User Panel

"Best" crimp removal (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't see many comments reference the Lyman case prep center, that's what I use. It has a reamer and uniformer tool that does a good job for me. I don't understand the comments from people that think crimp removal is too much of a pain. Its not hard or excessively time consuming.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:36:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
I think I've tried every style out there.

1) by a mile:  1050/1100 that does it natively on press.
2) super swage 600

I wouldn't consider anything else for high volume unless I simply couldn't get my hands on the above.
View Quote

I think the Lee APP does just as good a job as the Dillon super swage and is faster. I was expecting to be disappointed, but was pleasantly surprised instead.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the Super Swage with the Inline Fabrication inserts for large brass batches that are of identical headstamp.

I use a Hornady reamer chucked into a drill for small batches, oddball headstamps  or to clean up one of the very few that doesn’t gauge  as Go on the primer pocket after the Super Swage.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Have done it both ways, both have "pro's and con's, use the LEE APP currently. Have purchased countersinks
from McMaster-Carr of different angles, they work pretty good.
Have of bunch of LC-12 5.56 that is "staked / stabbed" at 3 different positions, look at it this way "one and done"

-Garland
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
These get dull quick, which is surprising, and as such has me looking at options.
View Quote
I've never heard of anyone dulling a crimp cutting/chamfer tool....especially not on a relatively soft material like brass.  I've gone through thousands upon thousands upon thousands of mil brass (5.56, 7.62, & '06) and have never had one even remotely feel like it was getting dull.

I've tried them all, none of them (to me) are any faster than a primer cutter bit on an RCBS (or similar) case prep center.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
It was mentioned previously, but I don’t understand why the Lee ram swage doesn’t get more notoriety. It works well, and is much faster than the hornady reamer and Dillon super swage. I use mine on a single stage press with a Inline Fab case kicker.

Lee ram swage, on sale
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It works well, and is much faster than the hornady reamer
View Quote
I don't see how its any faster than reaming, and definitely not "much faster".
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fair2Middlin] [#10]
Originally Posted By Jason280:

I don't see how its any faster than reaming, and definitely not "much faster".
View Quote

I’ve used all three methods, it’s the fastest for me. It’s easy on the fingers and the only work I do is setting a case on the anvil and operating the press lever. The case kicker knocks the swaged case into the bin. You can go as fast as you can smoothly operate the press.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#11]
looks like a good option!  LGS has one I may need to liberate.  Does the base push the swaged case off the post?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the 1050 use a rod to push on the inside of the shell like the super swage or does it use the rim on the shell plate?

I use mixed brass so I'm adjusting that rod to knock the crimps out on my super swage.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RWEIII:
looks like a good option!  LGS has one I may need to liberate.  Does the base push the swaged case off the post?
View Quote

The die has a spring loaded “collet” or “guide” that helps guide the case onto the rod and then pushes the case back out of the die on the upward stroke of your press handle. Then the only thing keeping the case in place is the swaging anvil and gravity, so on press my case kicker knocks it off into the bin.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been using the Dillon swager for 12 years now. It works well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trainfreaky] [#17]
I've been swaging military brass primer pockets for decades.

Reached my limit and am switching over to reaming.

Had a Dillon Super Swager for a long time - had to keep fiddling with the swager rod.  Super frustrating when it got stuck.  Sold it.

I just junked my Frankford Arsenal swager.  Initially I was ok with because the swaging force is vertical and not horizontal like the Dillon.

However, early on, the rear reset spring broke after 100 cases.  Called up FA and they couldn't/wouldn't send me a replacement.

I just bent the swage rod a few days ago.  The FA is going into the scrap bin.

My backup swager is the RCBS primer pocket combo which is press mounted.  After a few pumps, turned the swage rod into a nice "S" shape.

Thank God for the Lyman pocket reamer - got some loads down in time for weekend range trip - but my hands are sore.

Gonna go with the chucked reamer - thanks for the suggestion dryflash3
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]

I agree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I just ran into a batch of crimped WMA 9mm cases and it screwed up my reloading. I ended up sorting through that bag of brass to weed them out. Everything else was OK. I just don't find it's worth it to decrimp 9mm brass unless you end up with a big batch that you don't want to throw out.

I agree.

I had a big pile of that brass.
Used a Lyman cutter with the side flutes dulled, a vld neck reamer and these powered by the rcbs prep centre.
Either cutter would have worked but I gave each case one second with each.

I really like these cases or I wouldn't have bothered.
Winchester 9mm nato is the unfired ammo type.

For 223\556 I found the dillon super swagger not really worth the scratch.
Even the smallest flash hole burr deviated the punch lenth and it's slow.
So I use the same cutters as above for that too.

Now I am wondering if I should try the Lee app setup.
I may order that swagging kit for it.
Yeah I am bored so off to titan I go.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
You can wear a glove or place case into a sparkplug wire pliers.

https://i.imgur.com/YvHb6del.jpg

Mine looks like this, I bent the handles and added wood handles. The thin plastic handles were awful.

View Quote

That's a hot handle upgrade for those.
Great idea.

For my files I chop off a chunk of wood dowle, belt sander the ends, drill a hole and silicone it to the file tang.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:26:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cviss] [#21]
I have the rcbs made for the rock chuker had it since 1985

Its slow but never had a problem with it
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
I just ran into a batch of crimped WMA 9mm cases and it screwed up my reloading. I ended up sorting through that bag of brass to weed them out. Everything else was OK. I just don't find it's worth it to decrimp 9mm brass unless you end up with a big batch that you don't want to throw out.
View Quote

I scored a bunch of that from a LE training day, was not happy they were crimped.  Hoping I did not mix too many into my stash of brass.  What a pain.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I have used a few different products but lately have been using the Dillon 600 Super Swager.  

I like how it works, but am starting to notice that when I am sorting random decapped brass, I have difficulty telling visually whether it has already been thru the swage process or not, so I end up running it thru regardless, wasting some time as a result.  

So cutting out the crimp probably wins over swaging when it comes to being able to easily see if the crimp has been removed or not.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cviss:
I have the rcbs made for the rock chuker had it since 1985

Its slow but never had a problem with it
View Quote

That is what I used prior to the Dillon 600.  Dillon was well worth the upgrade cost.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Fair2Middlin:
It was mentioned previously, but I don’t understand why the Lee ram swage doesn’t get more notoriety. It works well, and is much faster than the hornady reamer and Dillon super swage. I use mine on a single stage press with a Inline Fab case kicker.

Lee ram swage, on sale
View Quote

How well would that work on mixed headstamp lots of brass? One of the things people don't like about the dillon is its inconsistencies when doing mixed headstamp and having to adjust it
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I use a mix of the super swage, swage-it on my 650 or a chamfer tool.

It all depends on how many of what caliber and what I have setup at that moment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a numbered drill set. I dug around til I found the right sized bit,I use that in a battery drill clamped in the vise on my loading bench. A zip tie holds the trigger back. I use a chamfer bit to break the corner.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the 1050.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
"Best" crimp removal (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top