Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2022 4:18:50 PM EDT
Just got my brand new liberty franklin safe installed. I've been messing around with different configurations, trying to maximize my long gun storage. Just now I closed the safe and immediately tried to reopen it. However I think a rifle has either fallen against the door or is otherwise impeding the mechanism. It's definitely unlocked I just can't turn the handle.

Am I going to need to call the locksmith for this? Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to get some leverage and push the door closed more. Had that happen to me once.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
edit:  Is it bolted down? If not try leaning it?

Also what could it be hitting on?  Mine have solid doors, no way anything could fall and jam the door.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately it is bolted down in this case. I'm not sure how this could have happened exactly, maybe something got wedged into a corner? Agree that nothing on the door face should give any issues.

It's a mechanical lock, not sure of it makes any difference.

I'm going to call the company that installed it wjen they open. If it's a safe issue hopefully it's under warranty.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Do the AR15.com thing,
spray it doen with CLP, and morter it.
(page 1 humer)
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a little update. The company that installed came out and said it seems like the relocker engaged somehow.

I called liberty and they are saying it's not a warranty issue, which is garbage.

Local company is going to raise hell with liberty, they said it was BS as well.

Upshot is I'm going to need a locksmith. Hopefully the safe is salvageable.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have a little update. The company that installed came out and said it seems like the relocker engaged somehow.

I called liberty and they are saying it's not a warranty issue, which is garbage.

Local company is going to raise hell with liberty, they said it was BS as well.

Upshot is I'm going to need a locksmith. Hopefully the safe is salvageable.
View Quote

That sucks OP I’m sorry, that won’t be a cheap call
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was going to suggest may be the culprit.

You just shut it normal though? It would usually take a hard door slam to trigger a relocker like that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's what I was going to suggest may be the culprit.

You just shut it normal though? It would usually take a hard door slam to trigger a relocker like that.yeah
View Quote
Yeah it's strange everything seemed normal to me. Liberty gave me one more thing to try that didnt work.

Now waiting to hear back from them and next step is a locksmith. Hopefully it's a warranty issue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Finally have a good update. Liberty finally got their heads out of their rears. I talked to the right guy there and he was very apologetic. He sent a work order to the local dealer and they sent out a locksmith yesterday.

Turns out it was indeed the relocker that had gone off because it and the lock were not installed properly.

They had to drill the safe open, but it's finally working again.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you getting a different safe or yours just has a hole in it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a small hole and they did plug so it's cosmetically not that bad. It's also fully functional and the security isn't compromised. Thats being said, it sucks my new safe has a hole in it, even if not very noticeable.

The locksmith said I might he able to get a new safe, but I'm not sure I want to deal with that.

This one is bolted to the ground already.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
They couldn’t just put a new door on it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
See if they will send some touch up paint
You should fix that hole so it is invisible so no one will know where to drill if they are trying to break in
I hope they plugged it so it can't be easily drilled
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
See if they will send some touch up paint
You should fix that hole so it is invisible so no one will know where to drill if they are trying to break in
I hope they plugged it so it can't be easily drilled
View Quote

This^^^

You want that hole/patch totally invisible or it gives indication of where to drill if the relocker is ever tripped during a theft attempt.

I realize that's really unlikely scenario but in my mind it's better to play it safe
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I’d raise Cain.  

Note to self. Strike Liberty off my list for a new safe.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’d raise Cain.  

Note to self. Strike Liberty off my list for a new safe.
View Quote

I'm a Liberty dealer. Sometimes they are a little slow to get the ball rolling but they always come through at the end. They make a nice safe with a lifetime warranty.

One of our customers had a Presidential series safe that burned in a house fire. Liberty replaced the safe and paid for it to be delivered all the way to interior Alaska. Customer lived about 350 miles from a population center of more than 1000 people. He was remote. Liberty still paid up. Technically our shop paid for the shipping and Liberty reimbursed us.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not ask for a new safe, or a new door?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Are relockers vulnerable to failure? If so - is a relocker more valuable than disabling it? Just thinking if someone is drilling my safe, but trips the relocker, does it afford me anything meaningful vs the chance that I'm simply locked out of the safe?
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are relockers vulnerable to failure? If so - is a relocker more valuable than disabling it? Just thinking if someone is drilling my safe, but trips the relocker, does it afford me anything meaningful vs the chance that I'm simply locked out of the safe?
View Quote

There are different types of relockers.  Some are a cable and spring mechanism that cross the lock(s).  If the lock is punched, the cable breaks and springs out the relockers.  Others are glass plate relockers, where an impact breaks the plate and triggers the spring loaded pins.  

If the lock and bolt is not compromised, accessing the relocker alone will not let a perp into the safe.  

They are not vulnerable to failure in most cases, as OP said, it was not installed properly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top