Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2019 3:51:03 PM EDT
My sister and her now ex-husband ordered engraved knives for themselves when they go married. Benchmade got the engraving wrong, so when they received them incorrectly engraved, benchmade told them to keep the bad ones, and they shipped them another set that were correctly engraved.

Anyway, she gave all four of them to me yesterday. How do I remove this engraving if I can?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet some 40-grit sandpaper would do it.  Or a lot of elbow grease, oil, and 0000 steel wool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet some 40-grit sandpaper would do it.  Or a lot of elbow grease, oil, and 0000 steel wool.
View Quote
I guess I should have thought out the question.

Is it possible to sand/polish it away without fucking it up?

Engraving seems deep.

At worst I have 4 beater Benchmade knives.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the crap out of it and it will wear off.

Grinder?  Dremel?

Cerakote or spray paint over it?

Leave it and have a laughable story to tell every time someone asks you about it?

Find another engraver who will engrave over it as a solid block?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You could contact Benchmade and see if they will put a new blade on for a small fee. Seems like something they might be willing to do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Aren't they serial numbered? I'm to poor to own one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Since laser etching or "engraving" cuts INTO the metal, it's like pitting...... they only way to "remove it" is to remove metal.
Unless you have some polishing skills you'll likely make it look like crap.

The best way to try it is to use wet or dry sand cloth with a small sanding block made from a large eraser or a wood block.
Once the sand cloth had abraded the engraving off, use finer and finer grits to restore the finish.

My advice is the same as above.... contact Benchmark and ask them what they can do about a blade switch, or, just bite the bullet and live with it.  
Better an odd ball engraving on a blade then a botched, crappy looking blade that looks like Billy Bob used a grinder on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Very easy to remove (I've done it).

Sand blast cabinet, aluminum oxide media.

5 minutes; gone.

Then you need to polish the blade if you want a mirror finish.

G.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
What model are they? What's engraved on them? I might buy one off you if the price is right
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
This, ferric chloride and apple cider 50/50 mix
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top