Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2023 10:17:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b]
What would be the best factory ammo choice for a 13in scar 17?

I’ve killed plenty of deer using the 165gr SST superformance out of the 16in barrel.

I was thinking of trying the 150gr SST or gold dot for the 13in barrel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My thought.  What is the most accurate out of the ammo you have on hand?  Use that and call it a day!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged for interest. Been buying some 110grn Hornady TAP Urban for a shorter .308, I keep reading that lighter loads are the way to go. Wish I could get a good stock of the Mlk319 SOST.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I would try a bunch of different loads and find out which one works best in your 13" SCAR 17. Bonded ammo of any kind, loaded with primers designed for use in semi automatic rifles, will probably be your best bet.

Of course, with the SCAR 17, the barrels are all 1/12 twist. This means it will stabilize lighter bullets better. I find 168 gr Sierra match kings (federal) works best in my rifle compared to 175 gr SMKs at distance.

I have only tried Hornady A-MAX 155s and not some of the newer bonded bullets, as I do not hunt. For defensive use, I have a mix of A-Max rounds and the new Federal Fusion MSR loads. I have yet to get out to a 100 yard range to test the accuracy of the new Federal bonded loads in my 16" SCAR-17 (on my long list of to do items). The A-Max loads definitely are not as accurate as the 168 gr Federal Gold Match rounds, but it's a battle rifle of course.

Regardless, I think you'll be fine with what you currently use 200 yards in. Just test some different loads out and post a range report in a true ARFCOM fashion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top