Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2020 5:38:32 PM EDT
I have had absolutely crap luck with brass processing in the past.

Three times previously, over the course of a number of years, and various other companies, I  purchased "processed brass," or I hired a commercial outfit to process brass. Those three prior episodes were each a disaster. Brass was "sized" alright. ALL DIFFERENT SIZES - ten thousandths variation base-to-shoulder. And don't even get me started with the one outfit that sent me back 500 pieces of 7.62 brass that had 25 thousandts runout at the neck. I don't know how that's even possible to do that on a reloading machine.

I decided to give this farm-out-the-brass one more try. I sent a large flat-rate box of once-fired Wolf .223 brass to Blue Ridge Brass.
https://blueridgebrass.com/brass-processing/

The brass arrived home today. I'm pleased.
Every service promised was provided.
Other than a bullet and powder, the only thing this brass needs now is a primer, and a mouth-chamfer.

Base-to-shoulder dimension is CORRECT.

Overall length is CORRECT.

Here's some pics and measurements.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll check them out, thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the post. Did you post in another recent brass processing thread?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the post. Did you post in another recent brass processing thread?
View Quote

Probably
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#4]
In for the range report!

How will you use them?

Competition, varminting, SD, blasting?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Ammunition will be used for highpower rifle competition.

I’ll load a test batch soon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it poor form to note the processors that were not up to par?  Was looking for a processor and blueridge and m&s are on my short list.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it poor form to note the processors that were not up to par?  Was looking for a processor and blueridge ans m&s are on my short list.
View Quote

If you're going to write a negative review of any product/service, best that you be the OP, and that the post be made in a suitable sub-forum.

What I can tell you about the three I encounted is this:

The guy who sent me back the insane-runout 7.62 brass was local to me, and well regarded. He has since folded his operation.
The two others (5.56 brass) were start-up operations that posted in the Marketplace forum on another board. I gave each of them bad reviews, and AFAIK, they didn't try to sell any more "processed brass."

I think some folks get that first expensive progressive press, and think they're gonna go in business. Well, good for them. But don't put a kid in charge of running the machine, and always check the work. If I had to bet, a kid was involved in each of the three disasters I endured previously.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the info.
I'm not going to crap on a processor(vendor) in someone else's thread. I would start my own. Let alone I would only comment on such vendors that I have experience with. I am just looking at processors for when I'm ready to send a few thousand cases out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
@dryflash3. Going to have to have an explanation on why you commented "yes".
If it was an experience of a member of this forum that a certain brass processor(or other vendor) did not have a service or product that was up to par, wouldn't that be informative for other members?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Blue Ridge Brass = Austin Chocklett...  Good people.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The headspace tolerance is amazing. I never trusted an outside source to get it right before.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The headspace tolerance is amazing. I never trusted an outside source to get it right before.
View Quote

I resize 5.56 on a RockChucker (single stage). Best I can do for base-to-shoulder consistency is 0.002”
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Blue Ridge Brass = Austin Chocklett...  Good people.
View Quote

well austins brass looks new. I'm definitely a brass ratt and that's some pretty stuff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Never mind
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Today I fired 100 pieces of the once-fired Wolf .223 processed by Blue Ridge Brass.

Excellent results.

All cases cycled normally in my White Oak Armament service-rifle uppers.
Very good accuracy as per normal with the WOA upper.
Loads were:
24.4 grains VARGET with 80 SMK loaded to 2.400" OAL
24.2 grains VARGET with 77 SMK loaded to 2.250" OAL

20 shots prone in upper #1 (~1000 rounds on this one). 18 shots in the 10-ring of the MR-52 target (I dropped two low 9's because my follow-through sucked badly on two shots).
20 shots prone in upper #2 (~7000 rounds on this one, and JB'd like there was no tomorrow prior to range trip). All shots in the 10-ring of the MR-52 target.

Attachment Attached File

I fired several prone strings on the reduced rapid-fire targets (300-yard reduced for 200), and also several strings in sitting position on the standard SR-target.
The prone-rapid strings were good. Lost only one point when I shouldered the gun for a waterline 9.
The sitting strings were my typical "pepperoni pizza cleans," with the shots neatly and evenly dispersed to every corner of the 10 ring, with no real center to the group. And I'll admit that I freaked on one of the shots and heaved it completely outside all the scoring rings. Score was "90 the hard way" as they say on that target. I also leaked a low 9 on another string. Oh well, gotta work on me for that sitting position. But at least the ammo did its part.

Spent brass showed no signs whatsoever of loose primers, or neck-splits, or "incipient case-head separations"

Other than dumping powder, and stuffing a bullet, the only additional processing I performed on the processed brass was a quick zip-zip in the Gracey case trimmer to remove the burr on the case mouth.

I will definitely send more brass to Blue Ridge Brass to be processed.

I sure wish I could enlist them to de-burr the case mouths. The trim-to-length was spot on. But the burr on the case mouths had to go before I loaded it. I'll be 60 on my next birthday. My wrists and hands are feeling their age from my advetures and avocations from my younger days. Working those burrs on the case mouths takes its toll when you're dealing with thousands of pieces of brass. At least Blue Ridge Brass saves me the wear and tear of sizing and gross-triming, and cleaning. Worth every penny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top