Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 4:11:55 PM EDT
Hey all,

Looking for purchase advice. I currently have a nice 10.3” Aero SBR that I’ve done quite a bit of upgrading.

I’m getting the itch to bite the bullet and buy a very nice 10.3” to 11.5” pistol in 5.56 to SBR with the expectation to hold onto it forever and pass down to my son.

I’ve been looking at an MK18, radian, ADM or possibly a PWS piston setup.  What would the knowledgeable people here recommend on about a 2k budget with the intention of getting something incredibly reliable and long-lasting?  I would just need the base pistol as I would move all the accessories and optics from my Aero.

I could also just get the upper and move to my Aero lower to save the additional stamp $.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy factory Colt 6933/6945 or LWRCI UCIW and be happy.

18Z50
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
G super duty 11.5
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got my stamp back on my MK18, so I'd go with that one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G super duty 11.5
View Quote

+1 on this one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're planning on running a suppressor, I'd say 10.3" MK18 or G superduty instead of the 11.5".
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a G superduty today. I have to tell you, it is one nice ass weapon. I have a DD MK 18 too. Can’t go wrong either way!
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1 on this one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G super duty 11.5

+1 on this one.

9 years till first post lol
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey all,

Looking for purchase advice. I currently have a nice 10.3” Aero SBR that I’ve done quite a bit of upgrading.

I’m getting the itch to bite the bullet and buy a very nice 10.3” to 11.5” pistol in 5.56 to SBR with the expectation to hold onto it forever and pass down to my son.

I’ve been looking at an MK18, radian, ADM or possibly a PWS piston setup.  What would the knowledgeable people here recommend on about a 2k budget with the intention of getting something incredibly reliable and long-lasting?  I would just need the base pistol as I would move all the accessories and optics from my Aero.

I could also just get the upper and move to my Aero lower to save the additional stamp $.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

PWS MK111 Mod 2-M

Link to upper here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey all,

Looking for purchase advice. I currently have a nice 10.3" Aero SBR that I've done quite a bit of upgrading.

I'm getting the itch to bite the bullet and buy a very nice 10.3" to 11.5" pistol in 5.56 to SBR with the expectation to hold onto it forever and pass down to my son.

I've been looking at an MK18, radian, ADM or possibly a PWS piston setup.  What would the knowledgeable people here recommend on about a 2k budget with the intention of getting something incredibly reliable and long-lasting?  I would just need the base pistol as I would move all the accessories and optics from my Aero.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

First, are looking for a second registered receiver?  Your post is a bit ambiguous.

Buying a pistol and then registering it as an SBR is more expensive because you end up with a brace you don't need and have to buy a stock.  A 'good' pistol is the same cost as the same thing as an SBR.

Piston AR-15 are over-rated for the most part IMHO unless you are talking about HK and I have heard good things about the SIGs.  My LWRC Six8 is HEAVY!  My KAC SR-15 doesn't put gas in my face and is the softest shooting AR-15 style rifle I have ever fired.  My military buddy said similar things about its low recoil impulse and he is a competition shooter!

Personally, I would seriously consider the Knights Armament uppers.  In fact, I'm looking for a 14.5" SBR right now, or at least an upper.  I would certainly consider a 13.9" Triarc.

When you ask about PWS and Radian, it begs the question of why you do want a second ~10.3" upper and what does it need to do that your current one doesn't?  Are you looking for a 'game gun' or do you just want to LEGO your rifle in a different direction?  What does your new "nice" upper have to do the one you currently have doesn't?

Personally, I find an unsuppressed 10.3"/MK-18 upper to be OBNOXIOUS.  I'm not doing vehicle-borne operations and I'm not on a protective detail so, I find longer to be so much nicer to shoot, even with a suppressor.

I would suggest considering getting a high quality 16" AR-15 to complement your 10.3" SBR.  Geissele, Daniel Defense, Knight's Armament, Triac, Sons of Liberty, and others all build solid working rifles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
PWS for a piston or MK18 .
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
G super duty 11.5
View Quote

This.

Just built an SBR with a G super duty 11.5" upper.
My favorite AR at the moment.

I have quite a few SBRs, including a MK18 -

11.5" seems to be the sweet spot for SBRs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a similar quandary and ended up buying a KAC factory lower and Efile form 1. Then went directly to KAC for a factory fresh SR-15 CQB upper.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Since you're looking to pass it down, I'd go with a Colt lower or KAC sr15. Lots of nostalgia and name recognition with those.

That said, I own a 10.3 Geissele SD and it's a nice gun. Shoots smooth, BCG is a dream to clean, excellent fit/finish (black ano). Wait for one of their sales and it's a good value. For the $2250 MSRP I'd have spent more and gone with a KAC or LMT, but I think mine was $1500 shipped with coupon.

Put a few mags through a PWS SBR, it was nice too, a bit more/different recoil than my G. My buddy really likes them.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had a similar quandary and ended up buying a KAC factory lower and Efile form 1. Then went directly to KAC for a factory fresh SR-15 CQB upper.
View Quote

Lucky bloke. Where the hell did you find a full KAC factory lower? Been looking for one for a while with no luck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
If you can wait, Triarc Systems 11.5" suppressed only option.  Top notch
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
AR SBR's are fairly commonplace.  If your intent is to pass it on as an heirloom, look for something a bit more unique.  Here are some of my non-AR/non-AK SBR's for ideas (technically, the Banshee's are AR's, I guess):

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
AR SBR's are fairly commonplace.  If your intent is to pass it on as an heirloom, look for something a bit more unique.  Here are some of my non-AR/non-AK SBR's for ideas (technically, the Banshee's are AR's, I guess):
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52280153532_3f12490066_k.jpg
View Quote

I love your collection! I need to do an SBR family picture.  Someday I want to add some sweet sigs like yours!
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you planning to convert a "pistol" to a SBR if a tax-free transition is offered, as discussed in other threads?  If so, the firearm will presumably need to be classified as a pistol at purchase, and not a rifle, which will limit your choices.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a G super duty 10.3 pistol and couldn’t be happier. Only thing I added was a stock and vertical grip when my form 1 got approved.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lucky bloke. Where the hell did you find a full KAC factory lower? Been looking for one for a while with no luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Orlando gun show last year, some dude walking the show with a KAC ambi lower. Best $700 I’ve spent at that show.

Pro-tip. $100 dollar bills talk. Some dipshit was trying to hijack my negotiation by offering the dude a grand, but he didn’t have the juice and was offering to write a check.

Edit: The show was pre-Covid so it was probably closer to 2 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top