Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2024 10:43:48 AM EDT
Hey folks, I'm building a house with a steel reinforced concrete safe room.  It has a pair of vault doors -- one that exits into the mudroom, and another that exits into my home office, behind a "secret" panel in the bookcase.

The vault doors I got came with LaGard locks, but they're just your standard run-of-the-mill electronic keypad variety.  I was thinking about upgrading the door to my office with a biometric lock, like the Securam ScanLogic.  I have a Securam fingerprint scanner deadbolt in our current home and it actually works really well.

Is the ScanLogic the best option for a safe door biometric lock retrofit?  Or are there better options out there?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:49:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gamboolman] [#1]
Safe  Room ...  I'm just jealous

Now that  I'm  retired, ms gamboolgal  and  I have talked about  if we build our last home that  we would build a  Safe Room  and/or  make  the Bedroom a Safe Room.  Growing up East Tx,  and  in our experience all along  the Gulf  Coast the dam tornadoes and hurricanes  hit  in  the  night  many times.

Not  to sidetrack your thread, but can  you  give a  approximate  cost or incremental cost/%  for  the fully designed  and finished Safe Room?  Maybe increment  cost per Sq Ft  ?  

As to locks - I'm interested in  the Scan  Logics - and  will investigate.  But we're  really shy  about  electronics and power and  being  defeated by the  8 year  old kid hacker  next  door....who also has  to help us with our  Smart Phones  and the TV Remote
But we're Boomers,  so  there's that...

We use old fashioned  mechanical dial locks on our big Gun Safes and we  have Simplex  locks on our Pistol  Cases.

" />
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gamboolman:
Not  to sidetrack your thread, but can  you  give a  approximate  cost or incremental cost/%  for  the fully designed  and finished Safe Room?  Maybe increment  cost per Sq Ft  ?
View Quote

My room is only about 12'x12'x9'H.  It added somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k to the cost of the foundation, and the doors were about another $15k total.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you  LFOD1776,

That's perfect and will be very useful  for us  to estimate the budget  with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top