Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2022 10:20:59 PM EDT
I bought a new aftermarket slide for a Glock that is nitride finished.  

When cleaning the slide I noticed a brown residue that appears much like rust.   The finish on the slide itself looks perfect.

I know on some of the 870 expresses (different finish, I know) this was actually rust from residue left over from finishing process and it was a good idea to get it off as much as possible.  

Is this also rust?  Should I continue to remove as much as possible or just let it be?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Leave it
If im not mistaken, it is a compound put there by factory to polish slide and lower receiver rail interface during initial break in period

ETA
Just read "aftermarket"
What was said above applies to glock factory, perhaps the mfg maintained the same logic?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought a new aftermarket slide for a Glock that is nitride finished.  

When cleaning the slide I noticed a brown residue that appears much like rust.   The finish on the slide itself looks perfect.

I know on some of the 870 expresses (different finish, I know) this was actually rust from residue left over from finishing process and it was a good idea to get it off as much as possible.  

Is this also rust?  Should I continue to remove as much as possible or just let it be?
View Quote

It's not rust, it's an oil residue commonly encountered on nitrided parts, it's kind of the end step of the process and most of the nitride places just leave it on there. I'd suggest removing it with your favorite degreaser, I found denatured alcohol to work well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave it
If im not mistaken, it is a compound put there by factory to polish slide and lower receiver rail interface during initial break in period

ETA
Just read "aftermarket"
What was said above applies to glock factory, perhaps the mfg maintained the same logic?
View Quote

I know what you’re referring to and its not that brown/grease like on new Glocks.  This slide was initially bone dry.  What I’m talking about is not visible initially until you start oiling/cleaning.  And it’s present all over the slide including the exterior surfaces.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's not rust, it's an oil residue commonly encountered on nitrided parts, it's kind of the end step of the process and most of the nitride places just leave it on there. I'd suggest removing it with your favorite degreaser, I found denatured alcohol to work well.
View Quote

Thanks.  I have a couple of nitrided AR barrels and they are pretty glossy, whereas this slide is pretty matte.  

I assume cleaning off this residue might make the finish more shiny?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just got a Right To Bear 22 barrel and same thing when wiping it down, I degreased it, oiled it and moved on.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
you need to go visit this thread..... https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Wont-lie-seems-weird-shooting-a-stream-of-water-on-my-butthole-/5-2530568/
he may have your cleaning solution
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
normal
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Assuming you can strip the slide of parts, best way to remove it is hot water…very hot, brush, dry with hair dryer, then oil.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top