Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 10:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP]
It's too nice.
I got this for a decent price, I've always wanted a folder for an M-1A.
I've seen the SA side folders from back before the 94 AWB, seen the Resse knock off, think I even saw a thread or more a couple years back where someone took a Beretta stock and mated it to a Springfield USGI.
That was my plan. The pics for this didn't show how really nice it was, looked like surplus "good condition", I wouldn't mind taking it apart and using it for a DIY, but now I think I have to find a rifle to fit it. And, it's built like a freaking brickhouse. Solid lock on the arm, no shimmy, just solid.
The PG is wood, all the ones I've seen were plastic, and it has a metal plate and an eye hook on the bottom, may not be factory, and the lightening grooves in the fore end. Finish appears to be shellac, but has a nice, classic feel to it.
I could put it on my Garand, but would look a little silly on a full length. Tanker, maybe, standard, un-uh.
Has anyone done this conversion? Taken the folder armature off and mated it to a USGI stock?
This has to be planned out in advance, step by step, bit by bit, nothing left to chance....you get the point.
If it isn't possible, I'll leave it as it is.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen one in real life. I would build out into a complete compact folder.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this the one that was on GB a couple weeks ago? I was tempted to bid on it but didn't have a good application.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
Is this the one that was on GB a couple weeks ago? I was tempted to bid on it but didn't have a good application.
View Quote

You mean the one that was incorrectly listed as a "Mini-14" folder?
Maybe........
Alright, I found some pics from OTB for a Nigerian BM-59, appears the PG is from that, and some of the Alpine "Paracadutsi"? stocks did have the lightening grooves, but they also had the side sling swivel in the front.
I think this was probably a BM-59 collectors mishmash personal stock.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd get a BM59 and put it on that - Seems like you need another gun to scratch this itch and not destroy a nice stock.

Para stocks are often very expensive, if you got it cheap, you better feed it the right part

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:51:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sailormilan2] [#5]
I have one of the Reese made later versions, without the support arm for the buttplate that locks into position.  The Reese made versions have a spring loaded plunger to lock the buttplate in position.  It has a distressing tendency to unlock. I upgraded the spring, so it doesn't do it as often.  I used to have my Tanker in it.  Very nice, handy package at about 28 1/2" long.  But, unfortunately, with changes in the gun laws here in CA, I can no longer have it a folding stock(too short).  I can put a standard Garand in it, but I think it looks stupid.  Mine has a cut down T-37 Flash Suppressor, which seems to work okay.  Nowadays, I think I would just go with a Garand Muzzle adapter and an extended A2 style birdcage FS.
Here's a pic of it, along with a Reese BM 59 full size stock.  Bottom one is my stock with my brother's 30-06 Tanker in and with full length T-37 FS.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:26:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#6]
Originally Posted By Sailormilan2:
But, unfortunately, with changes in the gun laws here in CA, I can no longer have it a folding stock(too short).  

https://i.imgur.com/QcD2SeK.jpeg

View Quote

I'm sure it sucks for you, but, thank you for your sacrifice in helping to keep the streets of Oakland and La Ciudad de Los Angeles, safe!
Arbitrary measurements are the first step in saving the children.
As a "born and raised there" former Californian, I can say that without mocking.
It used to be such a great state......
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the Reese made later versions, without the support arm for the buttplate that locks into position.  The Reese made versions have a spring loaded plunger to lock the buttplate in position.  It has a distressing tendency to unlock. I upgraded the spring, so it doesn't do it as often.  I used to have my Tanker in it.  Very nice, handy package at about 28 1/2" long.  But, unfortunately, with changes in the gun laws here in CA, I can no longer have it a folding stock(too short).  I can put a standard Garand in it, but I think it looks stupid.  Mine has a cut down T-37 Flash Suppressor, which seems to work okay.  Nowadays, I think I would just go with a Garand Muzzle adapter and an extended A2 style birdcage FS.
Here's a pic of it, along with a Reese BM 59 full size stock.  Bottom one is my stock with my brother's 30-06 Tanker in and with full length T-37 FS.

View Quote

Might you consider to use a BM59 and "fixed" BM59 mag in it vs Garand?  A BM59 can be stripper clip fed from the top with a clip guide.

Gives you the look of a BM59 and not a Garand.  There is probably a way it can be done to make it non-removable, but with some smithing return should you move out of state or sell out of state in the future.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Might you consider to use a BM59 and "fixed" BM59 mag in it vs Garand?  A BM59 can be stripper clip fed from the top with a clip guide and spot weld the long BM muzzle brake to AOL?

Gives you the look of a BM59 and not a Garand.  There is probably a way it can be done to make it non-removable, but with some smithing return should you move out of state or sell out of state in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top