Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2021 2:08:21 PM EDT
Does anyone own one? I was curious as to how well it patterns out to 20-25 yards with standard buckshot (not just Federal Flight Control).

Colion Noir’s video made me take a look at one, especially given the low price. I currently own a Benelli M4, and I think a spare pump gun would be useful.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It patterns about the same as the fixed cylinder bore M4.  Overall a nice gun that functions well and has decent aftermarket support. Do not expect the same build quality of the M4 (no one should given the price differential.)  The Benelli OEM mag extension kit can be had for about $50 (MGW; OOS last I checked) to $60 (Gunbroker or Ebay (same vendor)).  Kit is much cheaper than the individual parts.

I bought mine as a showroom demo from Eurooptic, and it was essentially a new gun (and I saved a bunch.)  

https://www.eurooptic.com/Benelli-SuperNova-Tactical-12GA-18-Black-Pump-Action-Shotgun-Pistol-Grip-and-Ghost-Ring-Sights-20160-Showroom-Demo.aspx
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello.  I wouldn't do it.  You have an M4.  I would stick to semiautos.  I did the Supernova tactical thing to compliment my M2 Home defense shotgun.  Bad idea.  I sold it.  The SN is setup for 3.5" shells.  So, it has a longer receiver and this means a longer distance to rack the slide.  I found, under stress, this increased distance would cause me to short stroke the gun.  

Stick to one - pump or semi.  Then train the muscle memory for that platform.  

If you do go pump, stick to a 3" shell maximum.  It is more efficient and less likely to exploit the tendency for humans to make mistakes.

P.S.  I can already hear the "train harder" and the  "it is human error" ect....  Whatever.  I have seen famous gun school instructors short shuck pump guns under stress.  Humility means accepting you are not perfect.  Wisdom means planning around that fact.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Benelli SNT not too long ago. It was my HD blaster. Super reliable and very easy to maintain. Put it through a number of Shotgun training courses, to include Sentinel Concepts (Steve  Fisher) and Spartan Tactical (John Krupa). In one course, I was able to keep up with some top end semi-autos, taking 2nd place in the class after being beaten out by a guy with a tricked out Benelli M4 H2O. My only gripe was that aftermarket support was somewhat limited compared to say, Mossberg or Remington. After becoming a certified armorer on the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500/590, I moved toward the Mossberg for my defensive shotgun. That said...if a Benelli SNT was all I had, I'd have zero qualms about running it. It's a very good pump gun!
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello.  I wouldn't do it.  You have an M4.  I would stick to semiautos.  I did the Supernova tactical thing to compliment my M2 Home defense shotgun.  Bad idea.  I sold it.  The SN is setup for 3.5" shells.  So, it has a longer receiver and this means a longer distance to rack the slide.  I found, under stress, this increased distance would cause me to short stroke the gun.  

Stick to one - pump or semi.  Then train the muscle memory for that platform.  

If you do go pump, stick to a 3" shell maximum.  It is more efficient and less likely to exploit the tendency for humans to make mistakes.

P.S.  I can already hear the "train harder" and the  "it is human error" ect....  Whatever.  I have seen famous gun school instructors short shuck pump guns under stress.  Humility means accepting you are not perfect.  Wisdom means planning around that fact.
View Quote

Good to know. Thank you for the input.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had a Benelli SNT not too long ago. It was my HD blaster. Super reliable and very easy to maintain. Put it through a number of Shotgun training courses, to include Sentinel Concepts (Steve  Fisher) and Spartan Tactical (John Krupa). In one course, I was able to keep up with some top end semi-autos, taking 2nd place in the class after being beaten out by a guy with a tricked out Benelli M4 H2O. My only gripe was that aftermarket support was somewhat limited compared to say, Mossberg or Remington. After becoming a certified armorer on the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500/590, I moved toward the Mossberg for my defensive shotgun. That said...if a Benelli SNT was all I had, I'd have zero qualms about running it. It's a very good pump gun!
View Quote

The Benelli’s action seems fairly quick for a pump gun. Not sure if it is any better than a Mossberg or 870, but the Benelli’s chrome lined barrel appeals to me given I may take it down to Louisiana on occasion near salt marshes.

I’ll try to check one out. I have some trigger time behind a 870, but I mostly shoot my Benelli M4 (not enough unfortunately, because I have too many ARs, AKs, PCCs that occupy my range time ).
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Go for it, I love my Benelli Nova Tactical.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Love mine! I have short stroked it on occasion but after a few training sessions it’s all good now.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#8]
590 is a better pump gun and has aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Go for it. Novas and Supernovas are excellent pump guns. There's no way you get me to take an 870, 500, or 590 over one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go for it. Novas and Supernovas are excellent pump guns. There's no way you get me to take an 870, 500, or 590 over one.
View Quote

I think the Nova is a step up from a Mossberg 500.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No question about it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you say that? Have you ever owned a Benelli?
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Lmao…..you can’t be serious?

Benelli>Mossy any and every day of the week!
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It patterns about the same as the fixed cylinder bore M4.  Overall a nice gun that functions well and has decent aftermarket support. Do not expect the same build quality of the M4 (no one should given the price differential.)  The Benelli OEM mag extension kit can be had for about $50 (MGW; OOS last I checked) to $60 (Gunbroker or Ebay (same vendor)).  Kit is much cheaper than the individual parts.

I bought mine as a showroom demo from Eurooptic, and it was essentially a new gun (and I saved a bunch.)  

https://www.eurooptic.com/Benelli-SuperNova-Tactical-12GA-18-Black-Pump-Action-Shotgun-Pistol-Grip-and-Ghost-Ring-Sights-20160-Showroom-Demo.aspx
View Quote

Thanks.  I just ordered one of the "demo" models myself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought a 590 and a Nova Tactical last summer. The 590 was a giant turd and I promptly sold after a few weeks...and bought a SuperNova in its place.

Not sure what more "aftermarket support" you need...I've been able to mount a light, a sling, and spare ammo on mine via aftermarket parts. But you're right, there's not the same amount of "Tapco Tacticool" stuff available for the Benelli...just stuff that's actually useful.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know where to find a collapsible stock for the SuperNova? I see them around but they all are out of stock or say for LE purchase only.

I find the fixed stock LOP a tad too long for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I bought a 590 and a Nova Tactical last summer. The 590 was a giant turd and I promptly sold after a few weeks...and bought a SuperNova in its place.

Not sure what more "aftermarket support" you need...I've been able to mount a light, a sling, and spare ammo on mine via aftermarket parts. But you're right, there's not the same amount of "Tapco Tacticool" stuff available for the Benelli...just stuff that's actually useful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never understood the desire to buy guns that NEED a ton of "aftermarket" stuff.

We'll see when mine gets here I guess.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
It definitely doesn’t get the love it deserves.

Which reminds me, I need to drop some money at Mesa.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
@triode

Thanks again.  My "demo" came in and the shotgun looks new.  Couldn't find anything anywhere on it that would indicate it was out getting finger banged in a showroom floor.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The SN is a good shotgun. I wouldn’t say it’s better than a 590 as I have both. The LOP is too long. From my experience with the Nova and SN the patterning for standard  buckshot was a little tighter than cylinder bore. With flite  control it’s much better.

The collapsing pistol grip stock is hard to find, expensive and IMO looks awful. You can occasionally find one for sale.

Mesa tactical has a shorter pistol grip Urbino stock but it’s $135. You can cut one down yourself if you are up for a challenge.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@triode

Thanks again.  My "demo" came in and the shotgun looks new.  Couldn't find anything anywhere on it that would indicate it was out getting finger banged in a showroom floor.

View Quote

You are welcome.  I find myself checking their demo sales whenever I am looking for a firearm or optic.  Picked up a demo Beretta pistol that was basically new in box.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The LOP is not exactly armor friendly on mine.  

Anyone try the Mesa Tactical stock with about 2" less LOP?

But, man, I love this shotgun.  Loading area is like the freaking Grand canyon.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The LOP is not exactly armor friendly on mine.  

Anyone try the Mesa Tactical stock with about 2" less LOP?

But, man, I love this shotgun.  Loading area is like the freaking Grand canyon.  
View Quote

I have the Mesa stock. The shorter LOP is very good and it takes limbsaver pads. This is the way to go if you don’t want to cut down the factory stock and shape and fit  a pad to it. I also  have cut the  barrel cut down to 15 inches but it’s still a bit long due the length of the receiver so as an SBS it’s still long.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
No question about it.
View Quote

Absolutely!  The Nova / SuperNova are excellent guns all around.

I prefer it even to the 870 Police Magnum - and THAT is really saying something!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I decided I liked it enough to get the Mesa shorter LOP stock.

??
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I really liked it.  

Then I put on the Mesa Tactical stock.

Now I love it.  

GG&G flashlight mount ordered. Once that comes, it's ready for duty at my cabin.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks again guys for the heads up on these.  I like this more than my 590A1 by a large margin.

The Mesa stock with short LOP is awesome, and the Nordic +2 extension and GG&G light mount make it a formidable home defense option.

My 13y/o son loves it.

FWIW, mine shoots a rather  tight pattern to POA at 10 yards with Rio reduced recoil 00 buck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Very Nice!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd say the supernova tactical is easily the best pump out there. I've had mine for around 15 years now. Mine has gone through 4 revisions and I think it's perfect now. I bought it originally with the pg stock cut to 12in lop, Mesa stock, field stock chopped and for the last 10 or so years on the m1014 c stock.

Until a week ago I was running the Mesa 6 shot side saddle, good unit but my short arms and hand placement on the pump id contact the first 2 shells now and again. Now I'm running the esstac velcro side saddle, I wish I would have made the jump long ago.

I also have my barrel threaded for colonial thin wall chokes. I've shot 15 or so different types of buckshot out of mine and most pattern very well, many of the rounds I tested with a ic choke patterened at 7-11in at 25yds. I also use this gun for hunting and sporting clays (I go between the supernova and my saiga 12).

My supernova is my do everything gun. Of all my firearms I easily have the most time, rounds and practice with it.

https://flic.kr/p/2nuoiaX
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I was happy to find out my two shot extension from GG&G increased capacity by three instead of just the advertised two.

My only complaint with these guns is the ridiculously long LOP.

Going to add their light mount, their shell carrier/optic mount, and a sling eventually. I think an Urbino will be the next add on.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I held off installing an Urbino on my Benelli M4 for the longest period of time. I regret it. The Benelli (all of their tactical shotguns) LOP is too long. The Urbino's is just right. Definitely try an Urbino. No, it does not install like a normal M4 stock that twists on and off, but it is well worth it.

Cruising Mesa Tactical's website, it would appear that they only make the Urbino for the SuperNova, M1/2/3 and M4. The supernova Urbino will not fit a standard Nova. What a bummer. I wonder if the SuperNova's collapsible stock would fit a standard Nova: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/61171
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#33]
The Nova has a combined receiver and stock. You can’t change the stock. The only way to shorten the LOP on a Nova is to cut the stock. The SuperNova has a removable stock but shares parts with the Nova.
Top Top