Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2023 10:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams]
Curious about what the resident SXS/SBS experts think would make for a good base SXS shotgun, whether a used older type or a newer model, for chopping down into a Mad-Max pistol shotgun with a proper pistol-grip.

Also, what’s your gauge preference for such a rig? 28ga, 20ga, 16ga, 12ga?

Thanks in advance?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a stoeger uplander 20 ga. It was from a buddy who did not use it anymore. I went 8" on the barrels and sorta "MAD MAX" in a smaller way.
Not finished yet but you get the idea.
" />
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cajun22:
I used a stoeger uplander 20 ga. It was from a buddy who did not use it anymore. I went 8" on the barrels and sorta "MAD MAX" in a smaller way.
Not finished yet but you get the idea.
https://i.imgur.com/OB8CkrG.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/OB8CkrG.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, I like that!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My gut would be to go Stoeger because they’re everywhere. There are nicer guns for sure but it’s all a compromise. I want a little 20ga to go with my shorty pump guns. .410 might be fun too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:01:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#4]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
My gut would be to go Stoeger because they’re everywhere. There are nicer guns for sure but it’s all a compromise. I want a little 20ga to go with my shorty pump guns. .410 might be fun too.
View Quote

On the .410ga, I've seen these advertised quite a bit. A modern version of the "Auto Burglar" shotty but without the Class 3 paperwork and stamp requirements.

GB ad here is for $1450:  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/986606585

I'm thinking by the time I bought a Stoeger 20ga somewhere, paid $200 for the BATFE stamp, then paid my local 'smith to chop the tubes to 9"-10" and fix up the grip like Cajun22's above, I'd have about the same $$$ into it, ... no?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

On the .410ga, I've seen these advertised quite a bit. A modern version of the "Auto Burglar" shotty but without the Class 3 paperwork and stamp requirements.

I'm thinking by the time I bought a Stoeger 20ga somewhere, paid $200 for the BATFE stamp, then paid my local 'smith to chop the tubes to 9"-10" and fix up the grip like Cajun22's above, I'd have about the same $$$ into it, ... no?
View Quote

It all depends on what you want and what you want it to do. The reason I don't really have desire to own what you linked is that it's not really a 410 it's a 45lc with a rifled barrel and long chamber. It's the same as the Judge pistols or the TC pistols from way back. I hate our laws and find it so frustrating that you can't have a smoothbore 410 pistol but you can if it has crappy shallow rifling.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]

It all depends on what you want and what you want it to do. The reason I don't really have desire to own what you linked is that it's not really a 410 it's a 45lc with a rifled barrel and long chamber. It's the same as the Judge pistols or the TC pistols from way back. I hate our laws and find it so frustrating that you can't have a smoothbore 410 pistol but you can if it has crappy shallow rifling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

True. A modern A/B in 20ga, with well-done forend wood and pistol grip (as on the linked 410 pistol), would be the way to go but for the NFA crap.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Curious about what the resident SXS/SBS experts think would make for a good base SXS shotgun, whether a used older type or a newer model, for chopping down into a Mad-Max pistol shotgun with a proper pistol-grip.

Thanks in advance?
View Quote

Find a used Stevens on GB, they can be had for around $300.
The only problem with the Stoegers (I’ve found) is they can be very difficult to break open.

A well used Stevens or Savage will break open much easier… and be cooler as they will likely have some “wasteland” wear to them :)

I have a couple of old double 12’s I’ve thought of SBS’ing, but would prefer a 20 for shootability.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:06:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#8]
Originally Posted By Goody454:

The only problem with the Stoegers (I’ve found) is they can be very difficult to break open.

A well used Stevens or Savage will break open much easier… and be cooler as they will likely have some “wasteland” wear to them :)

I have a couple of old double 12’s I’ve thought of SBS’ing, but would prefer a 20 for shootability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goody454:

Thanks in advance?

I agree. One of the LGSs had an old but nice 20ga Stevens dbl on the used rack a while back but it was gone before I could get back to the store.

Since I first posted I did more research on the actual Ithaca A/B dbl Guns. There were two models: a 10” model A  and later, a 12” model B. In 20ga, the Model A was chambered for 2.5” shells. The “upgraded” model B in 20ga was chambered for the then-new 2 3/4” shells. Also, the grip on the model B was slightly modified and lacked the radical spur on the backside that the model A had.

Of more interest to me were the gauges or chamberings that Ithaca made the A/Bs in: 20ga was apparently the popular standard gauge in both models; however, A/Bs were also made in 28ga, .410, and 16ga.

A few sources mentioned that one could be ordered from Ithaca in 12ga but supposedly these were extremely rare to non-existent. However one was found in an NFA collection somewhere and there are pics of this 12ga A/B taken side-by-side with a standard 20ga model. The size difference of the 12ga model in the receiver and barrels is quite apparent.  Here’s a link:

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ithaca-auto-burglar-12ga/

I can’t even imagine touching off a 12” 12-gauge A/B gun inside a bank if I were a teller being robbed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top