Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2018 11:13:25 AM EDT
Which would be a better buy?  I found a 2011ish example that is "new" for $1499 that still has the aluminum trigger guard or I can get a more recent example for the same money in the same condition.

I went and picked it up tonight.  I don't think it really was fired or if so it wasn't much at all.

The SF forend got removed and I added an Aimpoint H-1, Surefire M300C in IWC mount, BFG sling, and the standard forend.

The tube is actually titanium and says "Made in USA" and under that "Titanium".  I am almost positive it is this looking at the color and the markings.

Date code puts it in 2009.

Overall I am really happy with this setup.  Now to go shoot it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Which would be a better buy?  I found a 2011ish example that is "new" for $1499 that still has the aluminum trigger guard or I can get a more recent example for the same money in the same condition.
View Quote

Older one uses green threadlocker on mag tube. Easier to deal with. Has 2 piece mag follower (no issue), has aluminum trigger guard (a plus i think, but the both work).
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:41:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Older one uses green threadlocker on mag tube. Easier to deal with. Has 2 piece mag follower (no issue), has aluminum trigger guard (a plus i think, but the both work).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  I am trying to learn what I can about them as fast as possible.

Were any ever imported with a full capacity tube or was that always an after purchase upgrade?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
LE models come with the full length tube, but standard versions have the 5 round tube and the dummy extension.

I bought mine in December of 2016 and it took a good amount of time with the heat gun to loosen the copious amount of threadlocker on the factory 5 round tube. It’s an easy job to replace the tube and stock though.

For the spring retainer, do yourself a favor and get a pair of snap ring pliers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LE models come with the full length tube, but standard versions have the 5 round tube and the dummy extension.

I bought mine in December of 2016 and it took a good amount of time with the heat gun to loosen the copious amount of threadlocker on the factory 5 round tube. It’s an easy job to replace the tube and stock though.

For the spring retainer, do yourself a favor and get a pair of snap ring pliers.
View Quote
I found a never fired example with the full length tube, collapsible stock, and a Surefire M80 forend that I committed to buy.

The forend will have to go though as I don't want it and they seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Double...
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
What’s the significance of an aluminum trigger guard?  My new 11707 one is aluminum too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What’s the significance of an aluminum trigger guard?  My new 11707 one is aluminum too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones that I just looked at at Scheel's on Saturday were both plastic.  I don't know how much it matters, however, all things considered I'd just rather have an aluminum one.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The ones that I just looked at at Scheel's on Saturday were both plastic.  I don't know how much it matters, however, all things considered I'd just rather have an aluminum one.
View Quote
What model number was it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were both 11707.  One had a serial that ended in 17 and the other ended in 18 so I'm guessing those are years of manufacture?  It is a new Scheel's that just opened a month ago.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought a new factory Benelli LE M4 11721 and it did not come with the full length 7 round tube.  It was the 5 round tube with the functional +2 extension instead of the dummy (ribbed) extension.  The only ones I’ve seen new with the full length single piece tube are the military M1014s.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a new factory Benelli LE M4 11721 and it did not come with the full length 7 round tube.  It was the 5 round tube with the functional +2 extension instead of the dummy (ribbed) extension.  The only ones I’ve seen new with the full length single piece tube are the military M1014s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm thinking this may be a LE model that the tube was replaced on.  I was told it has never been shot so I guess I'll find out when it shows up next week.

It doesn't have the flag on it like the M1014's do that I can see so I don't think it is one of those.

I'll update this thread too when I get it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The civilian M1014s with the flag on the side never had the full length tube.  They had the normal civilian 5 shot tube with the dummy ribbed extension.  Also, although they had the collapsible stock, the recoil spring tube that the stock went on had different cuts on it so the stock only locked in one position.  It wouldn’t lock in multiple positions like the functioning collapsible stock LE and mil versions.  Strangely, most of the civilian M4s have the correct cuts on the recoil spring tube.  They just aren’t sold with the collapsible stock.

If you see one with a full length one-piece mag tube, someone likely swapped it out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't know that...thanks!

I'm new to Benelli so there's that.

I'm thinking you are right that the tube was swapped out though but I'm not too concerned about it.  It didn't look too difficult to swap out so hopefully they didn't mess it up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The civilian M1014s with the flag on the side never had the full length tube.  They had the normal civilian 5 shot tube with the dummy ribbed extension.  Also, although they had the collapsible stock, the recoil spring tube that the stock went on had different cuts on it so the stock only locked in one position.  It wouldn’t lock in multiple positions like the functioning collapsible stock LE and mil versions.  Strangely, most of the civilian M4s have the correct cuts on the recoil spring tube.  They just aren’t sold with the collapsible stock.

If you see one with a full length one-piece mag tube, someone likely swapped it out.
View Quote
LE models exist that came with fixed stocks and full length mag tubes. Mine was configured as such and the C stock was added. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LE models exist that came with fixed stocks and full length mag tubes. Mine was configured as such and the C stock was added. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/ADA006CB-75B9-4765-917D-3120E601D393_jpeg-733638.JPG
View Quote
And that is why I get so confused LOL.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the one I bought.  Hopefully I did alright.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
You did well enough.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you did very well (except I'd like to see the bigger pic and can't find my snipershide login).

So he said $1700 firm, and then sold it for $1499?
Good job.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think you did very well (except I'd like to see the bigger pic and can't find my snipershide login).

So he said $1700 firm, and then sold it for $1499?
Good job.
View Quote
No I paid $1700.  The other one I was looking at was $1499.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’re talking $450 to convert to a full length tube and c stock with Benelli parts.  If they are Benelli parts you did good. If it’s promag shit then you over paid a bit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You’re talking $450 to convert to a full length tube and c stock with Benelli parts.  If they are Benelli parts you did good. If it’s promag shit then you over paid a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hoping he would have said it was Promag but I did just ask.  It's too late to bail but I didn't realize there was a Promag clone of that stock :-(
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's way overpriced with a promag stock.
Interesting that he named the other 2 brands of accessory parts installed on the gun. That's called lying by omission (I'm assuming he knew about it).
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Interesting that he named the other 2 brands of accessory parts installed on the gun. That's called lying by omission (I'm assuming he knew about it).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless he didn't know that there was a clone stock like I didn't.

I'll see what he says and go from there.  If it is a Promag then this will be the first time that I have been burned online.  It was bound to happen at some point but I'll hold out hope that is is an OEM stock.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a factory stock I am told so that's good.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Yay!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah I feel better now.

I don't get why someone would spend $1500+ on a shotgun only to save $125 over buying the OEM stock to buy Promag
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah I feel better now.

I don't get why someone would spend $1500+ on a shotgun only to save $125 over buying the OEM stock to buy Promag
View Quote
Lots of folks do it for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I just bought NIB a LE version model 11715 . Forget what some people say about needing a break in. Straight out of the box I oiled it and swabbed the barrel out . Then I loaded it up with 1145fps birdshot . Ran perfectly. Empties flew about 2 feet out and 1325fps buck ejected about 6 feet out .
Love it .
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I would be concerned as to whether or not that Benelli M4 is 922(r) Compliant.

If the original owner purchased the M4 with a fixed stock, limited magazine tube and simply replaced the tube & stock ... it would not be compliant and technically illegal.

If the original owner purchased it from their FFL with the collapsible stock and full length magazine tube then it's likely 922(r) Compliant.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I wouldn’t (other than maybe for price negotiation purposes).

If the original owner purchased the M4 with a fixed stock, limited magazine tube and simply replaced the tube & stock ... it would not be compliant and technically illegal.
Incorrect.

If a prior owner replaced the parts without complying, it would still be legal for the current owner (technically) because 922(r) only prohibits assembly, not possession.

If the original owner purchased it from their FFL with the collapsible stock and full length magazine tube then it's likely 922(r) Compliant.
No, it’s likely exempt from 922(r) because it was a LE gun. (All LE guns are permanently exempt pursuant to 18 USC 925). This is the source of all factory-configured non-compliant Benelli shotguns.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah I wasn't really concerned as there is no way to know (especially without the box) how this gun was originally configured since LE guns aren't marked in any way.

Thanks for the detailed response KitBuilder!  I learned something today
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Added update in the OP.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice!

That's a sweet looking setup. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
922(r) applies to the assembler. Since the OP bought it in this configuration, he is fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice!

That's a sweet looking setup. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Enjoy it!
View Quote
Thanks!!

I did check for fun and it does take 7 of those Rio shells that I linked to earlier.  I hand cycled them all with the safety on (which is a b!tch due to that shell feed feature) and it seemed smooth.

I  may swing by my parents farm while I'm in the area on Thursday and put some rounds thru it.

I did also find that on the middle position the Aimpoint is perfect for me while all the way out the irons would be best.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks!!

I did check for fun and it does take 7 of those Rio shells that I linked to earlier.  I hand cycled them all with the safety on (which is a b!tch due to that shell feed feature) and it seemed smooth.

I  may swing by my parents farm while I'm in the area on Thursday and put some rounds thru it.

I did also find that on the middle position the Aimpoint is perfect for me while all the way out the irons would be best.
View Quote
That’s why the c stocks are so nice. The fixed stock is long but fine for irons. When you use the middle position on the c stock you really need an optic though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That’s why the c stocks are so nice. The fixed stock is long but fine for irons. When you use the middle position on the c stock you really need an optic though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!!

Yup I see that now.

It appears that if I wanted to use the longest position then I would probably want to install the Scalarworks Aimpoint mount or else I would have to use a chin weld
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I just found out it has a tritium font sight too when I looked down towards it in the dark and the font was glowing

ETA: Disregard as they are just luminescent it appears.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yup I see that now.

It appears that if I wanted to use the longest position then I would probably want to install the Scalarworks Aimpoint mount or else I would have to use a chin weld
View Quote
The middle position is the most comfortable for most people.  Unless you're birdman with long ass arms, the full extended position (same LOP as the fixed stock) is way too long for practical use.  If I were to use a different stock I'd rather have the field stock with that LOP.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I went and shot the gun this afternoon.  Between a friend and I we put 150rds +/- of everything from full power buckshot and slugs down to 8 shot Walmart bulk pack thru it with zero issues.

I even just started randomly mixing load types in the tube just because but it just kept chugging.

I'm very impressed.  My shoulder showed no signs of getting sore but I had to get back to work.

The only thing I didn't do was ghost load at full capacity because I need to watch the little video on how to do it again.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I went and shot the gun this afternoon.  Between a friend and I we put 150rds +/- of everything from full power buckshot and slugs down to 8 shot Walmart bulk pack thru it with zero issues.

I even just started randomly mixing load types in the tube just because but it just kept chugging.

I'm very impressed.  My shoulder showed no signs of getting sore but I had to get back to work.

The only thing I didn't do was ghost load at full capacity because I need to watch the little video on how to do it again.
View Quote
Ghost loading is super easy. Top off the mag tube. Pull the bolt to the rear and let it move forward 1/2” until the shell lifter comes up. While holding the bolt steady ouch the lifter down with your free hand, drop a shell onto it, and another in the chamber.  Let bolt close. It’s easier to do than to type out. Just gotta let the bolt come forward enough to watch the lifter come all the way up and then you can push it back down.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ghost loading is super easy. Top off the mag tube. Pull the bolt to the rear and let it move forward 1/2” until the shell lifter comes up. While holding the bolt steady ouch the lifter down with your free hand, drop a shell onto it, and another in the chamber.  Let bolt close. It’s easier to do than to type out. Just gotta let the bolt come forward enough to watch the lifter come all the way up and then you can push it back down.
View Quote
Oh okay.  That does sound pretty simple.  Thanks!

I was actually impressed that the recoil wasn't really bad even with the full power slugs and buckshot.  Much, much better than with my 590A1.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Incorrect.

If a prior owner replaced the parts without complying, it would still be legal for the current owner (technically) because 922(r) only prohibits assembly, not possession.

No, it’s likely exempt from 922(r) because it was a LE gun. (All LE guns are permanently exempt pursuant to 18 USC 925). This is the source of all factory-configured non-compliant Benelli shotguns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

That doesn't make any sense. I believe you are incorrect. That's like saying a person can purchase an AR Pistol that has a vertical grip on it and it's ok for new owner to posses because he didn't assemble it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That doesn't make any sense. I believe you are incorrect.
View Quote
I didn't write the silly laws.

Read them and get back to us.
922(r) merely prohibits assembly.

AOW possession is a different matter.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#45]
I actually found a new field stock so I snagged it...wohoo!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That doesn't make any sense. I believe you are incorrect. That's like saying a person can purchase an AR Pistol that has a vertical grip on it and it's ok for new owner to posses because he didn't assemble it.
View Quote
922(r) is not the same law as NFA. One specifies assembly. The other prohibits unlawful possession.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Very nice.
View Quote
Thanks!!

I'm looking forward to trying it out with the field stock when it arrives.  It was $140 but I wanted it and I could only find one anywhere so when I got the notification from Euro Optic that they had one (and only one) I grabbed it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thanks!!

I'm looking forward to trying it out with the field stock when it arrives.  It was $140 but I wanted it and I could only find one anywhere so when I got the notification from Euro Optic that they had one (and only one) I grabbed it.
View Quote
nice.
that titanium tube is a pricey freebie for you. I think they're about $180.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top