Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2023 11:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jetfuelburner]
Apparently Great Uncle picked this up off a German who didn't need it anymore.  It's rough.  I'm in the process of cleaning and replacing a couple very small parts.  There will not be a restoration but it will be conserved so as to stop any further decay.  It is safe to fire and will be once the work is done.  

I would greatly appreciate any and all hints, suggestions, links, resources, parts suppliers, etc.  Currently need to get a replacement rear Handguard clip and a cleaning rod.  Both fairly common from what I can tell.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There are several books on Mauser rifles if you want to research it further. Unfortunately, I’m finding that a lot of internet resources have faded away and the more recent ones aren’t as good as they think they are.

Gunpartscorp(numrich) would probably be my first stop for parts.

When you get around to shooting it, it will shoot closer to point of aim with something like 154gr ammo. That was the WWI load. Handloading is the way forward for almost all of the old military rifles. Hormady makes a 150gr 8mm bullet.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mace2364:
There are several books on Mauser rifles if you want to research it further. Unfortunately, I’m finding that a lot of internet resources have faded away and the more recent ones aren’t as good as they think they are.

Gunpartscorp(numrich) would probably be my first stop for parts.

When you get around to shooting it, it will shoot closer to point of aim with something like 154gr ammo. That was the WWI load. Handloading is the way forward for almost all of the old military rifles. Hormady makes a 150gr 8mm bullet.

View Quote

Thanks.  I do have a one book on the way. It’s the one recommended by Mark Novak. Written by Jerry Kuhnhausen.  I have used Numerich several times in the past with good results. This week I got a rear sight parts kit from Apex. One of the two teeny tiny springs from the roller coaster sight was lost at some point. Apex is good to go. Two day shipping.  I have a case of 8mm Mauser ammo that I got from Aim Surplus in the early 2000’s when I picked up my K98.  

Can’t wait til my schedule allows me to dive into this one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
Liberty tree is also a good source for parts.
View Quote

Great. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Need more pictures
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RockRash:
Need more pictures
View Quote

I know. My bad!  I just got my paws on it. Have not disassembled for cleanings (which it sorely needs). They’re coming.  It’s also deer season so my be a few more days before I can get to it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a few pics.  Going to need an extensive conservation done on it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jetfuelburner] [#9]
Sadly, the bore is badly pitted.  I was hoping this wouldn't be the case but theres a good chance is wasn't cleaned since the German soldier who "didn't need it any more" last did it, I can't say I'm surprised.  I'm still shooting it though!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The H on the receiver is indicative of assembly by the Hannover depot. 1917 true Spandau assembled guns are scarce as they turned towards MG08/15 production then. Bolt is also a non German replacement. Possibly Polish? I’m not 100%
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MauserMarc:
The H on the receiver is indicative of assembly by the Hannover depot. 1917 true Spandau assembled guns are scarce as they turned towards MG08/15 production then. Bolt is also a non German replacement. Possibly Polish? I’m not 100%
View Quote

Cool.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Join k98kforums and post there.
There are some experts and they can help with markings. May even get original replacement parts you need.

https://www.k98kforum.com/
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
Join k98kforums and post there.
There are some experts and they can help with markings. May even get original replacement parts you need.

https://www.k98kforum.com/
View Quote

Great tip.  Thank you!  I know the pics show no rear sight.  I have all the parts they're just not on the gun.

I'm wondering about the disc on the stock.  Since this is an early model without the bolt takedown sleeve in the stock I'm assuming that disc used to have the unit info on it.  I've looked at it very closely and cant detect anything though.  Wondering if it is underneath what ever is covering the disc.  Grime? Stain? Paint?  "Patina"...
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The Turkish ammo is G98 specific. The armory was set up by the Germans for G98s of the Turks (as well as many older 7.65 chambered Mausers rebarreled to 8X57).
It uses the correct 154gr FMJ but if you reload(recommended) you can pull the bullets and dump the powder in a boxer case for much easier cleaning

I second joining the K98k forum. They have a specific G98 section
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#15]
do not under any circumstances shoot the 8 mil you have.

you need to reload for this. the barrel is not equipped for current 8x57 offerings. there is a very big difference on 8 mil ww1 vs ww2

you will blow your barrel up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By handym3000:

you need to reload for this. the barrel is not equipped for current 8x57 offerings. there is a very big difference on 8 mil ww1 vs ww2

View Quote

I understand your concern but none of the German army used G98s were .318 bores they were all .323 and this being a 1917 is by far way passed when the very first were .318 (those were rebarreled)
Commercial Mausers were made with .318 bores in that era and you are certainly right regarding those
I had a 1905 Spandau and it shot everything a K98k did (but yes I measured the bore before I did to be positive)
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By handym3000:

View Quote

Pretty sure you are thinking of the Gew88's.

On Gew98, if it has the small "S" stamped above the chamber and on the barrel, it is .323.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#18]
That barrel isn't that bad, I've got a Spanish that's way worse and still shoots adequately.

Nice pickup what parts are you looking for?
You can try tickbite supply, liberty, apex, numrich, and even Brownells may have something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top