Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2023 8:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Garand1911]
A buddy picked up a used Mk1 Desert eagle, frame only.
He later acquired a Mk1 44mag complete barrel and slide.
Attempting to put it all together found the slide only going on the frame about half way.
Further examination with a straight edge shows the dust cover of the frame is bent/twisted/warped.

Anyone ever hear of this on Deagles?
Possibly bad frame heat treat ?

This is a Mk1 frame, so pre-50AE.
I guessing someone blew it up, hence no slide/barrel, and twisted the frame in the process.
His thought is no Gunsmith will touch a Deagle, and hes ready to heat and beat. I think there is a risk of cracking the frame, then it gets shit canned.

So is this fixable?

If it was fixed, would it warp again ?

TIA
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Garand1911:
A buddy picked up a used Mk1 Desert eagle, frame only.
He later acquired a Mk1 44mag complete barrel and slide.
Attempting to put it all together found the slide only going on the frame about half way.
Further examination with a straight edge shows the dust cover of the frame is bent/twisted/warped.

Anyone ever hear of this on Deagles?
Possibly bad frame heat treat ?

This is a Mk1 frame, so pre-50AE.
I guessing someone blew it up, hence no slide/barrel, and twisted the frame in the process.
His thought is no Gunsmith will touch a Deagle, and hes ready to heat and beat. I think there is a risk of cracking the frame, then it gets shit canned.

So is this fixable?

If it was fixed, would it warp again ?

TIA
View Quote

The frames are cast, so I am not sure about bending it.

I would be very concerned about that frame..  pics would help. Heating and bending might weaken what strength it has.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BDA:

The frames are cast, so I am not sure about bending it.

I would be very concerned about that frame..  pics would help. Heating and bending might weaken what strength it has.
View Quote

Cast what? Malleable iron? Steel?

The actual material determines the methods by which it can be deformed without damage.

Iron can be peened, peening will cause it to bend away from the peening location.

Steel, even cast steel, affords many more options.

Disclaimer, I know nothing about Deagles, but know a bit about metals and deformation of metals.

I have done thermal straightening on structural steel frames before.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
How much of the forward rails are bent?  How much rail could be cut off & the pistol still operate?

There's a whole lot of powder going off in that thing, know what you're doing before you break out the Dremel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to see some pictures of this
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:39:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Garand1911] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Almost anything is technically fixable but in this case I don't think the squeeze is worth the juice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Almost anything is technically fixable but in this case I don't think the squeeze is worth the juice.
View Quote

I agree.

I think you'd go into "straightening" the frame with the understanding you're going to have to buy a new one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#8]
I'd call Magnum Research, ask for an RMA, then once they get it & see it's not fixable, see if they'll cut you a deal on a new one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
I'd call Magnum Research, ask for an RMA, then once they get it & see it's not fixable, see if they'll cut you a deal on a new one.
View Quote

We did contact MagResch, they said send it in, but didnt say anything about if a fix was possible.

Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top