Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2020 4:36:33 PM EDT
I get the point that they are small, compact, folding and all that but, are they accurate? I doubt accuracy would match a 16-20" barrel but I'm trying to wrap my head around this; what are the Pros/Cons of this concept? Why not just get a semi-auto AR pistol in 308 or 300blk?

I've found one and wondering if it would fit the need for an 'emergency' gun sitting in the truck with a 'get home' bag and also double as something for the deer/hog stand.

Something like this....

https://blackcollararms.com/product/pork-sword/
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
what does barrel length have to do with accuracy?

hint: nothing (if anything increased stiffness helps it).

Reduced velocity is what you get from shorter barrels. If you're shooting subsonic ammo anyway, it literally doesn't matter.

For 300blk subsonic, a bolt gun is quieter than a semi auto or even an AR with the option to turn "off" the gas. That's what a lot of people like about the bolt action 300blk. Pistol is just popular because if you're not gaining anything from longer barrels (ie. velocity) then why pay the weight and length penalty? And instead of SBRing a rifle, you can build a pistol, so - that's the reason you see pistols.

For 308, etc - the reduced velocity just cuts down the useful range. If you're hunting and your shots will be within 100-200 yards on deer, then you don't need a 16-20" 308. Smaller is better in blinds and stands, and lighter is better carrying around. Shorter also means you can suppress it without having a musket-length rifle. Again, if a 12.5" 308 will give you the ballistics you need for a 200 yard kill, and that's all you need, why pay the weight and length penalty for nothing gained? And an AR, even a short one, in 308 is going to be way heavier than a bolt action of the same barrel length - and longer, too, typically. So if you don't need semi auto capability, why pay the weight and length penalty?

Short bolt-action pistols aren't going to replace standard rifles. They aren't better at everything - they are a specific application for a specific purpose. If you have such a purpose, then maybe that's just what you were looking for. If you don't then you'll go with something else.

But accuracy isn't even part of the equation. Accuracy between models, designs, calibers, individual samples, etc is to be considered just like in standard-length rifles, but just because the barrel is "short" doesn't have any intrinsic detrimental effect on accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that. I doubt there'd be a need to shoot beyond 200y where I hunt and I'd use supers in that case anyway. I might be crazy but think I'm gonna buy one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a raging hard on for a Remington XP100 in .221 Fireball when I couldn't afford one, but then once I could I got over it.

If I were to find one today and was mildly intoxicated I may still rediscover the urge assuming it wasn't ridiculous expensive
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Had to look that one up....nice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 308 Savage Striker pistol years ago to use for deer hunting. We were limited to shotgun or pistol here until a few years ago. Accuracy wasn't that impressive until I started hand loading. With hand loads it is very accurate.
The muzzle blast is impressive!
I found it very difficult to shoot offhand so did most shooting/hunting from a bench or rest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownells (!) is selling a new pistol chassis for 700s. Just a slightly modded MDT chassis.

Uses AR extension rather than that pic attachment.

Still debating building one, but yes, great compact, short range hunting or sniper weapon.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The appeal for me is being able to carry a suppressed bolt gun loaded in a vehicle per Mi law.  Makes it nice shooting wood chucks just step out of the vehicle and fire not dealing with a case.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I want a 300bo porksword in the worst way. I don’t hunt so I don’t “need”
It but that gets around some states silly hunting rules. Bolt 300 with subs is quiet, and if your e going to shoot in your backyard or a short range who cares?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Pork Sword in 300blk is exactly what I bought. Meets a lot of my wants/needs. Can’t wait to run it suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pork Sword in 300blk is exactly what I bought. Meets a lot of my wants/needs. Can't wait to run it suppressed.
View Quote
I tried several versions of an AR in 300blk to get it as quiet as my 16" Remington 700 in 300blk with subs. None of them worked, but I wanted a small, light gun - which the R700 is not.

The pork sword and other pistol bolt guns weren't really available at the time, and you'd have to buy a virgin action and barrel it, etc yourself to get a pistol. Not happening.

I ended up doing a 6" AR with a barrel that had no gas port and a side charge upper. It fit the bill, plus I can use it on pistol or SBR lowers. It's super quiet and I'm happy with it, but now that bolt action pistols are becoming more popular and available, I keep finding myself looking at them and trying to justify getting one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had one XP-100 for nearly 30 years. (7mmTCU)
Owned several others also.

It will be one of the last I would ever sell and hope to leave it to one of my kids.

Want to learn how to shoot accurately with a scoped firearm?  Use an accurate pistol.
It will magnify every error you make......but when you get it right?  Very satisfying.
Many people don't like scoped accurate pistols because they don't shoot them well.

I carried a target in my wallet for many years shot with that XP.  10 shots at 100 yds.
Just under 3/4" with one called shot(#9) that opened the group.   Without that flyer, it was under 1/2".
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It will be one of the last I would ever sell and hope to leave it to one of my kids.

Want to learn how to shoot accurately with a scoped firearm?  Use an accurate pistol.
It will magnify every error you make......but when you get it right?  Very satisfying.
Many people don't like scoped accurate pistols because they don't shoot them well.

I carried a target in my wallet for many years shot with that XP.  10 shots at 100 yds.
Just under 3/4" with one called shot(#9) that opened the group.   Without that flyer, it was under 1/2".
View Quote
These days people most put braces on their scoped pistols. Because yeah, trying to shoot a rifle-weight firearm as a handgun does suck, which is why many people don't shoot them well and therefore dislike them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
These days people most put braces on their scoped pistols. Because yeah, trying to shoot a rifle-weight firearm as a handgun does suck, which is why many people don't shoot them well and therefore dislike them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't shoot that group offhand, and when I hunted with an XP or Contender I used field expedient supports.
Just as I do with rifles.
Using a brace as a stock during handgun only hunting seasons might meet the rule of law, but not the spirit.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I didn't shoot that group offhand, and when I hunted with an XP or Contender I used field expedient supports.
Just as I do with rifles.
Using a brace as a stock during handgun only hunting seasons might meet the rule of law, but not the spirit.  YMMV.
View Quote
Technically correct.... The best kind of correct.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a raging hard on for a Remington XP100 in .221 Fireball when I couldn't afford one, but then once I could I got over it.

If I were to find one today and was mildly intoxicated I may still rediscover the urge assuming it wasn't ridiculous expensive
View Quote

Same here.  I wanted one so bad back in the day but couldn't afford one.  Now that I can afford one they are scarce as hen's teeth.  A guy at the range I RSO at brings one out occasionally (and it is chambered for 221 Fireball) and I drool every time he does.  They were just so cool and unique for their day, I'd still love to have one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Does shooting a groundhog with a .22 chipmunk pistol count. It has a cheap Chinese 2 1/2 power scope on it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll buy one when they make them like this again.

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
They are fun to shoot. It really pisses Fuds off when you shoot smaller groups with a pistol than they can with their rifles.

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are fun to shoot. It really pisses Fuds off when you shoot smaller groups with a pistol than they can with their rifles.

https://i.imgur.com/4Zq9a0m.jpg
View Quote

That has been the case for a long time.  Possibly before the common use of "Fudd".

This picture in 15+ years old and I have owned the blue XP for nearly 30 years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Got a start on my bolt action pistol today using an old Masterpiece arms stock. This is going to be perfect in Mi you can't have a loaded or uncased rifle in your vehicle . You can carry a pistol any firearm less than 26" with a barrel shorter than 16" is a pistol . Folded a 16" barrel is under 26" OAL so a 15" will work.
Will update after I barrel a virgin receiver just need to pick a small caliber for wood chucks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Single shot (or even repeating) pistols in rifle calibers are nothing new nor a fad.  The XP100, Savage Stryker, the TC Contender/G2/Encore, etc.

Purpose and popularity was for several things - first, rifle caliber in smaller lighter package.  Great for hunting out west, where long walks and long shots are the norm.  Then of course the competition stuff, like silhouette shooting.

I'm just confused as to why there aren't more available.  Basically any single shot or bolt action rifle needs just a shorter barrel and a different stock.  Not only that, but for right handed shooters a left side bolt is good, so you increase production numbers on the left handed bolt guns to help amortize those costs over more units.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I’ve got a decent collection of guns by any standard. Lots of fun stuff, full auto, silencers, night vision, etc.

My favorite gun and the one that people enjoy the most is my 9.5” river American ranch 300blk SBR with a SiCo Omega on it. Shooting subs at steel never gets old and always brings a smile to anyone that shoots it. I actually use it every deer season with black tip 110s with great success.

I got lucky and snatched up 5k hornady 208amax pills on clearance when they switched the design over. I think I paid $150 for the whole lot. Subs for days.

That little 400 gun (plus No Fun Act tax) punches above its weight class for pure enjoyment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top