Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2017 5:08:25 PM EDT
Hi all,

Any thoughts? In particular, I am wondering about gas/particulate blowback that I've heard is pretty significant from ARs when running them with a can. I have a silencerco in ATF jail, and was wondering if something would work better than my ARs (which are all DI).

In particular, I am wondering about the CZ Bren 805. I have heard, though, that it has odd threads that are not supported by Silencerco, need to do my research on that. Also, the FN SCAR (223/556 or the 308 version) and the Bushmaster ACR. Just wondering what all you guys might have to say. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Best .223/5.56 rifle to suppress is a bolt action rifle
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I should clarify: best semi-auto. I do love my bolt guns though and will be using them quite a bit
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The one you own.  All ar15 are going to to be loud.  All semi automatics are going to be loud.  All bullets breaking the sound barrier are going to be loud.  Just pick one and go with it.  I have 4 different 30 Cal cans and that are all loud.

There is nothing magical about supersonic rounds and suppressors which all are over 130db.

If you are concerned about gas there all all sorts of products that mitigate it.  My 11.5 sbr has no gas blow back with a slr adjustable gas block, bcm charging handle, and an omega suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
"Best 5.56 autoloading rifle to suppress" will generally be the one with the shortest barrel since short tubes impart the loudest, worst concussive blast, both laterally and rearward.

Without the can on, the decibel level from firing a 5.56 rd will cause the most auditory damage, and it only gets worse if fired inside a structure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Any thoughts? In particular, I am wondering about gas/particulate blowback that I've heard is pretty significant from ARs when running them with a can..
View Quote
adjustable gas block, or if youre poor heavy buffer/spring

longer barrels will have longer lock times=less gas

its going to happen no matter what
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
AR15 duh... Very quiet host, especially with an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

adjustable gas block, or if youre poor heavy buffer/spring

longer barrels will have longer lock times=less gas

its going to happen no matter what
View Quote
Adjustable gas blocks are for poor people. People with means simply buy a barrel that’s ported correctly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Keltec RDB.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Keltec RDB.
View Quote
Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
In semi a hk33 or hk53 or clones.  Roller delay or any delay that does not use gas. DI blows gas back. Piston has pop noise.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The one you own.  All ar15 are going to to be loud.  All semi automatics are going to be loud.  All bullets breaking the sound barrier are going to be loud.  Just pick one and go with it.  I have 4 different 30 Cal cans and that are all loud.

There is nothing magical about supersonic rounds and suppressors which all are over 130db.

If you are concerned about gas there all all sorts of products that mitigate it.  My 11.5 sbr has no gas blow back with a slr adjustable gas block, bcm charging handle, and an omega suppressor.
View Quote
He didn't say anything about noise / sound.  His concern was blowback.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
A high quality properly gassed AR15 is a great host.  No need for a piston gun, adjustable gas block, or special carrier.

My LMT 10.5" SBR is my favorite host.  Very pleasant to shoot suppressed, with virtually no noticeable blowback to the face.

My second favorite host would be my Tavor SAR
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keltec RDB.
View Quote
This, ACR, or MCX. All have great adjustable gas systems.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
My Bren 805 is the best 5.56 rifle I have found to run suppressed out of the box. Way better than an AR, better than a unmodified Tavor by a fair bit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
MCX is my favorite suppressor host.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AR15 duh... Very quiet host, especially with an adjustable gas block.
View Quote
All my centerfire supersonic rounds aren't very quiet with any can I use.  Not certain what I'm doing wrong

That said, even though not quiet, sure beats the muzzle blast without the can on.

To the OP, I run both DI and piston (non AR) with my cans, and sound wise, honestly I can't tell the difference between the two.  I wouldn't buy another rifle just because you're worried about running a can on it.

Now...if you want to use it as an excuse to buy another gun, well, I'm certain we've all had some screwed up logic on why we need another gun
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This!  
Bolt action .22 is the cat’s meow!
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#18]
an MCX or a Robinson Arms XCR.  Both have suppressor settings you can access without the need for tools or taking the gun apart.  Some piston AR uppers also have easily accessible gas regulators.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top