Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2018 8:05:00 PM EDT
I just bought a new Sig Sauer Virtus with a two barrels, a .300 Blackout and a 5.56 barrel both 11.5". Is there any break-in procedure for this set up? I know that some companies say something like shoot 1 shot, clean, shoot another shot, clean, etc, etc.......other say different procedures. I emailed Sig but haven't received a response. I also checked Sig's FAQ page but couldn't find an answer their either.

Is there any procedure for breaking in a Sig Virtus?

If there isn't an official/recommended Sig break-in procedure, what should I do to break it in?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You should not need to break it in. It should fire 100% and be accurate right out of the box.

But as always the more you shoot it the parts will wear and should become even better.

As far as the barrels chrome lined or CHF barrels require no break in. As far as barrels lined lined with other compositions, I do not know.

Stainless or non chrome lined or non CHF steel barrels yes there is a break in procedure or there should be.

Just like a bolt gun.

I looked up your weapon and it did not mention the type of barrels it used.

But no breakin should be required on a AR if built right. It should shoot perfect right out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should not need to break it in. It should fire 100% and be accurate right out of the box.

But as always the more you shoot it the parts will wear and should become even better.

As far as the barrels chrome lined or CHF barrels require no break in. As far as barrels lined lined with other compositions, I do not know.

Stainless or non chrome lined or non CHF steel barrels yes there is a break in procedure or there should be.

Just like a bolt gun.

I looked up your weapon and it did not mention the type of barrels it used.

But no breakin should be required on a AR if built right. It should shoot perfect right out of the box.
View Quote
I assume it’s probably a chrome liner barrel?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig's website says "Cold Hammer Forged Carbon Steel."

Have you shot it yet, OP? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always just broke down any firearm...inspect...clean and lube...

No quality firearm should require a break-in unless advised by the OEM.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sig's website says "Cold Hammer Forged Carbon Steel."

Have you shot it yet, OP? How do you like it?
View Quote
Have not shot it yet. Hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
That whole shoot one clean thing is a procedure for precision rifle barrels recommended by Kreiger and similar companies.  Personally, I don’t buy into it.

AR barrels I just shoot em, especially ones that are CHF and chrome lined.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That whole shoot one clean thing is a procedure for precision rifle barrels recommended by Kreiger and similar companies.  Personally, I don’t buy into it.

View Quote
Thanks everyone.

Just cleaned out the barrels, strangely the 5.56 barrel was dirty but the .300 BO barrel seemed clean with an eyeball check. Can't wait to shoot it soon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot more.  Come home, clean.  Done.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, where are the pics?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, where are the pics?
View Quote
None. lol. It’s nothing fancy, just a stock Virtus.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah precision shooting its to more uniformly copper foul the barrel.

Barrels then don't generally get de-fouled unless switching to another weight, profile, lot or brand of bullet.

Its funny how myths persist.  Especially now in the 21st century and the error-netz.

~Will
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top