Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2018 10:36:40 PM EDT
Will be cerakoting my Glock 19 in a couple weeks. I’ve cerakoted AR’s .22’s before but never a polymer pistol.

Any tips/suggestions for the lower polymer to decrease?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I did high grit sand paper then break cleaner to remove all oil then denatured alcohol to clean the rest of it up on the P320 grip I did. Was my first cerakote. Had some dry spray. Have gotten a lot better since.

Attachment Attached File

You can see the dry spray on the upper area of the dove tail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have brake cleaner too. I will blast with AlO2 around 40 PSI.

So a quick brake cleaner followed up by DA?

150 degrees or did you go up to 180 to cure?

Yours looks good!

I did a 458 SOCOM build a few years ago and dry sprayed the Leupold scope. Actually like it as it is an ultra flat tactical finish.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
150 for for two hours I think was the cure on it. Lowest setting on my oven. Probably more than likely around 270-280. Not hot enough to melt the plastic. Also did two metal AR mags at the same time. They came out good even with the lower oven temp for longer. Look on Cerakotes site for the PDF or using it on plastic it has the temp listed. I have a G20 I want do ceracoke as well just for the hell of it. I need to look at how to tear down the frame to base frame and will do it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
We soak the frame for about 10 minutes in clean acetone, then we sandblast it but I can't recall the grit. We have had good luck using Scotchbrite to rough up the frame when the sandblaster broke, so that's also an option.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We soak the frame for about 10 minutes in clean acetone, then we sandblast it but I can't recall the grit. We have had good luck using Scotchbrite to rough up the frame when the sandblaster broke, so that's also an option.
View Quote
Thanks!

Already finished pistol. In another post.

Only boo boo was my first camo job. Build it up too thick in some areas. Not the end of the world. Sand paper and polish will fix it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
120 grit aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet at about 40 PSI, stand off about 8-10" from the part and go slow to insure proper etching.

Off-gas to remove oils and such suspend in a bath of acetone for about 10 mins, but if you have ZERO way to do that you can always use a can of non chlorinated brake cleaner to get the oils off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top