Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2022 10:11:30 PM EDT
I'm on somewhat of a budget and starting out from scratch.   I've got roughly $7K to spend and am trying to determine the best use of that budget to get the most out of it.  

I'm not looking for tier 1 stuff since I'm certainly not an operator but I'd like to be able to move around in the dark, and deal with coyotes, hogs, and any threats that go bump in the night; probably a 200yrd max.  Based on some posts here I'm looking to start with a Danmark Helmet and white phosphorus but that as much as I've determined, unless I decide to drill a pasgt to mount a shroud.

Whats hanging me up is that I don't want to buy things today that I'll end up selling at a loss later to improve my setup, I'd like something pretty well longterm functional.   Am I better off dumping most of my budget into a dual tube or bino setup,  or would it be wiser to pick up a single PVS14 and a thermal scope like a hogster to cover both bases and have some money left over?
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do a a nicely setup bump helmet and pvs14 for 4k. That leaves you with 3k for a thermal scope. I think any of the hogsters or similar can be had in that range and do good work as a hand scanner as well. There are similar models from other companies.

Don't cheap out on your helmet setup. If you're going to use this a lot having your head mount I2 as comfortable as possible is key. Get that so it's second nature and then you can use your processing power for everything else you have to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
If going with a single PVS14 setup, how difficult would it be to get a similarly spec'd PVS14 at some point in the future to make a dual tube setup?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If going with a single PVS14 setup, how difficult would it be to get a similarly spec'd PVS14 at some point in the future to make a dual tube setup?
View Quote

If you're considering dual 14s for a dual tube set up I would strongly suggest against it due to the weight. IMHO you'd be better off dropping your 14s tube into a true bino rig, finding a matching tube, then either keep the 14s body for a build later on or selling it to offset the cost of upgrading to a bino.

Also a TWS would be a great addition and fit in your budget. There are some budget options out there such as the AGM as well as Bearing Optics. Another option would be a handheld thermal scanner, buying a D2 for IR illumination and IR laser aiming out to 500 plus meters.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Tom was spot on.  I2 (traditional night vision) has many strengths as does thermal. It really comes down to each specific use-case. Talk to a dealer like TNVC/Night Goggles who works with both technologies.  I2 reigns for any type of navigation and PID while thermal reigns for detection.  In speaking with a knowledgeable company, they can help narrow down the needs and brands/models. The best bang for your buck in the thermal game tends to be Bering Optics at the moment. They are assembled and serviced in the US with a 4-year, fully transferrable warranty. They have several models that are compact that can be used as a scope and/or a scanner. Keep in mind, Bering uses super high compression in their videos to keep them very small and manageable. The view through the eyepiece is so much better. If you have some time, watch a summary of my year using a Bering Optics Phenom and Super Yoter 50 last year.

https://youtu.be/ywLKYrcZ1d0

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been planning to get something along the lines of the Hogster from Bering and the Stimulus is really tempting at that price but the resolution and refresh rate is close to being a deal breaker.  I don't have any need for video recording or output and I really wish there was a higher resolution and frame rate version of it.  Prior I had been looking at the AGM Rattler but everyone seems to recommend the BO thermals over it.

Obviously like most people I'd love to have a set of binos but it appears the days of sub $6K binos are long gone.  It seems like they'd certainly make maneuvering in the dark easier than doing it with one blind eye, but having no experience with any NV I'm just guessing at it.

I'm a big believer that some is better than none for most things in life, and that extends to the ability to conquer the night.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Obviously like most people I'd love to have a set of binos but it appears the days of sub $6K binos are long gone.  
View Quote

RNVGs can be had for under $6k. Especially with Labor Day sales coming up in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]
What style of hunting?
Driving in vehicle checking land, or utv, walking in open areas, walking in thick brush.  Sitting watching a baited area.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you're considering dual 14s for a dual tube set up I would strongly suggest against it due to the weight. IMHO you'd be better off dropping your 14s tube into a true bino rig, finding a matching tube, then either keep the 14s body for a build later on or selling it to offset the cost of upgrading to a bino.
View Quote

Some of the lightweight bridges bring the weight pretty close to sentinels. I think theres only a couple oz difference with mine. I'll say it's a tad heavier but not terrible. Depends what you're doing though. Few hours with them down is fine but all night would cause a sore neck. If I only had 7k and wasn't hunting I'd get two GP 14s with an articulating bridge over one white phos.

Since he's hunting I'd recommend thermal and a 14. Not sure about getting all that under budget though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#12]
After talking with a few people I decided to go with the PVS14 from JRH and I'm leaning towards the Super Yoter 25mm for the 640 resolution and viewing angle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After talking with a few people I decided to go with the PVS14 from JRH and I'm leaning towards the Super Yoter 25mm for the 640 resolution and viewing angle.
View Quote

Nice, that'll be a solid setup for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ordered today, shipped today. Appreciate your business, thanks again!
View Quote

Arrived today with more accessories than I expected,  thank you very much.  I'm excited for it to get dark so I can experience more than just the inside of a closet.  I. Still waiting for my helmet so I'm really happy it came with a skull crusher so I can at least enjoy the NV in the mean time and figure out what eye I prefer to use it with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Arrived today with more accessories than I expected,  thank you very much.  I'm excited for it to get dark so I can experience more than just the inside of a closet.  I. Still waiting for my helmet so I'm really happy it came with a skull crusher so I can at least enjoy the NV in the mean time and figure out what eye I prefer to use it with.
View Quote

I see no photos.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I see no photos.
View Quote

What do you want photos of?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What do you want photos of?
View Quote

You have to show off your new equipment. What’s the tube look like?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top