Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 5:10:59 PM EDT
Decided I want a nice quality .22 sharps to plink and teach kids on. Which is better the pedersoli or the chiappa? Is there another brand I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
My thought - anything that weighs 8 pounds is too much for a kid.

The Chiappa Little Sharps Classic Rifle weighs only 5.5 lb.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have other small guns for them but this would a bench gun to start them on before even shooting off hand. Plus I’m gonna be using it a lot in the short term. ;)
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:18:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have other small guns for them but this would a bench gun to start them on before even shooting off hand. Plus I’m gonna be using it a lot in the short term. ;)
View Quote
Ah!, now that stuff in red, is something I believe.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Ha you are kinda right. I just done know who makes the best quality one these days. Pedersoli looks nicer fit and finish. I really want a nice traditional gun to plink with.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ha you are kinda right. I just done know who makes the best quality one these days. Pedersoli looks nicer fit and finish. I really want a nice traditional gun to plink with.
View Quote
Pedersolis are better than Chiappas.  It's not that Chiappas are necessarily "bad" but the Pedersolis are much, much better guns.  Pedersoli tends to pay more attention to small details AND important ones such as breechblock fit.
I would love their 22lr benchrest model but I am fawning over the Old West Maple at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Do they still make the .22 bench rest model?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do they still make the .22 bench rest model?
View Quote
As far as I know, yes.  Capandball had a video on it not too long ago.
ETA  oops....that video is 4 years old.  So...I am not sure.  I shall check when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I would sooner look at a Winchester low wall pattern, better action and trigger, lighter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The Bench Rest is still listed....and weighs in a 13 pounds!!!!  It will definitely NOT move when shooting...LOL....

Steel is definitely right about the weight....but be it a Low Wall or a Sharps....double set triggers will shine either way.

I wish someone made a really nice target, small frame Sharps...or a Low Wall....or a No. 3 Hepburn.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have. Chiapas low wall in 22 hornet. Looks great but with the stock sight it is useless.  Have a marbles for it, but will require some machine work to install.  Already fitted a decent front sight to it - Lyman target globe iirc (stock sucked there as well).
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have. Chiapas low wall in 22 hornet. Looks great but with the stock sight it is useless.  Have a marbles for it, but will require some machine work to install.  Already fitted a decent front sight to it - Lyman target globe iirc (stock sucked there as well).
View Quote
I am not a fan of stock sights, either.  Your Globe Sight project will be worth it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I was just upset because Lyman had a version of the rifle with a factory Lyman sight on it.  I did not like the bright finish, so I got the Chiapas only to call Lyman and be told the sight specifically made for the rifle (which was still in their catalog) was already discontinued.  Apparently they only made them for the guns they branded, none for aftermarket.  Meanwhile the screw pattern did not allow any existing Marbles to bolt on.  At least the globe only took a bit of work with a safety file.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was just upset because Lyman had a version of the rifle with a factory Lyman sight on it.  I did not like the bright finish, so I got the Chiapas only to call Lyman and be told the sight specifically made for the rifle (which was still in their catalog) was already discontinued.  Apparently they only made them for the guns they branded, none for aftermarket.  Meanwhile the screw pattern did not allow any existing Marbles to bolt on.  At least the globe only took a bit of work with a safety file.
View Quote
I don't blame you for being upset.

Do you have the Lyman part and UPC and SKU numbers for the discontinued sight?  Maybe we could make a project out of hunting one down for you?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the info at one point but gave up that direction.  I have the marbles, just need to get some machinist time to make it fit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw a  Dakota .22lr Sharps at SAR early this month.  So gorgeous! ...and a steal at only 5,000 USD!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would sooner look at a Winchester low wall pattern, better action and trigger, lighter.
View Quote
The 1885 Low Wall Rimfire Hunter is no longer in production but may be available used.  It weighs 8 pounds.

This is the Pedersoli benchrest in 22LR.  It weighs 13 pounds.

This is the Chiappa Little Sharps in 22LR.  It weighs 5.5 pounds.

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Fwiw, got the Chiapas back from the gun smith,  in the process and doing some reloading.  Will try to remember to update here after I get it sighted in.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fwiw, got the Chiapas back from the gun smith,  in the process and doing some reloading.  Will try to remember to update here after I get it sighted in.
View Quote
Looking forward to the update!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 1885 Low Wall Rimfire Hunter is no longer in production but may be available used.  It weighs 8 pounds.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/products/rifles/model-1885/low-wall-hunter-rimfire-case-colored/Model-1885-Low-Wall-MID-534095-l.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

https://www.pedersoli.co.za/images/d40s758.gif

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/uploadimmagini/prodotti_immagini_immagine_587.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/products/rifles/model-1885/low-wall-hunter-rimfire-case-colored/Model-1885-Low-Wall-MID-534095-l.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

https://www.pedersoli.co.za/images/d40s758.gif

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/uploadimmagini/prodotti_immagini_immagine_587.jpg
For kids the low weight is much nicer.   I have taught hunter education and smaller kids and heavy guns is far from ideal.

I believe browning had a low wall with a rubber or plastic butt pad.  There is half a pound deleting the old school curved button piece.   Did the winchester trapper low wall come in .22lr?  I know there was a .17 cal version but it may have been a .17 hornet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top