Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 12:43:44 PM EDT
Is there a reccomended paint that is durable and heat won't bother for painting a ar15?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Are we talking rattle can?

Krylon and Rusto Camo seems to be pretty good, and holds up well. Of course it does wear with use, making the guns look even better, but if it bothers you, just spray on a fresh coat.

If you want permanent- Cerakote...
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Aervoe
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aervoe
View Quote
Love this stuff!
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Rustoleum and Krylon are good. I have found Aervoe to be more durable and has more color options .  At the end of the day, all with wear with use
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally I find that krylon sprays more even and is easier to work with than rustoleum.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Cerikote
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Duracoat works very well for permanent. Lots of colors. Not as heat resistant as Ceracote.
Dupli-color rattle can engine epoxy paint with ceramic works. Not nearly as durable as "Dura" or "Cera".
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Best coating application finish for firearms is probably Cerakote.  It is the most durable but also takes the most skill to apply.

KG Gunkote would be my second choice. Most durable after Cera, takes skill but not quite as much as Cera.

KG Gunkote, air-cured.  Same durability as the heat-cured, with the convenience of air-cure.

Duracoat is next.  It is more durable than all the rattle cans, but not as good as Cera or KG.  But much easier to apply since it is air-cured.  But must be mixed with hardener which can waste material.

Brownells Alumahyde gets the next place in my book.  One of the most durable rattle cans; air cured; easy to apply.

Aervoe rattle cans.  Good durability for a rattle can; good colors.

All the rest.  Pretty much any rattle can.  Easy, cheap to apply.  Poor durability.  But good field expedients.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Diz, you forgot to mention Norrell's moly resin, on par if not better than KG.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah you're right; although I give KG a slight there.  But also the new Cera air cure as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top