Link Posted: 11/10/2017 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Mad Minute Series: Lee-Enfield No.4
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:07:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Mad Minute Series: Mauser Kar98k
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I rather like that guy. Maybe goes a little longer than he needs to, but worth the watch.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Mad Minute Series: Swiss K31 Straight Pull
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
A few of the rifle club shoots I attend have historically themed meetings

THE best ones to take part in are the Mad Minute (my personal best was 26 rounds...with a borrowed SMLE) & the McQueen
We sometimes do informal Mad Minutes for a laugh at the local clubs
The Lee Enfield action was built for such speed...when you are in the zone with it, it's something else...THEN one clip jams & you split your thumb open & that's it, done!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Neat.  Wish he was a member here.

Swiss & Brit rifle 30% faster than the Mauser, in his estimation, and the Garand 30% faster than them.  I've always wondered, however, how much faster a SMLE would be w/ enough proper magazines, already loaded.  And there's no reason 20 round mags couldn't have been made for it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I am totally convinced you can be a lot faster just using your normal trigger finger to pull the trigger then trying to mess around with your other fingers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I am totally convinced you can be a lot faster just using your normal trigger finger to pull the trigger then trying to mess around with your other fingers.
View Quote
 Post up a video then.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am totally convinced you can be a lot faster just using your normal trigger finger to pull the trigger then trying to mess around with your other fingers.
View Quote
*lols in Norwegian*

This guy is one of the best damn bolt gunners ever.

Stangskyting - John Olav Ågotnes
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The M1 Garand preview is on the Facebook page. The bullet sprayer rekt the manuals in speed and accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I always seem to mash my palm when doing it with any of my Enfields....
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The M1 Garand preview is on the Facebook page. The bullet sprayer rekt the manuals in speed and accuracy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:47:22 AM EDT
[#14]
If I had enough chargers I would try this with my Ross and my no.1 mk3 to see which was faster
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I would bet on the Ross.  Then try repeated applications of mud, and repeated cleanings of the disassembled bolt in the dark, then I would bet on the SMLE.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would bet on the Ross.  Then try repeated applications of mud, and repeated cleanings of the disassembled bolt in the dark, then I would bet on the SMLE.
View Quote
I would have too until I got it, the throw is surprisingly stiff compared to bolt actions or even my K31. The pull to get it camming is what is stiff, after that rest of the pull and slapping back into battery is smooth and fast.

Old rifles are fun even with their foibles
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#17]
He demonstrated an advantage of the 5.56 on that second clip. He didn't get his position and that big .30 walked all over the target as a result.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Post up a video then.
View Quote
No need because you can plainly see how awkward and slow people are going for the trigger in these videos.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  No need because you can plainly see how awkward and slow people are going for the trigger in these videos.
View Quote
Since you clearly didn't watch Brony's post, I'll post it again.  Awkward and slow this fellas is, you sure?

Stangskyting - John Olav Ågotnes
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#20]
A bit of a derail, but I'll add my attempted hybrid grip.

Ruger American Rimfire Stangskyting

And that while attaining a conventional grip, these guys are aiming and squeezing.

2015 05 30 Mad minute Challenge
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Since you clearly didn't watch Brony's post, I'll post it again.  Awkward and slow this fellas is, you sure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUGUwZcOsw
View Quote
I did.  Sure maybe some can shoot better that way.  It appears those guys have put in a lot of time to train themselves to do that and the ergonomics of the rifle probably support it better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I did.  Sure maybe some can shoot better that way.  It appears those guys have put in a lot of time to train themselves to do that and the ergonomics of the rifle probably support it better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUGUwZcOsw
With the SMLE (and pretty much all of the Lee-Enfield family), the placement of the bolt knob relative to the trigger also makes it really easy. I know you won't believe it, but I've found it to be more conducive to rapid firing than releasing the stock, grasping the bolt, cycling, releasing the bolt, re-grasping the stock, getting on the trigger, and breaking another shot.
The P14 and M1917 are almost as easy.
Just keep the bolt knob in between your thumb and forefinger, only putting the ring and pinky fingers onto the grip area of the stock, and your middle finger will nearly find the trigger without thinking about it. Just continue the downward roll of your hand from closing the bolt and there you go.
It's less overall hand movement (and therefore less time spent moving around) than the conventional method and using the first finger. Quite quick, and I found that I only needed to try it a couple times in dry-fire to start getting the hang of it. And that was even though I went into the concept thinking "yeah, right, this is just going to be awkward as all hell, but I'll give it a try to make sure."
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the Swiss actually have done poorly on small arms selection over the last century...

My BIL ran what numbers and conversions he could to figure out how much the K31 cost originally. He came up with like $2k (today's USD equiv) each or something like that.

Anyone have better numbers on K31 cost?

I did the same for the M1 Garand and came up with like $1200 before the war, and down to under $500 during the war.

The US adopted the M1 in the 1930's, yet the Swiss were still making the K31's into the mid/late 1950's....

I think what's well demo'd here is the Swiss should have switched.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Dunno dude, ain't nobody fucked w/ em for more than 100 years, a lot of countries wish they could say the same.  The Swiss also issued the weapon for a lifetime to a single soldier, and we're buying them in good shape, so pretty low amortization cost, plus they got something for them in some cases more than 100 years after they were originally issued.  I have a legal antique 96/11.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think the Swiss actually have done poorly on small arms selection over the last century...

My BIL ran what numbers and conversions he could to figure out how much the K31 cost originally. He came up with like $2k (today's USD equiv) each or something like that.

Anyone have better numbers on K31 cost?

I did the same for the M1 Garand and came up with like $1200 before the war, and down to under $500 during the war.

The US adopted the M1 in the 1930's, yet the Swiss were still making the K31's into the mid/late 1950's....

I think what's well demo'd here is the Swiss should have switched.
View Quote
The M1 itself might have even been obsolete as soon as the MP43/MP44/STG44 appeared.  The British are more guilty of being too slow to switch I think.  They had units still using the Lee Enfield in Korea, and they probably suffered additional casualties because of it, e.g. the Battle of the Imjin River.

Switzerland is an excellent country.  Great militia system.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks OP for the heads up, I had never seen Bloke on the Range before.

The disposable waxed card-board Swiss clips were probably state of the art in 1931 but they bend, flex and are just a pain in the ass.  At the start of that video Bloke slides a mag smooth as butter into the bottom of the action, then the first clip reload from the top of the action was a mess, lol.  The Swiss should have invested in mags, I purchased a couple of extra K31 mags and they make for a far easier reload.

Some stripper clips suck less than others.  I've found the stainless-steel 6.5mm Swedish Mauser stripper clips to be far superior to what we fielded in the 1903 series of rifles for 5 decades and the 30-06 rounds work great in those clips.

The Garand is just a sublime firearm, what a pleasure to shoot, think of the GI lives that gun saved...  And I gotta say Bloke on the Range reloaded that Garand like a boss, well done IMO.  I have no experience with the SMLE but that action just looks slick, cool gun.

"La Place de la Concorde Suisse"  by John McPhee is a good read about the Swiss military and its place in Swiss society, for any interested.

Regards,
Hking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top