Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2019 10:51:38 AM EDT
I kinda piggybacked into another thread, but I thought I'd start a stand alone for my new rifle.

For starters, when I logged it in my bound book, it has been 4 years since I bought a C&R.

I've been on a WWI kick, thanks to Sabaton.

I stopped by a not-so-great gun shop by my house last week, and they had a sportered M1917. Metal was unmolested, and over the weekend, I searched for parts. Unfortunately, I thought it was in a cut stock, but it was actually an aftermarket, so I have to find all of the stock hardware.

It's an October 1918 Remington receiver with an August 1918 barrel. Small parts are a mix, with a shoe company bolt. The blueing is in great shape, probably 90+ percent, except on one ear, where it must have rubbed against something.

Attachment Attached File

Get this: bubba also removed the rear sight, but let the rear sight leaf spring screw, and painted the top of it white, along with the front sight blade. What a sighting system! Bubba also ground the follower on a piece of rock or something so it would close on an empty bolt.

Anyways, I've been on the search for a stock and hardware. Numrich has repros, and one or two places have originals. I think I want an original. It looks like I'll need almost $300 in parts. If anyone has a link to an original stock for a good price, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You might keep an eye on Dupage.  I bought a P14 drill rifle from them for the Remington M1917 stock it was in.  I intend to use the Remington stock while getting a crack in my Eddystone stock repaired.  Once all that is done, the drill rifle can be a wall hanger.

The drill rifle was $350; an original stock was recently for sale on GB for $365.  I don't think it sold...at least it had been relisted several times.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd LOVE to have an M1917.  It seems much more robust than the M1903.

What was the joke about WWI, "the British had the best battle rifle, the Germans had the best hunting rifle, the Americans had the best target rifle?"
View Quote
You probably know there were more M1917s overseas than 1903s, so that kind of negates the joke.

The sights on the 1917 were perfect for its use, and are possibly some of the best sights for a bolt action rifle until the M1903A3.

The British might have had an advantage in magazine size, but I would take a M1917 over any bolt rifle of WWI.

This will go well with the trench whistle I bought that should get here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 12:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You probably know there were more M1917s overseas than 1903s, so that kind of negates the joke.

The sights on the 1917 were perfect for its use, and are possibly some of the best sights for a bolt action rifle until the M1903A3.

The British might have had an advantage in magazine size, but I would take a M1917 over any bolt rifle of WWI.

This will go well with the trench whistle I bought that should get here tomorrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd LOVE to have an M1917.  It seems much more robust than the M1903.

What was the joke about WWI, "the British had the best battle rifle, the Germans had the best hunting rifle, the Americans had the best target rifle?"

The M1917 was a solid rifle.   Minor flaw with that flipper ejector spring and the Brit no1mk3 had a nice ability to have different stock lengths on top of the ten round capability.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!

I bought one a little over 2 years ago. All the metal intact, but Bubba chopped the stock and shitcanned the handguards.

Hell of a shooter!
I restored an M1903A3 that was in the same condition for under $200, but M1917 stocks are insane, lately.

Sarco has some parts you might need.

I saw another one recently that was bubba'd worse, I may pick it up to replicate Harrow's "sniper rifle" from Boardwalk Empire.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I saw the parts at Sarco, and that's probably who I'll buy from.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
My first rifle was a sporterized Winchester M1917.  Barrel looks like an old sewer pipe but it shot pretty good.

I got a GI Winchester M1917, but with a JA barrel, a couple years later.  It shoots pretty good, too.

I much prefer the M1917 over the 03.  I'm a big guy with long arms and an 03 is just too damn short.  The M1917 is longer and fits me much better.  And, my grandpa would have carried one while in France and Germany with the 3rd US Infantry Div. in 1917 and 1918.

A few years back I saw a barreled action lying on a private table at a local gun show.  I looked at it (Eddystone with the original bolt/barrel) and it had the prettiest barrel I've ever seen on an old WW1 rifle.  Sharp lands, shiny and clean.  Just a little dust in it.  I asked the guy about it and he told me he got when he was cleaning out an old barn for an old lady that was moving off her farm.  He was asking $150 and I handed it over quick.  Got the parts I needed here and there off ebay, sarco, numrich, etc. and put it all back together.  It's a pretty good shooter, too, though I almost never shoot it.

They are pretty stout rifles.

OP, look around for the a movie called The Lost Battalion.  Lots of M1917 action.  True story based on a battle and it's aftermath during WW1.  Not enough medals awarded for what those guys went through for a week or so of being surrounded by a large part of the German Army that was determined to over run them  and remove them as a driver for other parts of the US Army to break through to relieve them.  When the US Army finally did break through their commanding officer refused a ride out with the commanding general.  He told the general he'd walked into that place with his men and he was going to walk out with them.  Sadly, he committed suicide a few years later (but that's not in the movie).
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to show Lost Battalion to my Marines as examples of leadership traits and principles.

This bore looks absolutely mirror bright. I unfortunately can't get a good pic with my iPhone.

I'd like to have it back together in time for Veterans Day, for the 101st anniversary of the war it probably never saw action in.

I just dont don't want to drop the coin on a stock for the prices I'm seeing right now. It might happen, though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP, look around for the a movie called The Lost Battalion.  Lots of M1917 action.
View Quote
Interestingly, in the film, some of the American soldiers are seen using WW2-era British Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1s.  Likely due to a shortage of M1917s during filming.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Does CMP still sell repro stocksets?

They did for at least a while.

I put a the cMP C stock on my M1903 as the Greek return I purchased had beech repair patches.   The work installing the beech patches at the stock heel and forestock tip were well crafted and fitted but the off color just looked crappy.   At the time real C stocks and S stocks went for more than I paid for the rifle.   Scant stocks were still available but I loathe them.

I know a repro lacks a bit of character and authenticity but they are serviceable and look better than a sporterized job.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interestingly, in the film, some of the American soldiers are seen using WW2-era British Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1s.  Likely due to a shortage of M1917s during filming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, look around for the a movie called The Lost Battalion.  Lots of M1917 action.
Now I want to rewatch it.   I thought they had Springfield’s in the film.  It has been awhile since watching it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does CMP still sell repro stocksets?

They did for at least a while.

I know a repro lacks a bit of character and authenticity but they are serviceable and look better than a sporterized job.  
View Quote
I thought they did. I looked, but didn't see any.

Maybe I'll give them a call today.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Numerich has repro stocks

That’s what I put on my tanker.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Liberty Tree Collectors has front and rear handguards, barrel bands, sling swivels, rear sights, and repro stocks.  Seems to be nearly everything you'd need to put it back in original configuration, minus the buttplate and buttplate screws, and Numrich has those.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=H&resultCnt=400&keyword=m1917
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]
grrr...

Well, so far this looks like it will cost me more than I want.  Whoever up in the thread said the price of M1917 stocks has gone insane in recent history has been right.

Looks like if I want a stock, it's going to be in the $220 range, and might not even include the handguards or hardware.

Sarco still has the best prices, maybe with Numrich coming in very close, or beating them on some stuff.

I did get in touch with a guy who has all of the parts I need, and he'd even pick out all Remington parts for me for a small upcharge, but we're still talking $350+ to finish this rifle off, and that doesn't include handguards.  His stock has a strange repair, where there would have been a band spring to retain the middle barrel band, and it has no pin there to keep the band in place.  Anyone know anything about that?  It's stamped as an Eddystone stock, IIRC.

If I would have bought this rifle a week or two earlier, I could have found some much cheaper ones on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
This is why project guns rarely work out economically, nowadays you pretty much need to do them as a project of love...there is rarely the opportunity to get any milsurp on the cheap anymore, especially projects.

Too many guys all need the same parts, especially stocks...

Frickin' nice 98k stocks can go $400-$500, and properly un-numbered late war Kriegsmodell stocks with correct bands will cost nearly $1000 if you can find one...

1917 wood is comparatively cheap...

But if you are going to do it, might as well do it right, and pony up for the real deal...
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, I'm quite aware this is a labor of love.

It will be worth it, I'm chasing another lead right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
throw it in a McMillan or Manners stock
View Quote
I should hit you with the sporter stock I took off of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Just sent you an IM with a small gunshop near me that I think has a 1917 or P14 stock sitting in a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Was hoping for a beltfed
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just sent you an IM with a small gunshop near me that I think has a 1917 or P14 stock sitting in a barrel.
View Quote
I appreciate it. I gave them a call, it sold, but he told me to check back in a few weeks.

I have a local lead, and one or two remote leads as well.
Quoted:
Was hoping for a beltfed
View Quote
Supposedly my job offer will be showing up this week, and the pay may support something like that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Tomorrow I will be picking up a nice Remington stock from a guy that is somewhat local.

I also made payments to a guy on a Facebook group who is selling me all the metal parts.

Finally, I won an auction on Gunbroker for some NOS handguards.

Bubba will soon be a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Unbubba #2!

Strip, clean, or neither?

Normally, I strip the stock with Purple Power and hot water. This one has a nice aged look to it, so I might not do that.

But should I clean it with Murphy's oil soap?

Also, my metal parts arrived today. Currently de-cosmoing them with hot water.

Pic of the stock and rifle:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Just waiting on my handguards to reassemble.

Pic of Bubba's "precision" rear sight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#28]
DAMMIT!

Fucking bubba chunked the front sight spline, too!

"Cletus, why is it I always wind up with extry parts?"

Lets see if I can alter my Numrich order.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
THAT is the rear sight? I seriously thought it was just a random flathead screw.

I notice he only painted HALF of it hi-viz white.  Was he missing his right eye?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Painted hi-viz white!
THAT is the rear sight? I seriously thought it was just a random flathead screw.

I notice he only painted HALF of it hi-viz white.  Was he missing his right eye?
He was using the slotted screw as a rear sight, and had removed the front sight to get all of that icky military stuff off, later reinstalling the entire front sight base backwards (with it rounded towards him), and forgot to put the spline back on, possibly allowing it to rotate.

Thank God he put the pin back in though, I mean...geez.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice!

I bought one a little over 2 years ago. All the metal intact, but Bubba chopped the stock and shitcanned the handguards.
https://www.breachbangclear.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/m1917.jpg
Hell of a shooter!
I restored an M1903A3 that was in the same condition for under $200, but M1917 stocks are insane, lately.

Sarco has some parts you might need.

I saw another one recently that was bubba'd worse, I may pick it up to replicate Harrow's "sniper rifle" from Boardwalk Empire.
https://www.breachbangclear.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/800px-BE312-enfield4.jpg
View Quote
It could be my eyes but your front sight does not look original.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It could be my eyes but your front sight does not look original.
View Quote
Looks like the barrel may be chopped as well.

Front sight replacement is easy, as long as the milled channel is there, and the length is correct.

If not, tanker M1917!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Less enthusiastic update:

The wood on the stock that is over the top of the reinforcement/recoil bolt is in pretty sad shape. I pulled the chips off today and acraglassed them back into place. If this doesn't stand up, I may have to pillar bed the whole action, which isn't original, but it's better than the stock being firewood.

When I put the buttplate on yesterday, I thought I may have stripped one of the screw holes out. Yep, sure did. I drilled it out and acraglassed a dowel in there. If it holds well, I can cut the dowel flush tomorrow and re-drill the hole.

Since the acraglas was out, I went ahead and repaired a cracked grip on an M1910 bolo knife I have. This knife is kind of interesting, I picked it up in a pawn shop about 8 years ago, it had the cracked handle, and the nuts for the grip screws were wrong. Anyways, I ordered the screws from S&S Firearms, and I think I picked the right ones. What is interesting is that this knife doesn't have the retaining latch installed. So if anyone has a junk M1905 bayonet (or needs extra grip washers for one), let me know.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is why project guns rarely work out economically, nowadays you pretty much need to do them as a project of love...there is rarely the opportunity to get any milsurp on the cheap anymore, especially projects.

Too many guys all need the same parts, especially stocks...

Frickin' nice 98k stocks can go $400-$500, and properly un-numbered late war Kriegsmodell stocks with correct bands will cost nearly $1000 if you can find one...

1917 wood is comparatively cheap...

But if you are going to do it, might as well do it right, and pony up for the real deal...
View Quote
I don't sell many milsurp stocks as I mostly buy Bubba'd Mausers.  But I am putting a complete G.33/40 stock set w/ metal up for sale later today.

Barrel and action had seen the love of Bubba.  8mm-06 chamber, sights removed, drilled and tapped and rear bridge reshaped.  But stock unmolested.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Less enthusiastic update:

The wood on the stock that is over the top of the reinforcement/recoil bolt is in pretty sad shape. I pulled the chips off today and acraglassed them back into place. If this doesn't stand up, I may have to pillar bed the whole action, which isn't original, but it's better than the stock being firewood.

When I put the buttplate on yesterday, I thought I may have stripped one of the screw holes out. Yep, sure did. I drilled it out and acraglassed a dowel in there. If it holds well, I can cut the dowel flush tomorrow and re-drill the hole.

Since the acraglas was out, I went ahead and repaired a cracked grip on an M1910 bolo knife I have. This knife is kind of interesting, I picked it up in a pawn shop about 8 years ago, it had the cracked handle, and the nuts for the grip screws were wrong. Anyways, I ordered the screws from S&S Firearms, and I think I picked the right ones. What is interesting is that this knife doesn't have the retaining latch installed. So if anyone has a junk M1905 bayonet (or needs extra grip washers for one), let me know.
View Quote
Okay, the repairs are looking pretty good.  The buttstock screw is nice and tight now.  Quite impressed with myself.  I should really buy some tapered bits if I'm going to do a lot of stock work.  The recoil bolt area looks okay.  I'm not sure how acraglas holds up to shock, but we'll see how it goes at first.

I wiped down the stock a touch with some Murphy's oil soap because I needed a break from the two kids.  It took some grime off, but there are still a few areas with the hardened black stuff, if you're familiar.

My handguards should be shipped very soon, as I paid by personal check.  I will have to wait the longest for the front sight spline, since Bubba decided it wasn't necessary.  I also ordered a repro Kerr sling.

Most importantly, I bought a M1917 bayonet off eBay.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is the date on the Bolo?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#38]
1910. Serial 1053.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Update #3

My pointy thingy arrived.

I was bidding on Gunbroker for one and lost out at something like $190. Then I hopped on eBay and bought one for $175 (wtf, they charge tax?)

This one is a little more unique because it was made for the British, but then repurchased by America and restamped with a US. To be more odd, this is a very late date for it, 9-17.

It has a significant amount of blue left, but has some file marks by a bored Joe, I'm certain. It is missing a grip screw but, but LibertyTree has them, unless someone has one floating around.

Attachment Attached File

That came out more potato-y than I thought.

Attachment Attached File

Handguards are here, they were Remington NOS, but required a touch of fitting to get them to fit. I gave them some BLO, but they'll need quite a few coats. I am still deciding if I should strip the stock or not.

I'm only missing the front sight key/spline, and that should be here soon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#40]
If you are interested, I have a complete NOS/BNIB Boyd's repro 1917 stock with hand guards but no metal... If you want it, just PM me and we can work out something...
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Sadly certain "rescues" are just not worth the cost. My LGS has a cut-down stocked Springfield Model 1892 Krag–Jørgensen rifle and when i figured what it would cost me to get it up to snuff the juice was simply not worth the squeeze.....And that was with some on-hand parts that I had squirreled away.

The last halfway decent OEM stock set i saw (stripped) went for over $425.00.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you are interested, I have a complete NOS/BNIB Boyd's repro 1917 stock with hand guards but no metal... If you want it, just PM me and we can work out something...
View Quote
Thanks, I'm good with the stock I have right now. I like character, as long as the repairs hold up, which I think they will.
Quoted:
Sadly certain "rescues" are just not worth the cost. My LGS has a cut-down stocked Springfield Model 1892 KragJrgensen rifle and when i figured what it would cost me to get it up to snuff the juice was simply not worth the squeeze.....And that was with some on-hand parts that I had squirreled away.

View Quote
Cost is one thing, but I haven't had this much fun building an AR just about ever.

This has cost me a little more than buying a cheap-and probably worse condition-unabused model, though I got to spread the cost out, and use my PayPal balance from selling off some stuff I didn't use.

A Krag would be a good next project, though certainly more expensive. My pawnshops are garbage compared to yours.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks, I'm good with the stock I have right now. I like character, as long as the repairs hold up, which I think they will.
Cost is one thing, but I haven't had this much fun building an AR just about ever.

This has cost me a little more than buying a cheap-and probably worse condition-unabused model, though I got to spread the cost out, and use my PayPal balance from selling off some stuff I didn't use.

A Krag would be a good next project, though certainly more expensive. My pawnshops are garbage compared to yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly certain "rescues" are just not worth the cost. My LGS has a cut-down stocked Springfield Model 1892 KragJrgensen rifle and when i figured what it would cost me to get it up to snuff the juice was simply not worth the squeeze.....And that was with some on-hand parts that I had squirreled away.

I recently traded a mostly Eddystone M1917 Enfield (stock was Winchester) and period bayonet/sheath for a Winchester M1895 Saddle Ring Carbine they were wanting 1K for so the value is there. The last one I saw sold there straight-out went for $900.00 and it was a mix of parts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I recently traded a mostly Eddystone M1917 Enfield (stock was Winchester) and period bayonet/sheath for a Winchester M1895 Saddle Ring Carbine they were wanting 1K for so the value is there. The last one I saw sold there straight-out went for $900.00 and it was a mix of parts.
View Quote
I'll be at about $760 before the bayonet purchase.

I've seen one or two on Gunbroker go for around $500-600, but I don't know why.

I could have held out for a much nicer stock, as this one would have deserved it, because it's at like 90+% blue except for one ear. If I get another in worse condition, I can always swap stocks around.

Speaking of, I did a light scrub of the stock with 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits to get some of the worst of the crud off. Then I mixed the remaining mineral spirits I had with BLO and gave it a coat.

In a happy accident, the old crud from cleaning the stock transferred to the handguards pretty nicely, so they are closer to matching now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Cause it all comes down to that...when you go face-to-face with a mud crunching Heine bastard with one of these at the end of his rifle....You'd better stick it in him before he sticks it in you.

That, you gotta worry about.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
The British Lee Enfield No4 with its micrometer rear sight laughs at you... ;-p
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
But muh protective ears!
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I need a 1917. Amazing pieces of history.

My mom has a picture of her grandfather poised with a 1917 in his uniform somewhere in her house.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FUNNY, is that the No.4 was introduced a year before the M1903A3 - but the micrometer sights would have been a post-war only option - as no No.4 rifles were sold to civilians during the war = M1903A3 wins that one
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I need a 1917. Amazing pieces of history.

My mom has a picture of her grandfather poised with a 1917 in his uniform somewhere in her house.
View Quote
What was he doing in your mothers house with an M1917, wearing uniform?

IF you ever see the BBC TV series Dads Army - lots of 1917 action - as the design was on widespread issue during WW2 to the Home Front guys, esp. Home Guard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top