Originally Posted By home_alone1:

That's nice , who made it ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks

Ron Luckenbill out of Emporium, Pa.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]

So I went out to the mailbox and found Hatchet Jack dead and froze.......

In other words its a 50 Cal Hawken gun.....

Built in 1988 by someone named D. Wheeler, from I think Vermont, The barrel is by Quaglino. L&R lock, made to look like it left the Hawken Shop as a flint and was converted to Percussion.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:06:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ztug] [#4]

Nothing special but it was given to me for my birthday many years ago by my crew. I don't shoot it often but I just like it
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Investarms .50 caliber.  My first BP gun.  
" />
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:26:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc2129] [#6]
.36 cal. I got from Cabela's bargain bin.  

</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Some more flintlock love.

G93R4916 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up this ole girl to keep the PH Enfield company.

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Spanish made .50 Cal Hawken Rifle
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mech4matsnova] [#11]
1853 Armi-Sport P1853 Enfield
1861/Tower Victoria Regina Crown(Original)
Defarbed
</a>" />

Lock plate detail:

</a>" />
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#12]
So I grew up watching cowboy movies with my dad and developed a love of all things "old west".  I own several single action revolvers and lever action rifles but one of the things that I have always loved from the old west was the cavalry.  Obviously one of the most popular rifles among the cavalry was the Sharps carbine and I wanted one very badly but the costs were insanely high for an original (I don't really care for foreign made replicas) so I found this as an alternative.  The Springfield "Trapdoor" while not a Sharps, shares a similar design style and history so it made perfect sense.  After buying mine I learned more about the Springfield's history and found it just as interesting as the Sharps plus I learned that the cavalry in real life was far more likely to have a Springfield than a Sharps.  While I still want a Sharps I love the history of my gun as well as the enjoyment from shooting it.

She's an authentic 1873 Springfield "Trapdoor" .45-70 Govt. carbine that started life out as a rifle but according to those who who have inspected it was likely professionally converted or "cut down" to a carbine in the 1800's.  The workmanship of the conversation was excellent which means whoever owned it at the time was a very skilled gunsmith or someone wealthy enough to pay good money to have it done in an era where most folks just cut them down with no real thought to making them look like a factory carbine.  I would love to know the things this rifle has seen, every time I hold it and shoot it I can feel the history.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Newest one.  Free from my brother's neighbor.
CVA Missouri
" />
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#15]

I've never had black powder guns and now I bought three in one day haha Friend needed some money so I obliged.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PSYWAR1-0:
<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/montourseth/media/IMG_1150_zps82ae6153.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/montourseth/IMG_1150_zps82ae6153.jpg</a>
So I went out to the mailbox and found Hatchet Jack dead and froze.......

In other words its a 50 Cal Hawken gun.....

Built in 1988 by someone named D. Wheeler, from I think Vermont, The barrel is by Quaglino. L&R lock, made to look like it left the Hawken Shop as a flint and was converted to Percussion.

View Quote

that Hawken is beautiful
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#19]

That is amazing, can you post the story behind it? I suspect you've researched it already
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Brandi:

That is amazing, can you post the story behind it? I suspect you've researched it already
View All Quotes

This.  Please Sir.  

What's the date on the lockplate?  Which model Sea Service?  I'm trying to find a plater so I can have my '77 Charleville's trigger guard and barrel bands brass plated.  I'm going for a French Fusil Mariner clone (weapon of Napoleon era French Marines) since nobody makes a copy anymore.

Have you considered hanging it above the painting?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice.

Capt. Digby was fuckin crazy.  I actually just read an article in Guns Magazine Surplus Edition(Spring/Summer 2013) about the Sea Service weapons of Trafalgar.   The two featured were the P1778 Sea Service Bess and the Fusil de Marine An IX.  The article also explains how Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson was killed by a French Marine from the mizzentops while commanding HMS Victory engaged with HMFS Redoubtable.  What a helluva fight that was.  

Thanks for sharing the story.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
1851 / 1858 Uberti respectfully.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

The inside of the lockplate has a crown above a 2 which I believe indicates 1802.

The barrel is engraved HMS Africa which has an interesting history:

HMS Africa during the battle of Trafalgar (1805):

"Nelson ordered his signal officer, Lieutenant Pasco to make this final signal of the day. On the night of the 20th October, HMS Africa, the smallest capital ship in the fleet, under the command of Capt Henry Digby, had drifted away from the rest of Nelson's fleet. As dawn broke on the morning of the battle, she found herself unsupported to the north of the Franco-Spanish fleet. Nelson signalled the Africa to increase speed and rejoin the fleet so she was signalled to make more sail with care for her masts and rigging and rejoin the rest of the fleet. Digby apparently decided to ignore the signal, and take on the whole enemy fleet single-handedly.

While Nelson and Collingwood sailed their two columns of vessels in from the East towards the northward-sailing enemy line of battle, Africa attacked alone from the North, sailing straight along the enemy's line of battle, swapping broadsides with one vessel after another (all of which had much heavier armament). Africa passed abeam of around a dozen enemy vessels before attempting to grapple with, and board, the Santissima Trinidad, a Spanish 130-gun ship, thought to be the largest warship in the world at the time.

This boarding manoeuvre was unsuccessful, with the Spanish captain politely refusing to surrender and ordering the British sailors off his ship, and the Africa continued southwards. She was eventually so heavily damaged that nine days later she was towed into Gibraltar for a minimum of repairs before sailing back to England, not getting home until early December."

HMS Africa during the War of 1812:

HMS Africa was one of only two Ships of the Line stationed near the US during the early part of the war.

With the outbreak of the War of 1812 HMS Africa under the command of Captain John Bastard was sent to join Captain Philip Broke's squadron in July 1812, and was present at the capture of the 14-gun USS Nautilus on 15 July. The British squadron, consisting of Africa, Broke's 38-gun HMS Shannon, the 38-gun HMS Guerriere under Captain James Richard Dacres, the 36-gun HMS Belvidera under Captain Richard Byron and the 32-gun HMS Aeolus under Captain Lord James Townshend, had arrived off New York in search of USS President, then under Commodore John Rodgers, but she had already sailed. Instead they found the USS Nautilus, under William M. Crane, which failed to outrun the British squadron and surrendered, becoming the first warship either side lost during the war. Shortly afterwards the squadron fell in with USS Constitution and chased her for three days, with the American ship resorting to throwing her water and stores overboard, and having the ship towed and kedged, before she finally managed to escape:

"War was declared on 18 June and USS Constitution put to sea on 12 July, attempting to join the five ships of a squadron under the command of Rodgers in President. Hull sighted five ships off Egg Harbor, New Jersey, on 17 July and at first believed them to be Rodgers' squadron, but by the following morning the lookouts determined that they were a British squadron out of Halifax: HMS Aeolus, Africa, Belvidera, Guerriere, and Shannon. They had sighted Constitution and were giving chase.

Finding himself becalmed, Hull acted on a suggestion given by Charles Morris, ordering the crew to put boats over the side to tow the ship out of range, using kedge anchors to draw the ship forward, and wetting the sails down to take advantage of every breath of wind. The British ships soon imitated the tactic of kedging and remained in pursuit. The resulting 57 hour chase in the July heat saw the crew of Constitution employ myriad methods to outrun the squadron, finally pumping overboard 2,300 US gal (8.7 kl) of drinking water. Cannon fire was exchanged several times, though the British attempts fell short or over their mark, including an attempted broadside from Belvidera. On 19 July Constitution pulled far enough ahead of the British that they abandoned the pursuit.

On July 15th 1812 HMS Africa along with two smaller frigates (HMS Shannon and HMS Aeolus) captured the brigantine USS Nautilus. Africa also captured two other (non US Navy) ships, the Minerva and the Eastern Star.

HMS Africa was also the location in October 1812 of the court-martial of James Dacres, Captain of HMS Guerriere who lost his ship in a battle with USS Constitution.

I plan on hanging it above the fireplace or in my office, not sure which.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MarkNH:
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:

This.  Please Sir.  

What's the date on the lockplate?  Which model Sea Service?  I'm trying to find a plater so I can have my '77 Charleville's trigger guard and barrel bands brass plated.  I'm going for a French Fusil Mariner clone (weapon of Napoleon era French Marines) since nobody makes a copy anymore.

Have you considered hanging it above the painting?

The inside of the lockplate has a crown above a 2 which I believe indicates 1802.

The barrel is engraved HMS Africa which has an interesting history:

HMS Africa during the battle of Trafalgar (1805):

"Nelson ordered his signal officer, Lieutenant Pasco to make this final signal of the day. On the night of the 20th October, HMS Africa, the smallest capital ship in the fleet, under the command of Capt Henry Digby, had drifted away from the rest of Nelson's fleet. As dawn broke on the morning of the battle, she found herself unsupported to the north of the Franco-Spanish fleet. Nelson signalled the Africa to increase speed and rejoin the fleet so she was signalled to make more sail with care for her masts and rigging and rejoin the rest of the fleet. Digby apparently decided to ignore the signal, and take on the whole enemy fleet single-handedly.

While Nelson and Collingwood sailed their two columns of vessels in from the East towards the northward-sailing enemy line of battle, Africa attacked alone from the North, sailing straight along the enemy's line of battle, swapping broadsides with one vessel after another (all of which had much heavier armament). Africa passed abeam of around a dozen enemy vessels before attempting to grapple with, and board, the Santissima Trinidad, a Spanish 130-gun ship, thought to be the largest warship in the world at the time.

This boarding manoeuvre was unsuccessful, with the Spanish captain politely refusing to surrender and ordering the British sailors off his ship, and the Africa continued southwards. She was eventually so heavily damaged that nine days later she was towed into Gibraltar for a minimum of repairs before sailing back to England, not getting home until early December."

HMS Africa during the War of 1812:

HMS Africa was one of only two Ships of the Line stationed near the US during the early part of the war.

With the outbreak of the War of 1812 HMS Africa under the command of Captain John Bastard was sent to join Captain Philip Broke's squadron in July 1812, and was present at the capture of the 14-gun USS Nautilus on 15 July. The British squadron, consisting of Africa, Broke's 38-gun HMS Shannon, the 38-gun HMS Guerriere under Captain James Richard Dacres, the 36-gun HMS Belvidera under Captain Richard Byron and the 32-gun HMS Aeolus under Captain Lord James Townshend, had arrived off New York in search of USS President, then under Commodore John Rodgers, but she had already sailed. Instead they found the USS Nautilus, under William M. Crane, which failed to outrun the British squadron and surrendered, becoming the first warship either side lost during the war. Shortly afterwards the squadron fell in with USS Constitution and chased her for three days, with the American ship resorting to throwing her water and stores overboard, and having the ship towed and kedged, before she finally managed to escape:

"War was declared on 18 June and USS Constitution put to sea on 12 July, attempting to join the five ships of a squadron under the command of Rodgers in President. Hull sighted five ships off Egg Harbor, New Jersey, on 17 July and at first believed them to be Rodgers' squadron, but by the following morning the lookouts determined that they were a British squadron out of Halifax: HMS Aeolus, Africa, Belvidera, Guerriere, and Shannon. They had sighted Constitution and were giving chase.

Finding himself becalmed, Hull acted on a suggestion given by Charles Morris, ordering the crew to put boats over the side to tow the ship out of range, using kedge anchors to draw the ship forward, and wetting the sails down to take advantage of every breath of wind. The British ships soon imitated the tactic of kedging and remained in pursuit. The resulting 57 hour chase in the July heat saw the crew of Constitution employ myriad methods to outrun the squadron, finally pumping overboard 2,300 US gal (8.7 kl) of drinking water. Cannon fire was exchanged several times, though the British attempts fell short or over their mark, including an attempted broadside from Belvidera. On 19 July Constitution pulled far enough ahead of the British that they abandoned the pursuit.

On July 15th 1812 HMS Africa along with two smaller frigates (HMS Shannon and HMS Aeolus) captured the brigantine USS Nautilus. Africa also captured two other (non US Navy) ships, the Minerva and the Eastern Star.

HMS Africa was also the location in October 1812 of the court-martial of James Dacres, Captain of HMS Guerriere who lost his ship in a battle with USS Constitution.

I plan on hanging it above the fireplace or in my office, not sure which.

Very awesome! Thanks for the story.  What a great display piece.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BeatnikFink:
<a href="http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/BeatnikFink/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11-01194657_zps34cbac46.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j393/BeatnikFink/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11-01194657_zps34cbac46.jpg</a>

I've never had black powder guns and now I bought three in one day haha Friend needed some money so I obliged.
View Quote

Nice......I've always wanted a Rogers and Spencer......
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#27]
look at the mirror towards the left at downward angle
is that a vapor trail for the ball

funny as the wad is barely making its way out of the barrel, I would think the ball would be right behind it

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FriendlyRam:
look at the mirror towards the left at downward angle
is that a vapor trail for the ball

funny as the wad is barely making its way out of the barrel, I would think the ball would be right behind it

http://i57.tinypic.com/nqu43q.png
View Quote

Cool pic! Remote camera I assume.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 1_Snipes:
View Quote

Is that an actual arrowhead mounted into the stock?...... nice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1_Snipes] [#36]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:

Actually it's a piece of whitetail antler shaped like an arrowhead,I also carved a deer hoof print in it.
Don't know why just seemed cool.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Yes, thank you. You may remember this one. It was practice for the flintlock:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/CoSnipe/63B93444-373B-4DF9-8873-FDB9DAC0ED21_zpseas5qwvd.jpg
View All Quotes

Ack!!! I wish you would stop posting that pic, it sends me into uncontrollable fits of jealousy!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#41]
My new smoke pole.  Miroku with authentic lockplate, hammer, bands and other de-farb work.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GIJoe:
My new smoke pole.  Miroku with authentic lockplate, hammer, bands and other de-farb work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/CobraChief/306ee619-5108-449d-ba69-a6e562ded7a8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/CobraChief/e00d1ad2-56bd-49d7-a002-43c7b43d1f22.jpg
View Quote

That's nice, I like the idea of swapping authentic parts onto it.  I have an authentic 1873 carbine (was cut to match a factory carbine in the late 1800's) that I absolutely love and shoots great but I hope to buy a modern clone someday so I can shoot modern ammo without damaging it.  An 1873 Springfield carbine and a Sharps carbine would do me just fine
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Just finished engraving this one for my father

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:08:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you. My father had this kit since the mid 80's and finally got around to assembling it.Its an ASM/CVA 1861 navy .44 brass frame. But actually its a 1860 Army .44 with a brass frame. Dont know why they called it an 1861 navy but non the less. Metal in this gun was a mess of hard and soft spots,both brass and steel. But it worked out.Most of the designs were from original colts and some from a few newer revolvers. Not really copied but slightly altered. The wolfs head was inspired from a SAA and i had to make the design work for the 1860 thin/long hammer.

You engrave too?? That is absolutely beautiful!!! I love the whole thing but the wolf's head in the hammer is a really great touch.  I absolutely love looking at your work but I hate how jealous it makes me lol.  Seriously, absolutely amazing. Gorgeous!
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:58:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Thank you. My father had this kit since the mid 80's and finally got around to assembling it.Its an ASM/CVA 1861 navy .44 brass frame. But actually its a 1860 Army .44 with a brass frame. Dont know why they called it an 1861 navy but non the less. Metal in this gun was a mess of hard and soft spots,both brass and steel. But it worked out.Most of the designs were from original colts and some from a few newer revolvers. Not really copied but slightly altered. The wolfs head was inspired from a SAA and i had to make the design work for the 1860 thin/long hammer.

View All Quotes

They called it a Navy because it uses the Navy grip, not the Army style. So far as I know, nothing else about the gun warrants being called a Navy. More importantly, nice work!

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Redleg:

They called it a Navy because it uses the Navy grip, not the Army style. So far as I know, nothing else about the gun warrants being called a Navy. More importantly, nice work!

Cpt. Redleg
View All Quotes

Cpt. Redleg

"Navy" denotes caliber, being .36.  44 was the standard "Army" caliber.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Cpt. Redleg

this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#49]
Just got me this matching pair of Hawkins (from 1976, mint).

Pair of Matching Hawkings from 1976 - George Washington Flintlocks.
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

B&W Dramatic.

Hawkins George Washington Flintlock
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Just got me this matching pair of Hawkins (from 1976, mint).

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/soQBLf" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7756/17323724562_070d6d0da8_h.jpg</a>
Pair of Matching Hawkings from 1976 - George Washington Flintlocks.
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

B&W Dramatic.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/s7uyyY" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8740/17138747640_162f14d556_h.jpg</a>
Hawkins George Washington Flintlock
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

View Quote

VERY cool!  You are set up for dueling now!
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top