Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 10:38:20 PM EDT
Took my shotgun to pattern for turkey season. Surprisingly the flitecontrol stuff sucked in this particular gun. 26” barrel with a fixed full choke.

What choke works best with these wads?  I have a shotgun with changeable chokes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
You could take 5 identical shotguns off an assembly line - and find each one has a different sweet spot with various loads & chokes.

When you say you are shooting "flitecontrol" what LOAD are you shooting?  Buckshot?  #6 lead bird shot, Steel T&F for waterfowl, 8's & 9's for skeet?

BIG Pellets (like Buckshot) need relatively open chokes (IC usually pretty good).  too tight a choke on (Modified or Full) buckshot tends to blow open patterns instead of close them.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I've seen other's post, full chokes don't work well with Fiite control.  Must be something to do with how the wad is shaped, and if it's squeezed too much, it loses it's good qualities.

At least modified, maybe even more open I'd say.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could take 5 identical shotguns off an assembly line - and find each one has a different sweet spot with various loads & chokes.

When you say you are shooting "flitecontrol" what LOAD are you shooting?  Buckshot?  #6 lead bird shot, Steel T&F for waterfowl, 8's & 9's for skeet?

BIG Pellets (like Buckshot) need relatively open chokes (IC usually pretty good).  too tight a choke on (Modified or Full) buckshot tends to blow open patterns instead of close them.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Turkey #6 and #5 both failed hard.  
Like I had 15 pellets in one target area.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably IC. Also try a CYL.

With FFC, you’ll likely start to lose it when tighter than a MOD, if you make it past LM.

Remember, the flightcontrol is designed to replace the choke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably IC. Also try a CYL.

With FFC, you’ll likely start to lose it when tighter than a MOD, if you make it past LM.

Remember, the flightcontrol is designed to replace the choke.
View Quote

Thanks.
I ended up getting damn good results from a regular lead load. At 30 yds I had half within a handprint.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks.
I ended up getting damn good results from a regular lead load. At 30 yds I had half within a handprint.
View Quote

seriously? I've never seen anything pattern that tight. Even my full choke guns got full 30" spreads at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

seriously? I've never seen anything pattern that tight. Even my full choke guns got full 30" spreads at 25 yards.
View Quote

Eta: honestly I never got great results from flight control either.
FC turkey loads still had a big spread at 25 yards.
FC buckshot was maybe tighter at 25 yards, but still to blown out at 50 yards to be used at that distance. At CQB distances, 10 to 15 yards it was hard to tell the difference between FC and estate buck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I think there specific chokes out there for those wads. IIRC they have small "nubs" in the tube that help delay the wad slightly. Bailey makes them I believe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I get excellent results from FC buck. It’s been a while, but like 12” at 25yds. Common buck usually does 25” ...

Never used FC in bird sizes.

If you’re getting 80% in a hand spread at 25yds, you better test that a few more times, then buy stock in that load, you found your goldilocks.

While I’m thinking about it, watch for the federal hi-bird shells. They confuse me. They don’t use a standard wad, and pattern like a normal wad with a mod, while using IC. Loaded fairly warm too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah.  It blew my mind.
I shot it three more times just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.  
Remington premium magnum.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah.  It blew my mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  It blew my mind.

I tried some of the Remington 3 inch turkey load a couple of weeks ago.  Carlson choke.  Soccer-ball size group at 25.

ETA: I just ordered some of the Fed FC 3.5 inch #5, 6, and 7 load.  Appreciate the heads up about the choke!
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’ve been chasing turkey patterns for many years.

Switched to Winchester Long Beard with Long beard choke tubes and I’m done.

I witnessed a true 62 yard kill with #4 3 1/2” Long Beards two years ago.

Amazing stuff.
View Quote

Ditto, with similar results. Shells and chokes have came a long way. Below is Winchester Long Beard XR 12ga 3” # 5 @ 40yrds with Carlson Long beard XR .660 choke. I still prefer the Primos Jelly Head on my current smoke pole. Proven results capable of hail mary shots past 60yrds.YMMV

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Federal used to recommend nothing tighter than IC for the Flight Control defensive rounds because they were designed for police guns which were either cylinder or IC.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Federal used to recommend nothing tighter than IC for the Flight Control defensive rounds because they were designed for police guns which were either cylinder or IC.
View Quote

Yup. In my testing, the less choke, the tighter patterns with flight Control. Full choke not only opens up the FC but makes the pattern inconsistent with some pellets clustered while others going to and fro.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#19]
So if I used these shells my new turkey gun may be a mossberg cruiser with a cylinder bore? I have like a case of these turkey rounds I bought a few years ago. I'll have to do more testing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So if I used these shells my new turkey gun may be a mossberg cruiser with a cylinder bore? I have like a case of these turkey rounds I bought a few years ago. I'll have to do more testing.
View Quote

The idea behind the flite control and versa tite type wads is to hold the shot pattern together in more open choke guns to give tighter patterns at longer ranges, without chokes. There are two problems that can arise from using more restrictive chokes, one is that the shot cup can be stripped prematurely from the shot by the increased drag in a choked bore (can slow velocity too). The second is shot deformation in the tightening bore that causes flyers and inconsistent patterning once the shot leaves the cup....
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ditto, with similar results. Shells and chokes have came a long way. Below is Winchester Long Beard XR 12ga 3” # 5 @ 40yrds with Carlson Long beard XR .660 choke. I still prefer the Primos Jelly Head on my current smoke pole. Proven results capable of hail mary shots past 60yrds.YMMV

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/389839/CE3BB1D0-6015-4518-8F75-3AE3C3215843_jpe-1917821.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been chasing turkey patterns for many years.

Switched to Winchester Long Beard with Long beard choke tubes and I’m done.

I witnessed a true 62 yard kill with #4 3 1/2” Long Beards two years ago.

Amazing stuff.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/389839/CE3BB1D0-6015-4518-8F75-3AE3C3215843_jpe-1917821.JPG

Agreed!  I've paired Long Beard XR + Carlson's Long Beard choke (in two separate shotguns) and have produced similar results.  My Benelli SBE and my Shockwave (had the barrel threaded for chokes) are 100% lethal on turkeys at 50 yards using Long Beard XR ammo/chokes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Well. My combo did work.  
Took an 11.5 inch beard under 20 yards.   Aimed a bit low. Neck shot.  He didn’t move at all.  Didn’t even do the funky turkey move.  Just flopped over and died right there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top