Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2020 12:15:54 PM EDT
This is an older 682 (wide body receiver) The gun was built from parts many years ago (the bbl and receiver do not have matching serial numbers)

There are 2 problems that I think are significant.  I'm trying to get a grasp on what the solution involves before I decide whether or not I'm going to part the thing out, or repair it.

First problem - the gun is off face.  You can easily slip a piece of paper between the face of the receiver and the barrels when the action is closed.  Conventional wisdom says it needs new trunnions.  I've reversed the trunnions and it made no difference in the gap.  I have a set of oversized trunnions ordered - but I'm not confident that is the problem.

Looking at the lockup mechanism I'm curious as to what exactly is it that puts the bbls on the receiver.  I took my old 682 trap gun which is old, but a very low round count and locks up like a bank vault.  I used a set of parallels to measure the distance from the face of the receiver to the back surface of the trunnion and got 1.993".  Then I measured from the back face of the bbls to the hook and got 1.963", a difference of 0.030".  this tells me at lock up the trunnions are not fully engaged in the bbl hook.  The bbl hook is machined to the diameter of the trunnion.  You can lay the parallels on the bbl and see quite clearly that the trunnions are not fully engaged at closing.  This tells me that the trunnions guide the bbls into position until the bbl shoulders engage the receiver and its the shoulders that pull the bbls in.  This set of bbls has the replaceable shoulders - but as near as I can tell the replacement shoulders are rough finished and would need to be fit, heat treated, and polished.  

I think the outfit that did the original fitting years ago used a set of bbls that just don't fit this receiver.  It's all water under the bridge now, but I doubt these bbls ever fit this receiver properly.

Hoping that someone here knows enough about the 682 action to correct or clarify this for me.

The second problem is both ejectors are toast.  I know replacement ejectors have to be fit, heat treated, and timed.  Replacing 2 ejectors on this barrel set may cost more than the bbls are worth (roughly $260 +/- for parts, fitting, heat treat, polish, and time per ejector, plus shipping both ways from Montana to Maine.  These are 28" skeet barrels with briley tubes, but 28" competition guns are in very low demand, these bbls may be difficult to sell.  I took the ejectors out of my 682 and tried them, they seem to fit ok but they would need timed.  Ideally one could find a couple ejectors that are ok from a scrapped bbl that fit well enough that they would only need timed.

If I part the gun out I'd probably end up sitting on the bbls and tubes for a long while.

Tried on Trapshooters and a bit on Shotgunworld - both gunsmithing forums said 'if you have to ask, send it to Coles"  which seems to be the standard, useless, answer.  Got it. Not going to happen until I understand more about what the problem really is.  I really don't want to send the thing to Coles with a blank check, and it's not really useful to send it to them and have them tell me 'yup, its off face and needs new ejectors'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top