Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2021 10:34:05 PM EDT
Look an some work that has been done before you have anything engraved! I took 2 to a local refinisher/ engraver on a recommendation. I asked when I dropped it off about doing a poly gun like a scorpion. I was told shouldn't be a problem. They melted it with a laser! It looks terrible , is illegible and irreparable.  Don't make the mistake I did.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
All of the engravers I know of use lasers
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Could jewelry stores do engraving?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my AR lower done at a local trophy shop

About $40 and I couldn’t be happier...... the gun smith I asked wanted $150 lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you even allowed to engrave NFA info on polymer?

I thought it had to be a metal substrate.  Or is that just the SN?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
sounds like they left the laser settings too high.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 for my SBR, think I paid $15 maybe?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#8]
If the lower is polymer and the S/N has to be on metal, what are you supposed to do? The serialized part for an ARis the lower after all. Honestly curious since i got a polymer 80% to mess around with and it my eventually become an SBR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the lower is polymer and the S/N has to be on metal, what are you supposed to do? The serialized part for an ARis the lower after all. Honestly curious since i got a polymer 80% to mess around with and it my eventually become an SBR.
View Quote

I think most quality (and I use that term loosely) polymer lowers have a metal threaded ring for the reciever extension. You could potentially open a window in the plastic to expose a section of that large enough to engrave with a short serial number.

Or you could just take an engraving pen and scrawl something on the plastic and hope/trust that 1. You will never be part of an active ATF investigation and 2. If you are they won't bother to prosecute a single person for engraving on plastic instead of metal, since the metal requirement is really just their opinion of "not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed" in the law.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1 for my SBR, think I paid $15 maybe?
View Quote

Fuck amd here I thought I did pretty good
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
The original manufacture name and address of may polymer framed guns is on the plastic frame.  IE Glock.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Ident Marking for all of mine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The original manufacture name and address of may polymer framed guns is on the plastic frame.  IE Glock.
View Quote

My Glock has a metal plate embedded in the polymer for the SN.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name and address...the SN is already on a SBR unless you made the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#15]
My B&T TP9 was engraved on the polymer.  There's no place else to engrave it.  It was was done by THSF and they deal with B&T all the time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Convenient when I lived practically down the street from them.  Cody at Weapon Genetics gets all my business now, damn solid dude.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By :

Fuck amd here I thought I did pretty good
View Quote

@DprvdDgnrt
You did, I just found a cheaper trophy shop locally who doesnt charge much. They couldnt do steel, only brass or aluminum so limited options
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Pictures please!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I cant get a pic to post. Picture holding a propane torch to it for a few seconds. That kind of melted. I dont know what recourse I have on this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#20]
When I SBR my Beretta CX4 the gunsmith that cut and threaded the barrel engraved the plastic on a mill. He also engraved two AR lowers at same time.
I think the total bill for cut, thread, engrave 3 was $100.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Tarheel State
End of thread
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Tarheel State did both of my Scorpion SBRs (and a lot of other stuff).  I'm lucky enough to live within somewhat reasonable driving distance from them (about 2 hours) so I had no shipping concerns.  Either way, highly recommended.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:20:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I did my own engraving on my first SBR.  looks pretty fucking bad.  But I feel better knowing I fucked it up verses some shitbag down the road.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tarheel State
End of thread
View Quote

^^^ he did all mine. came out perfect
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've done two if mine very well. Did mess up on my buddies lower engraving though. Ended up refunding him and more or less fixing it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Biggest piece of advise ever....have them first engrave a Pmag before you let them touch your gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I had my AR15 lower engraved at Things Remembered in the mall.

I had my polymer Scorpion engraved at a trophy shop with a laser.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I had my Scorpion engraved at Appleton Trophy and Engraving. It sounded like the guy does SBR engraving fairly regularly but it also sounded like my Scorpion was his first polymer receiver. It turned out perfect, it looks like it was done at the factory. It was done with a laser. I highly recommend the place. I meant to just drop it off and pick it up a few days later but he told me to find something to do for 30-40 min. I took my dog and kid to the dog park right down the road and it was done in under 30 min. I'm very glad it worked out that way because it was about a year ago around this time, everything got locked down a few days later
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know if you can send the receiver back to CZ USA, and have them knock out and transfer the serial number tag onto a new piece of plastic?  As we know, the Scorpion receiver is basically a plastic clamshell anyway (with a metal dogtag)

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I had 4 rifles engraved by Tar Heel State Firearms and they did an amazing job for $45 and a fast turn around. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is who I use
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
sounds like they left the laser settings too high.
View Quote
Too slow.  

Generally keep the power the same. Start marking the mark really fast. Doesn't have time to hurt what ever you're making. Gradually slow down until desired mark is achieved.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Name and address...the SN is already on a SBR unless you made the receiver.
View Quote

I promise I'll learn to read one of these days...
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used a local jeweler.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Look an some work that has been done before you have anything engraved! I took 2 to a local refinisher/ engraver on a recommendation. I asked when I dropped it off about doing a poly gun like a scorpion. I was told shouldn't be a problem. They melted it with a laser! It looks terrible , is illegible and irreparable.  Don't make the mistake I did.
View Quote

Was it a color other than black?  The non-black ones tend to do poorly with the lasers.

If your trust name is short enough you can fit it on the OEM metal SN plate.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Should have had the scorpion engraved on the barrel.  Easy
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#37]
It was black. I thought about barrel but wasnt sure it would comply. They have filled the spot and sanded it. Said I will have to pick another spot for engraving now which sucks. What a mess.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Just buy a Drexel engraving bit and do it like my avatar. Works great.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Biggest piece of advise ever....have them first engrave a Pmag before you let them touch your gun.
View Quote

Bigger piece of advice....  have them do a small test shot in an inconspicuous area on your gun.
The composition of the polymer varies GREATLY from item to item and PMAG settings only work on some things, not on others.

So says the guy with CO2 and Fiber machines and who does engravings.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use an industrial engraver, your firearm wont likely fit in any machine a jewelry engraver has.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ask the ATF instead of the conjecture here. BTW.. Yes you can engrave polymer with your name and address. That is all you are engraving for a form1.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I would also like to point out that this is another reason you don't do trophy shops for this sort of thing - much in the same way you don't have your random LGS do a pin and weld for you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Well first of all it isn't illegal,  you just need the correct markings put on in a different spot.

As was said earlier,  do the barrel or do it yourself. I use dremels on mine with flex shafts. Tape a printed template to it to trace and it'll turn out well. Not laser or cnc good, but it's just a gun
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just buy a Drexel engraving bit and do it like my avatar. Works great.
View Quote

I bought a Dremel engraver, and it does work really well.
I wrote the trust name & location on the receiver with a pencil, and then trace the markings with the engraver. Easy-peasy, and it cost me a grand total of $20 to engrave as many receivers as I want.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#45]
i have had 3 done.  the first one was by a "master engraver' by hand.  looks like shit like a kid scratched it in metal with a nail.  Second one was done by a guy with a CNC  machine.  came out awesome.  Third one was done by laser and it came out great also.  CNC was the best but that guy won't do them any more as the set up  time was too long and not worth it to him.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who tf cares.
I doubt even the ATF actually cares about that
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tarheel State
End of thread
View Quote

Not hardly.

I sent my ARX 100 to Veritas and had it engraved in the polymer with a great turn around time and fast shipping.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not hardly.

I sent my ARX 100 to Veritas and had it engraved in the polymer with a great turn around time and fast shipping.
View Quote

100% Veritas Machining. They have done all of my SBRs. I usually drive down to them and get them done the same day.
They also did my ARX100 with no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top