Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2018 8:38:50 PM EDT
Anyone make their own Neilson Device or Recoil Booster for a pistol can?

The booster itself shouldn't be a big problem but I'm really not sure what spring rate to use.  I've found internet recommendations that vary from 25 lb/ft up to 65 lb/ft which is a pretty big variation.   I've got an SWR 9mm booster and a Gemtech 45 booster and those springs feel pretty stiff.

Lee Springs has a good selection of spring rates in the general size that I'd use.  If the springs were really cheap, I'd just buy a variety of different rates but they are close to $10 each, which will add up if I am buying a bunch of different ones.

Any ideas on what spring rate to use in a recoil booster?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#1]
3/32 wire diameter with about 1/4" coil spacing, assuming you're planning on "typical" 3/4" diameter piston body.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this is the one I used for my boost. There's two in my project folder, but I'm pretty sure this was it. My booster is similar to the Octane's.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3/32 wire diameter with about 1/4" coil spacing, assuming you're planning on "typical" 3/4" diameter piston body.
View Quote
I was more looking for the spring rate needed.

I'm not going to make my own spring, just buy one from Lee Springs.

Basic spring dimensions would be:

OAL:    1.250"

OD:

ca. 1.000"

Wire thickness:    ca. .080" to .100"

Your 3/32 diameter is within what I am looking for though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think this is the one I used for my boost. There's two in my project folder, but I'm pretty sure this was it. My booster is similar to the Octane's.
View Quote
Yea, so that spring has a rate of 66 lb/in which is on the higher side from other sources I have come across on the inter webs and this forum.

How did this spring work out for you?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Could Would someone explain to me how a booster works and what it's job is?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
A short recoil Browning pattern handgun requires the barrel to move backwards with the slide and then tilt unto unlock from the slide.  Each pistol is balanced for the weight of the slide and the recoil spring to ensure it functions properly.  This is an "equal and opposite reaction" kind of equation.

Add a silencer on to the end of the barrel and the weight and length of the can disrupts the equal and opposite part of the equation which means the pistol will no longer cycle properly.

A recoil booster or Neilson Device features a piston and spring.  This allows the weight of the can to be unlinked from the barrel just long enough for the barrel to move backwards, unlock and allow the gun to cycle properly.  There are slow motion videos out there showing this process under live fire.  They are kind of interesting because it is clear that the suppressor stays where it is, while the barrel is jerked backwards under recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top