Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 9:11:49 AM EDT
Is there more data out there for rugers? I was loading 175gr sps at 2500fps but now looking at 150gr info it looks like its only for old mausers. Im not looking for magnum performance but Id be happy with 2600-2700fps with either varget or win 748
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You're not going to find published data you are looking for in 7x57. Too much fear of liability if someone pierces a primer in their old m93 Mauser. Just work up your own load keeping an eye out for signs of pressure. In modern rifles, 7x57 and 6.5x55 are both way more capable than published data would suggest.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Look in an older Speer manual.  That might be where you got your hot 175 grain recipie.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look in an older Speer manual.  That might be where you got your hot 175 grain recipie.
View Quote

It's in a few. I originally tried it because Boddington wrote about it.

I probably started loading that load when I was 14 or 15.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Hodgdon online has plenty of data for 7x57mm.

Do you have the manual published by your specific bullet's manufacturer?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hodgdon online has plenty of data for 7x57mm.

Do you have the manual published by your specific bullet's manufacturer?
View Quote

I know. I posted a screen shot of their site. By plenty of data do you mean for old 93 mausers? Because topping out at 2400fps with a 150gr bullet isn't plenty.

I have books by nearly every bullet and powder manufacturers from 2000. The 250 150gr bullets I just ordered are pulls so Im unsure of the brand.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
That's weird looking data.

I shoot 140grs w 48gr H414.  2800fps.  Win m70
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
You didn’t specify which Ruger,but if you’re shooting a #1,Hodgdon had load data for them back in the mid eighties. I have a manual with loads 3-5 grains hotter than the Mauser safe loads. A Ruger bolt won’t be a strong as the #1,but is obviously stronger than the 93 Mausers. I used the data to take my#1 to 280 velocities and found an accurate load ,but it beat me up pretty good in the light rifle. Nosler,I believe, has data for modern rifles,that should be safe in a Ruger bolt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You didn’t specify which Ruger,but if you’re shooting a #1,Hodgdon had load data for them back in the mid eighties. I have a manual with loads 3-5 grains hotter than the Mauser safe loads. A Ruger bolt won’t be a strong as the #1,but is obviously stronger than the 93 Mausers. I used the data to take my#1 to 280 velocities and found an accurate load ,but it beat me up pretty good in the light rifle. Nosler,I believe, has data for modern rifles,that should be safe in a Ruger bolt.
View Quote

Its for a m77mk2. Ive used nosler data before and would be perfectly happy to keep using 4350 but thats not going to happen anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Winchester M70 in 7x57mm but am ashamed to say I have never fired it. Have a bunch of components in stock too. I purchased 120 and 130 grain bullets from Sierra mostly. Maybe some Nosler.

This rifle is gorgeous and came bedded from the factory at the recoil lug. It's currently disassembled and being thoroughly cleaned prior to it's first high pressure event.

This caliber and 8mm Mauser are well over 120 years old and still are all most people would ever need. Manufacturers keep reinventing the wheel hoping to pique interest in something newly developed, I like old standards myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top