. Seems like a good price too. Really like the integrated rail.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Back ordered one yesterday. With all the 10/22 parts laying around I should be close to a complete rifle when it gets here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they should have made it out of 7075, personally.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Been contemplating a 10-22 build for awhile...

This has to be a sign.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Kidd's receivers are also made out of 6061 and I haven't had any issues with my Classic receiver.

It looks interesting - might have to order one, but that $10 FFL processing fee still irks me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Can I have that transferred as a pistol and build a charger out of it?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can I have that transferred as a pistol and build a charger out of it?
View Quote
It's a receiver so it not transferred as either one.  It is marked as other firearm on the 4473.  You build it to whatever you want and sets its future. Obviously pistol first for rule reasons.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kidd's receivers are also made out of 6061 and I haven't had any issues with my Classic receiver.

It looks interesting - might have to order one, but that $10 FFL processing fee still irks me.
View Quote
Yeah me too why I have hit order yet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a quick update I have received my receiver and it looks really nice. The barrel fit is loose so if you are going after a target setup this may not be the receiver for you.

Also in the Brownells Q&A section they dropped the hint that they will be making take-down receivers in the future.

The link here is to my thread detailing my experiences with the new receiver.

Short story, its way better than what I did have, accuracy has increased (15moa to 4moa) along with reliability.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
My brother and I picked up some a couple weeks ago and they are very tight fit with a Volqstuern barrel.  Serial numbers were under xxx100

I think my other brother has the factory barrel from his 10-22, yet.  I may ask about it and see how it fits.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm waiting on the takedown
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just a quick update I have received my receiver and it looks really nice. The barrel fit is loose so if you are going after a target setup this may not be the receiver for you.

Also in the Brownells Q&A section they dropped the hint that they will be making take-down receivers in the future.

The link here is to my thread detailing my experiences with the new receiver.

Short story, its way better than what I did have, accuracy has increased along with reliability.
View Quote
Not sure what barrel you have, but every report ive seen (including my own receiver) the barrel is extremely tight and required fitting, so itd be an awesome target receiver.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Just got mine and put it together with all new parts. I'm using a green mountain 16" barrel that had a very tight fit. I had to use a mallet to seat the barrel the last 1/4".
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/glhREEL.jpg

Just got mine and put it together with all new parts. I'm using a green mountain 16" barrel that had a very tight fit. I had to use a mallet to seat the barrel the last 1/4".
View Quote
That's good to know.

Use a heat gun on the receiver next time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Have two of them coming tomorrow. I got the ones with the pic rail. Going to swap out some standard receivers. I've seen a couple 10/22 receivers over the years with stripped screw holes for the scope mounts. This solves that problem.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally picked up my two railed receivers.

Not happy as both of them have nicks in the finish.  Obviously from bouncing around inside the package during shipping.  I'll have to paint or have them painted if I want to really do anything with them.  Disappointing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I finally picked up my two railed receivers.

Not happy as both of them have nicks in the finish.  Obviously from bouncing around inside the package during shipping.  I'll have to paint or have them painted if I want to really do anything with them.  Disappointing.
View Quote
Have you contacted Brownell’s?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like you got one of the other makers receiver.  Yours doesn't have that recessed area behind the side ejection port.  How would you describe the finish on yours. Is it a smooth black finish or does it resemble a rough matte Parkerizing finish?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like you got one of the other makers receiver.  Yours doesn't have that recessed area behind the side ejection port.  How would you describe the finish on yours. Is it a smooth black finish or does it resemble a rough matte Parkerizing finish?
View Quote
I've been posting in the rimfire central thread about these, mine is definitely a rough nearly parkerized type coating.

The description says type II anodizing, when mine arrived I noticed it wasn't but it was not a deal breaker... Then I see that some have the nice type II smooth anodizing and it makes me wonder what the heck.

Smooth or rough, the barrel to receiver fit is TIGHT. Haven't shot it yet, but will try to get out this week.

FWIW, I've had some type I anodized AR15 receivers and they weren't this rough, not even close. An oiled rag leaves trace fibers everywhere on the receiver. I'm happy, but I'm not real happy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've been posting in the rimfire central thread about these, mine is definitely a rough nearly parkerized type coating.

The description says type II anodizing, when mine arrived I noticed it wasn't but it was not a deal breaker... Then I see that some have the nice type II smooth anodizing and it makes me wonder what the heck.

Smooth or rough, the barrel to receiver fit is TIGHT. Haven't shot it yet, but will try to get out this week.

FWIW, I've had some type I anodized AR15 receivers and they weren't this rough, not even close. An oiled rag leaves trace fibers everywhere on the receiver. I'm happy, but I'm not real happy.
View Quote
Oh OK. That's where I seen they were starting to determine that maybe a few companies are making these for them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have two of them coming tomorrow. I got the ones with the pic rail. Going to swap out some standard receivers. I've seen a couple 10/22 receivers over the years with stripped screw holes for the scope mounts. This solves that problem.
View Quote
...and American Rimfires- I had one, Ruger swapped it out, the replacement was worse!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's my updated review.

I bought one of these thinking it would be a nice bargain. The cleaning hole is nice as is the integration of the rail, however these features don't outweigh the downsides...

Upon transfer, the first thing I noticed was the finish of the receiver. Not smooth matte black type II anodizing as advertised, nope. What you get is a rough, a very rough, nearly phosphate like grey finish. In attempting to oil it, the rag breaks down and covers the rough finish in a covering of fibers and leaves me frustrated.

Installed parts went together smoothly, aside from the last 1/4" of the barrel that had to be whacked repeatedly with a mallet to seat fully.

Beware that the supplied Vblock and bolts may cause damage to the barrel depending on manufacturer. With a new green mtn sporter profile barrel, the bolt heads scratched and marred the barrel as they screwed in. The bolt heads have vertical grooves, unlike the smooth Ruger OEM bolts. These grooves scratch and mar the barrel as you tighten them down.

Overall I think the BRN22 receiver has promise, but it's poorly executed at the current time. I would NOT recommend this receiver. Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got mine and i also have to echo the part that the receiver coating is pretty rough.  The anodizing is patchy and grey/white in sections.  I guess i will rattle can this 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I got one the other day. Finish isn’t smooth, but I don’t know if I would call it rough either.

Kidd barrel fit without a mallet or heat, just anti-seize on the barrel for lube as Kidd recommends.

I’m happy so far, only test fired with no sights though, so true test will be after my scope arrives.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I had all the parts to build another gun, except the receiver.  So the Brownell receiver was a good value for me.   I mean I had every single piece except the receiver.

I had issues, but I still think it’s a good buy (for me).

My Tac Sol barrel would absolutely not fit.   I put the barrel in the freezer and a heat gun on the receiver.  Still nothing.   Very light sanding in the receiver fixed that issue (again using heat and cold).

I tried to keep the lighting identical.

The receiver was quite coarse so I hit it with some fine steel wool.

Attachment Attached File

Then I put it in the ultrasound with a mild degreaser.

Attachment Attached File

Wow.  That looks terrible.  So then I spray painted it with Krylon black camo.   Light coats and multiple times.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Came out nice.   I specifically made this rifle to cycle CCI Quiets (710 FPS).

If you like I can post the full gun too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had all the parts to build another gun, except the receiver.  So the Brownell receiver was a good value for me.   I mean I had every single piece except the receiver.

I had issues, but I still think it’s a good buy (for me).

My Tac Sol barrel would absolutely not fit.   I put the barrel in the freezer and a heat gun on the receiver.  Still nothing.   Very light sanding in the receiver fixed that issue (again using heat and cold).

I tried to keep the lighting identical.

The receiver was quite coarse so I hit it with some fine steel wool.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376732/2BA0F62E-06A2-4EE5-84C9-B5098E76A452-619894.JPG

Then I put it in the ultrasound with a mild degreaser.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376732/3D2F3C02-8E53-4953-9544-C5CDB1CD65A6-619899.JPG

Wow.  That looks terrible.  So then I spray painted it with Krylon black camo.   Light coats and multiple times.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376732/6E6918BA-AC22-41EF-BAC0-BB549B7946DB-619900.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376732/ADA04FCF-329D-458D-97ED-A220E971E98E-619901.JPG

Came out nice.   I specifically made this rifle to cycle CCI Quiets (710 FPS).

If you like I can post the full gun too.
View Quote
Please do.

Your receiver looks totally different from mine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ll make a new thread with that specific build and link the two.

I wanted to add that the trigger cross bolt holes were perfect, a little tight is good.

The buffer hole was the same, perfect.

I’ve only done a 25 round function test with the CCI Quiet and it functioned perfectly.

Edit.  The amount of “effort” I put into the receiver was minimal.  Sanding took 30 seconds.   Degreasing was automatic.   Spray painting took 10 seconds every 30 minutes.

The longest time was to get the barrel to fit without taking too much off.  I expect that for any receiver and aftermarket barrel.  In this case it was an aftermarket receiver and aftermarket barrel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
How did you get it to run the cci quiet?

One of those lite conversion bolts?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I would definitely like to play with one of these but a few things put me off.  The finish and the dang $10 FFL fee.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought it during their “prime day” sale

Was ten dollars cheaper and made me feel like I was beating the fee
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I picked up my Brownells receiver today. It’s too expensive, I’ll say that right up front. With the “Ffl fee”, transfer fee and sales tax it was over $131. Too much.

At first glance I liked what I saw, finish wasn’t as good as expected, but I can live with it. Looks to be 100% machined.  I got the railed version, and the rail looks good.

Then I put it together. Had two burrs I had to remove, no big deal.  Then I can’t get the bolt in.  No problem I have two Ruger bolts, I’ll grab the other one. It won’t go in either. The shelf that the bolt rides on was too long, and had a radius where it joined with the receiver wall. A few minutes with a small file and the bolt will drop in, barely.  I dread having to take it apart for cleaning.

And then the deal breaker. My Green Mountain barrel is a sloppy fit.  I went ahead and installed it, and thought I’d see how it shoots. But the more I think about it, I’m going to ask for a replacement. The barrel fit is looser than any 10/22 I’ve ever had, and I got my first one almost 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#34]
has anyone done an 80 build and is there other strip receivers that anyone would recommend
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
has anyone done an 80 build and is there other strip receivers that anyone would recommend
View Quote
I'd just buy a stripped Ruger receiver from SAP Outfitters, $69 for 10/22 or Charger receiver.

I'd get a Charger, that way you can build it as a pistol or a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks brother
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
. The barrel fit is loose so if you are going after a target setup this may not be the receiver for you.

View Quote
Sad.  My Ruger fitment is tight on my Volquartsen barrel.  I used a little green Loctite bearing race adhesive on it when I put it together and it was next to impossible to separate when I needed to send my barrel off for threading. 

My build base rifle was only $125.  I put a Clark trigger and sear kit in it.  I think I am still ahead of the curve for cash outlay.  I bought my parts in the Brownells FFL dealer discount days.  

Rimfires be fun!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'd just buy a stripped Ruger receiver from SAP Outfitters, $69 for 10/22 or Charger receiver.

I'd get a Charger, that way you can build it as a pistol or a rifle.
View Quote
After the problems I had with a ruger receiver no way I would suggest to another member to go this route. Just spend the extra $80-90 and get the Kidd slip fit. I am planning on picking one up one day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#39]
More reviews on rimfire central have these all-over the place with different problems.

Looks like I got lucky, my only real issue is with the joke of an anodizing job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

After the problems I had with a ruger receiver no way I would suggest to another member to go this route. Just spend the extra $80-90 and get the Kidd slip fit. I am planning on picking one up one day.
View Quote
Agreed, the KIDD receiver at $170ish is the way to go for a custom build.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I just picked mine up and built it out today. Anodizing isn't perfect, couple scratches on the barrel block and rough texture as others have noted. TacSol barrel was a very tight fit but no sanding was required, just a light tap with a rubber mallet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I picked up my Brownells receiver today. It’s too expensive, I’ll say that right up front. With the “Ffl fee”, transfer fee and sales tax it was over $131. Too much.

At first glance I liked what I saw, finish wasn’t as good as expected, but I can live with it. Looks to be 100% machined.  I got the railed version, and the rail looks good.

Then I put it together. Had two burrs I had to remove, no big deal.  Then I can’t get the bolt in.  No problem I have two Ruger bolts, I’ll grab the other one. It won’t go in either. The shelf that the bolt rides on was too long, and had a radius where it joined with the receiver wall. A few minutes with a small file and the bolt will drop in, barely.  I dread having to take it apart for cleaning.

And then the deal breaker. My Green Mountain barrel is a sloppy fit.  I went ahead and installed it, and thought I’d see how it shoots. But the more I think about it, I’m going to ask for a replacement. The barrel fit is looser than any 10/22 I’ve ever had, and I got my first one almost 40 years ago.
View Quote
Picked up my replacement receiver today.  It’s worse than the first one.  Even sloppier fit with the Green Mountain bull barrel I had intended to use. What’s the point in trying to build an accurate rifle when the barrel to receiver fit is so poor.

Then the bolt, or bolt shelf to be more specific.  Like the first one, it’s machined wrong. I had three bolts on hand, could not get it assembled with any of them.  The bolt alone would go, but add the charging handle assembly and it’s a no go.  I wound up getting a bolt partially installed and jammed, tore up the bolt shelf and bent the action rod getting it out.

This piece of shit receiver is going to the bottom of the river.

Just to make sure I hadn’t lost my mind, I stripped my new Ruger Charger.  Bolt dropped right out, and slipped right back in, no issues. The barrel is so tight in the receiver that I couldn’t budge it by hand.

Brownells is supposed to have “improved” the 10/22 receiver ... LOL

If you are considering one of these, maybe you’ll get lucky and get a good one.  After two bad receivers in a row, I’ve learned my lesson.

Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I picked up a couple of these receivers and a Green Mountain barrel.

The barrel to receiver fit is very tight. I don't think I could get the barrel installed without either heating the receiver or a big hammer.

As to the finish, I would say it is about as rough as a Anderson Firearms AR-15 lowers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I was thinking about one of these bolts.  I think I'll pass.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I am having the exact same issues with my railed receiver.  Kidd bolt just doesn't fit because of the radiused rail inside the receiver.

Also, my barrel fitment was extremely loose.  I am using a Keystone 18" bull barrel.

I asked Brownells for a replacement barreled receiver today.  Hope I get one with a tight barrel fitment and non-radiused rail for easier bolt fitment...
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
@maleante

I’d love to hear more about what you think of that barrel.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am having the exact same issues with my railed receiver.  Kidd bolt just doesn't fit because of the radiused rail inside the receiver.

Also, my barrel fitment was extremely loose.  I am using a Keystone 18" bull barrel.

I asked Brownells for a replacement barreled receiver today.  Hope I get one with a tight barrel fitment and non-radiused rail for easier bolt fitment...
View Quote
Good luck, would hope they are putting out a better product now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’d love to hear more about what you think of that barrel.
View Quote
@ARnTN

This is the barrel I'm using. I had it out a bunch of times over the summer and fall. With this gun it's been limited to one sight in on paper and the rest of the time has been shooting steel on BLM land. If you're looking for a quantitative view of the barrel I can't help you out, but for my purposes it is a great shooter and LIGHT. My brother built a 10/22 using Ruger's new lightweight threaded target barrel and my particular 10/22 is noticeably lighter. I'm happy with the purchase and its performance.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@ARnTN

This is the barrel I'm using. I had it out a bunch of times over the summer and fall. With this gun it's been limited to one sight in on paper and the rest of the time has been shooting steel on BLM land. If you're looking for a quantitative view of the barrel I can't help you out, but for my purposes it is a great shooter and LIGHT. My brother built a 10/22 using Ruger's new lightweight threaded target barrel and my particular 10/22 is noticeably lighter. I'm happy with the purchase and its performance.
View Quote
Thanks.  I have an older 10/22 I’m refurbishing and I have been looking at that barrel since I want it to remain light and to keep the factory stock. It seems the selection for aftermarket non-bull barrels is pretty slim.

I’d found the one you have and thought about ordering it if the factory barrel doesn’t group very well.

I was wondering if it was more accurate than a typical factory barrel/how it compared to a bull barrel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
this.  I don't wanna dros any more rifles in CA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top