Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2024 12:35:03 PM EDT
I posted this in GD, but someone recommended I post it here too (didn't realize there is a KAC forum).

I had a couple blown primers with quality ammo (IMI 69gr HPBT Match SMK OTM Razor Core) in my SR-15 Mod 2. I stopped using the rifle the rest of the day. I had used the same batch of ammo in 2 other ARs that day without issue.

After inspecting it I found that one of the gas rings had sheared a bit and would not hold the weight of the carrier. Obviously I swapped on new rings.

All that said would the inappropriate gassing cause the blown primers? If yes, what else do I need to inspect for damage before using again? Or am I completely off base and need education on what happened?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
My 16" SR15 hates powerful loads like 77gr.

I sent it in to KAC and they said the following:

I also saw two other SR15s punch primers with Black Hills 77gr at competition
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
My 16" SR15 hates powerful loads like 77gr.

I sent it in to KAC and they said the following:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425212/Screenshot_20240306_115033_Gmail-3150972.jpg

I also saw two other SR15s punch primers with Black Hills 77gr at competition
View Quote

@WhiskersTheCat

Thank you. I just ordered a go/no-go headspace kit. I'm going to see what that tells me before I go to KAC. Much obliged.

p.s. since I have your attention, just thought you would like to know I now own 3 Staccatos and an Atlas Titan RDS because you talked about how 2011's make you a better shooter. I are correct, lol.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks more like a dropped primer then a blown primer to me, as in I don't see primer pocket expansion, at least from what I can see from my phone...

If it isn't expanding, try and compare similar loads with crimped versus non crimped primer pockets.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
That looks more like a dropped primer then a blown primer to me, as in I don't see primer pocket expansion, at least from what I can see from my phone...

If it isn't expanding, try and compare similar loads with crimped versus non crimped primer pockets.
View Quote

I've never heard of a dropped primer. I'll do some research.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HBIII:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Black Hills uses the term, see if the primer fits back in the pocket, that will tell you real quick.

It's long been accepted that a primer popping out of a case when a round is fired is an absolute indication of high pressure. This is usually referred to as "blown" primer. However, it can also occur because a gas-operated, semi-automatic rifle is not properly timed. In other words, the bolt unlocks before the case releases its hold on the chamber, and the primer pops out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Black Hills uses the term, see if the primer fits back in the pocket, that will tell you real quick.

View Quote

So the sheared gas ring could have caused it?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
"Dropped primer" is the term used for that. Punching/piercing a primer is something different.
It's not a headspace issue, as that has pretty much nothing to do with anything that would cause a dropped primer.
Leading cause of dropped primers is high pressure with insufficient staking of the primer.
KAC uses a 5.56 NATO chamber and throat. It is possible for carbon and copper fouling in the throat to increase pressure and contribute to dropped primers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Test some different ammo in the SR-15 and see if it is stripping/popping the primers. If it is only happening with the one load, then it's probably not the gun. If it happens with all of them, then it might be the gun.
Trial and error is really all you can do to troubleshoot without a more thorough evaluation. To be fair, it could happen on that one load only AND be the fault of the gun - but yeah, trial and error for now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]

@WhiskersTheCat

Thank you. I just ordered a go/no-go headspace kit. I'm going to see what that tells me before I go to KAC. Much obliged.

p.s. since I have your attention, just thought you would like to know I now own 3 Staccatos and an Atlas Titan RDS because you talked about how 2011's make you a better shooter. I are correct, lol.
View Quote

2011s are just cheating
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jack_L:
"Dropped primer" is the term used for that. Punching/piercing a primer is something different.
It's not a headspace issue, as that has pretty much nothing to do with anything that would cause a dropped primer.
Leading cause of dropped primers is high pressure with insufficient staking of the primer.
KAC uses a 5.56 NATO chamber and throat. It is possible for carbon and copper fouling in the throat to increase pressure and contribute to dropped primers.
View Quote

This is who you want to listen to, OP
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Have had something happen with my cqb mod 1, but with admittedly shitty zsr ammo.  Also had an apparent issue where something like a mini oob detonation happened.  Noticed nothing really different during shooting, but noticed one of my cases was bulged towards the back of the case along with a blown-out primer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Had that happen with a lot of CBC 77.  

CBC replaced it due to it being a known issue.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_L:

I had been leaning toward it being ammo related. I'll give the chamber and throat a good cleaning to remove that possibility.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Passed the go / no-go gauges...
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coal-cracker] [#15]
Had similar occurrence with AAC 77gr.
Contacted PSA and returned the ammo. I heard similar reports from other users. Bad batch maybe?
No issues with Razorcore 77gr through over 1000 rounds. No issues with any other ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top