Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2021 1:17:06 AM EDT
Not so much a topic for what's transferable, but just general discussions on MG's.

What do you all think is the best machine gun that's every been made, for Infantry use?  I add that qualifier in, as currently I believe the US uses the M240 in both an Infantry and vehicle role.  The thing weights close to 30 pounds though, as it was made for vehicle use, and so while built like the tank it's used on, I think is too heavy for use by ground troops.

The M60's I used in the Army were heavy enough at 22 pounds.  You could pack and even shoulder fire them if you were strong, but not for very long.  

I have read up on some light weight 240's, where a good number of the rivets have been removed, and general lightening has occurred, to get the weight down to low 20's.

Personally, I found 90-98 time frame during my service time, if you had a 60 that wasn't beaten up, abused, and made in the 1970's, it would run fine, and the quick change barrel aspect was good for long range sessions.  I know other don't like them and say they're not reliable, but I think most of that is from the military buying something then keeping it way, way too long, like all the Deuce and a halfs they still were using in the 90's.

What else is out there?  Did any military ever use the HK 21 series?  It looks nice but as a built up G3, is it trying to fill a role that too demanding for anything but a ground up designed MG?

The 7.62 version of the SAW came out after I left.  On paper that looks like a good mix of firepower and portability, but what's it like in reality?  What are those called MK 48 or such?

What do the Brits and Frenchies use as their ground deployed MG?  

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
MG 42.

Bren.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What else is out there?  Did any military ever use the HK 21 series?  It looks nice but as a built up G3, is it trying to fill a role that too demanding for anything but a ground up designed MG?

What do the Brits and Frenchies use as their ground deployed MG?  

View Quote

A) Portugal used the HK21 in its colonial wars, alongside the MG-42.

B) Both Britain and France use variants of the FN MAG-58, France having replaced its aging AA-52s a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I owned a 7.62 saw k it beat the feed roller on the oprod into the Top cover and the roller kept breaking we converted it back to 556
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Naw I sold it with 53 others to the rental range in Kissimmee when i closed Thermo.   Thou i have one partaily built and 4-5 kits for when i get the itch . Im in limbo at the moment only have a saw and 60 in belt feds at the present . Feeding them is the problem
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
A very important function of the 240 and other MGs is suppressive fire. You don’t need to shoulder fire it for that function. Carrying it on the sling and shooting from the hip can be used effectively to get peoples heads down. If you need more accurate fire, prone out and go to the bipod.

My favorite was the 240. I wasn’t a huge fan of the SAW or the M60.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats why our Saw came from US MGA  as a mk48 in 308  it just beat itself up I think it was under buffered I never got to play with the 240 was after my Generation I guess
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Obviously the ma deuce is the best...

Seriously though, the question is a little too broad. I get what you're asking. But there is a reason US infantry uses 3 or 4 different belt fed MGs.

As far as always dismounted. The knight's/stoner LMG or LAMG is seriously cool and extremely lightweight.

I also am partial to the DSA RPDC in full auto. Sure it lacks the quick change barrel, but it could be developed to be a great weapon, lighter than a 249 and bigger bullets. (Though a 249 with 300blk barrel is similar)
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I like Knights LMG, unfortunately I've never gotten to use it

240's always ran well IME, but I mostly shot truck mounted.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Knights LMG, unfortunately I've never gotten to use it

240's always ran well IME, but I mostly shot truck mounted.
View Quote

Yeah most people haven't.  

240s are great mounted. But I never want to carry one, even if it's just to the helicopter across the flight line
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Polish PKM in 7.62
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]
M240L is what you seek.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
M240L is what you seek.
View Quote

Do the receivers still kk break in the cold? Barrett/Geissele have a variant that’s lighter but still steel.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The 240 at 30 pounds is just too heavy for troops to carry.  Would be great mounted, but ground pounders, even big strong ones like I (was!), can't carry that much weight and be effective.

20, 22 pounds is about the max anyone can carry for long.

MG42 was awesome for the time, but at 1100-1200 RPM is too fast - you burn through your ammo too quickly, and MG's just don't need to fire that fast to get good suppressive fire.  

If I was building a MG for ground troops, I'd focus on this:

No more than 22 pounds, with optic, no ammo.

QD barrel feature like on the M60, where you can swap out barrels in 10 seconds.

Some modern 6mm round - would give you more range than the 7.62 round for longer engagements, and flatter shooting so as to not have to walk the rounds in as much.

Belt fed, but with the ability to be mag fed as well - it's too slow to reload a belt when things are hot and heavy.  

Light weight box for 50 / 100 /and 200 round belts, so that the ammo isn't swinging around.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
The lightest M240 variant is about 20 pounds, using the Barrett designed receiver, a fluted barrel, and no handguard. The M240N is like 24 pounds and doesn't come with a bipod.

I carried the M240 a little bit (just a little) and it was a beast. I'm glad I didn't have to carry it for a living. It's also very long and hard to maneuver.

The problem with the shorter variant that Barrett designed is that it doesn't work on the T&E, but it is like a foot shorter and 7 pounds lighter, so it would be great for an assault gun and shitty in support by fire.

Mounted, just buy the M240N with the Barrett designed receiver. The vehicle doesn't care, but it will be easier for female troops to move the weapon around and get it mounted up.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Largely agree but I don’t want mag feed. One, because what I want in a machine gun round isn’t what I want in a rifle round. Two, if it’s anything like the SAW the magazine feed won’t work and will cause failures even with belts.

The GPMG concept has been dead in most nations for decades but no one admits it publicly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The 240 at 30 pounds is just too heavy for troops to carry.  Would be great mounted, but ground pounders, even big strong ones like I (was!), can't carry that much weight and be effective.

MG42 was awesome for the time, but at 1100-1200 RPM is too fast - you burn through your ammo too quickly, and MG's just don't need to fire that fast to get good suppressive fire.  

QD barrel feature like on the M60, where you can swap out barrels in 10 seconds.

Some modern 6mm round - would give you more range than the 7.62 round for longer engagements, and flatter shooting so as to not have to walk the rounds in as much.

Belt fed, but with the ability to be mag fed as well - it's too slow to reload a belt when things are hot and heavy.  

Light weight box for 50 / 100 /and 200 round belts, so that the ammo isn't swinging around.
View Quote
So like, a MK46 in 6.8?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Polish PKM in 7.62
View Quote

While there are a lot of people with more experience than me, I worked with this exact MG overseas and it was incredibly simple, reliable, easy to run, relatively light weight compared to the 240B, and I recall that it fed from an ammo can under it that was mounted to the gun which made movement much easier for the gunner.  

I was lucky to get to go to a foreign weapons course back when the war in Iraq was rolling.  We spent a good bit of time on PK series machineguns and I walked away impressed.  It is a contender.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, though 6.8 mm, while a great round for 0-500, isn't as good for longer range as 6.5 Creed, 6.5 Grendle, or the 6mm ARC round.  So one of those three, probably the 6.5 Creed, as it has more power than the others, and sometimes it's nice to be able to chew through cover.

I've heard varying reports on that one - if it worked fine it would be a nice set up for ground use.  I wonder if it was a scaled up SAW, and just can't handle lots of full auto 7.62mm pounding, while it would be fine with the lighter 6.5 Cred.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The SAW was designed to be a 7.62mm and they didn’t shrink it when they made it a 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting.  Was the mag aspect an add on for the 5.56mm, or was there a mag version of the 7.62 mm as well?

The mags seems to work fine in the M249s Semi version - is that from it being closed bolt compared to open?  Or some other aspect of the design of the semi version?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Only the 5.56mm version went into serial production until the Mk48, which is temperamental. I don’t think the 7.62 was ever mag fed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Mg34
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Czech VZ 59
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_vz._59
Attachment Attached File

And, semi-autos in 7.62x54R are available and AFFORDABLE
https://youtu.be/79WFwpiB7Fk
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interesting.  Was the mag aspect an add on for the 5.56mm, or was there a mag version of the 7.62 mm as well?

The mags seems to work fine in the M249s Semi version - is that from it being closed bolt compared to open?  Or some other aspect of the design of the semi version?
View Quote

The Minimi Mk1 *edit: the Minimi prototype prior to the XM249* didn't have a mag-well (not sure about the Mk3), and neither does the Mk48 (for obvious reasons). The feature was to satisfy the military's request for the option to use mags, however complicated that made things. Most of the issues with the magazine feed issue stem from crappy, mistreated USGI mags still in circulation at some units combined with older 249's operating on the fringe. It would be fine if things were better maintained, as usual.

On another note, let's not overlook the limited life of Mk48's as a result of their receivers stretching with high round counts. It's a good system, but runs at the design's limits.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#26]
If my experience with a new ish post sample M249 and various metal mags is correct, they don’t run with new everything, either.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Minimi Mk1 *edit: the Minimi prototype prior to the XM249* didn't have a mag-well (not sure about the Mk3), and neither does the Mk48 (for obvious reasons). The feature was to satisfy the military's request for the option to use mags, however complicated that made things. Most of the issues with the magazine feed issue stem from crappy, mistreated USGI mags still in circulation at some units combined with older 249's operating on the fringe. It would be fine if things were better maintained, as usual.

On another note, let's not overlook the limited life of Mk48's as a result of their receivers stretching with high round counts. It's a good system, but runs at the design's limits.
View Quote

Would they last longer I wonder if set up for 6mm ARC or 6.5mm Credmore?  Those would be better rounds for longer range, though they don't have the same chew through ability of 7.62mm at closer ranges, such as chewing through concrete blocks until cover no longer is.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#28]
IWI Negev?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my experience,  the m249 just outruns magazines. Without a belt hanging off the side to slow the bolt down a little, the ROF goes up. This then causes the action to cycle too fast for a magazine to move the next round into position fast enough for reliable function.

Semi autos don't really have that problem.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#30]
That's partially why I referenced crappy GI mags still being used. If their springs are worn and don't generate as much force with each cycle, they usually get outrun by the bolt as you mentioned. Coupled with older 249's that have worn gas ports (and higher bolt speeds), voila: mag feeding is useless.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#31]
The Belgian MAG-58 was designed as a ground/infantry machine gun.  It entered the US inventory as the M1 tank's coax machine gun.

In the mid- to late-80s the US Army's Vietnam-era M60s had been re-built many, many times, many past their useful life, earning terrible, unfair reputations as jam- and stoppage machines.

The Ranger Battalions asked for a more dependable machine gun, and the interim recommendation came about to use tank M240s with the ground-mode conversion kit (M240G).  The newer guns earned a reputation for being dependable like the Energizer Bunny.  Duh.  So Army started retiring the M60 for the M240.

Meanwhile, on exercises with our allies, my experience with their new-production M60E4 machine guns floored me.  Light, dependable, and a sentimental favorite, those things ran like perfect Swiss watches.

As far as compromise, I'd rather run a heavier machine gun that works 99% of the time than a lightweight that spends 40% of its time in direct-, general-, and depot-level maintenance.

The ideal is an effective, 99% available gun that weighs nothing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

If we are going new gun/ caliber I vote Singapore's ultimate in 6.5 grendell.

Range is there (though less penetration than creed) and weight is not there,around 11 pounds empty weight, uric.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

In my experience,  the m249 just outruns magazines. Without a belt hanging off the side to slow the bolt down a little, the ROF goes up. This then causes the action to cycle too fast for a magazine to move the next round into position fast enough for reliable function.

Semi autos don't really have that problem.
View Quote

I've heard that about the full auto ones, and the reviews of the semis have said they run fine with mags.

Now how fast is a SAW, without a belt?  M16's are what, 600-700 RPM?  So is a mag only SAW quite a bit faster?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Belgian MAG-58 was designed as a ground/infantry machine gun.  It entered the US inventory as the M1 tank's coax machine gun.

In the mid- to late-80s the US Army's Vietnam-era M60s had been re-built many, many times, many past their useful life, earning terrible, unfair reputations as jam- and stoppage machines.

The Ranger Battalions asked for a more dependable machine gun, and the interim recommendation came about to use tank M240s with the ground-mode conversion kit (M240G).  The newer guns earned a reputation for being dependable like the Energizer Bunny.  Duh.  So Army started retiring the M60 for the M240.

Meanwhile, on exercises with our allies, my experience with their new-production M60E4 machine guns floored me.  Light, dependable, and a sentimental favorite, those things ran like perfect Swiss watches.

As far as compromise, I'd rather run a heavier machine gun that works 99% of the time than a lightweight that spends 40% of its time in direct-, general-, and depot-level maintenance.

View Quote

Sounds like my Army experience in the early 90's.  If you had a 60 that had been taken care of, and you knew how to clean and oil it up, they ran fine.  As a gun nut, mine always sang as I enjoyed taking care of my Hog.  But lots were worn out, and needed to be scrapped.  But the cheap ass refused to spend a grand or two to make firearms for the Infantry actually work.  Or were locked into some 15 year long project to find the perfect gun, and ended up keeping what they have (like they did for 20 years with the M9, or keep doing with the M16).

Never seen an E4 version of the M60, but if they ran fine, that would be to me a great MG for ground mounted Infantry.  Even lighter than the regular 60, and a front grip to swing it around more easily.

Never fooled around with the M240 - they were on M1's and Bradleys when I was in, and not for ground troops.  From the boxy shape, they look as if they have a heritage John Browning 1919/1937 history - is that correct, or are they gas operated instead of (I think) recoil operated like the 19/37?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#35]
And on another topic, what round do you think would be best for a MG?

556 is too light, for a MG you want the ability to chew through cover, and take out vehicles.

762 is the standard, but would a 6mm ish round be better?

6.8mm is great for 0-300 but starts to drop off after than.

6.5mm Creedmore?  Perfect blend of power, longer range, less recoil so less wear on MG that are run as hard as any firearm out there?

How about an M60E4, 6.5mm Creed, a slot to put in plastic box mags like the SAW, with 50 and 100 round boxes.  Green mil spec laser on the side to walk in your rounds, and a red dot optic on the top.  Semi-auto setting on it as well, in case you want to use it in a more rifle like mode.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#36]
The M240 is a BAR operating system upside down with an MG42 feed system. The receiver has similarity with the 1919 in that its machines and riveted steel for longevity.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#37]
And the MG42 feed system was highly regarded for it's design and reliability, is that correct?

I've read people say the M60 has a too weak feed system.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Correct.

The M60 has similar lineage but wasn’t a great copy. That said the E4/E6 variants are good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mg34
View Quote

Barrel change requiring a glove is so passé.

For dismounted use, the M60E6 looks like an attractive option. For a vehicle, make mine an MG3.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd kill for an M60 E6.  An MG3 would do as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Barrel change requiring a glove is so pass.
For a vehicle, make mine an MG3.
View Quote

You'll need a glove for that too, unless you're letting it fall out from the gun being elevated.

I like my M60E3. Haven't tried a MK48, but one gunner on YouTube with time on both said he prefers the M60E4 (and later variants) to the MK48.

I like the PKM but wouldn't trade my E3 for it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'd kill for an M60 E6.  An MG3 would do as well.
View Quote

I'd rather have an MG74. 850RPM and slick looks.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ZgME1CF.jpg
View Quote

Gorgeous!  I didn't know of this variant.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ZgME1CF.jpg

It's the most up-to-date one there is.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#45]
It is amazing how long the MG42 design has lasted.

Ultimax always looked like a winner.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#47]

A VERY underrated gun. A great shooter, light and easy to use.

Lots of neat design items they did with it. No moving parts in the top cover. Charging without removing your hand from the controls. A nice gun for sure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

A VERY underrated gun. A great shooter, light and easy to use.

Lots of neat design items they did with it. No moving parts in the top cover. Charging without removing your hand from the controls. A nice gun for sure.
View Quote

Yep.
And with milled receiver so as never to stretch, wear out, etc. and become unserviceable while still remaining light enough weight to be man portable.
It's accurate too! Don't need a belt loader, the 50 rd belts can be connected to each other for a single 2000 round belt if you want. As a non resupplied individual, i like  simple, strong non disintegrating belts that can be used hundreds of times. The 50 round assault can attaches to the gun securely and keeps it ready and portable.
Ask me how I know.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep.
And with milled receiver so as never to stretch, wear out, etc. and become unserviceable while still remaining light enough weight to be man portable.
It's accurate too! Don't need a belt loader, the 50 rd belts can be connected to each other for a single 2000 round belt if you want. As a non resupplied individual, i like  simple, strong non disintegrating belts that can be used hundreds of times. The 50 round assault can attaches to the gun securely and keeps it ready and portable.
Ask me how I know.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132994/UKM_pic_jpg-1914612.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, but the belt loader is flippin sweet.

UK 59 Speed Loader - 7.62x54R Belt Speed Loader

Mine broke its locking block. I have made a couple to replace it, but I cant get the heat treat right. They keep cracking. Its some tough steel for sure.

ETA-  I dont like the Marcomar barrel handle. The original let you use it as a forward grip to shoot from the shoulder. See this video at 2:07

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot April 2014
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#50]
notso,
I will pm you later so I don’t hijack this thread.................more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top