Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 10:26:26 PM EDT
Would anybody have interest in a larger capacity Barrett magazine? I have connections to a machine shop that is gauging market interest in producing a Barrett 82A1/M107 magazine than can hold more than 10 rds; would 20, 25, or 30 rds be appealing?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Polymer, or spring steel like the original?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have access to an M82/107?

It's going to be HEAVY and long!

You need to be sure that the mag latch will hold a mag that's going to hold extra rounds without falling out. Then add the length of 10 rounds to the bottom of the mag. More than likely it's going to monopod the rifle, right where the mag is.

Why not look into something like a Beta C mag or one like the magpul D 50/60 line?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:11:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#3]
We welded 2 10rd mags together once as a goof around type thing. Worked great. But to fire the rifle, the  bipod legs had to be extended all the way out. Made it awkward to fire.

The excessive weight of the .ag may cause the mag release to flip and drop the mag. Something to consider.

20 rds made for a hefty loaded mag. 30 will be really ungainly.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
15 rds would be interesting, any more than that would be ungainly at best.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50cal:
We welded 2 10rd mags together once as a goof around type thing. Worked great. But to fire the rifle, the  bipod legs had to be extended all the way out. Made it awkward to fire.

The excessive weight of the .ag may cause the mag release to flip and drop the mag. Something to consider.

View Quote

Could it curve leftward or rightward, instead of running straight down?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't really desire more rounds as much as I desire less expensive mags. I could really go for a 12 round mag for $100 or less.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you build it, they will come... how many is anyone’s guess. Some for the cool factor, to say they have one, or three. Some for actually wanting more rounds in the beast😎.  Belt fed, without being beltfed?  I would imagine you’d have quite a few takers depending on price point. I’d be in for it, so, keep us updated
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, just lower cost than barrett. Maybe 15 rds at most.
Or a single stack mag with a reinforced top and longer internal length for some real long loaded bullets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Besides the magazine limitations for rounds that are loaded long, the magwell would be the other.

If you want a semi to shoot rounds that are loaded long, you still have to feed them one at a time.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn’t want anything that extended past the bipod.   I never thought about needing more rounds but 12-15 would be ok.

What’s the projected price goal?
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Schryver Gun Sales used to produce, I want to say 5 and 20 rd M82/M107 magazines. Anyone have photos of them?
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 808Sig:
Schryver Gun Sales used to produce, I want to say 5 and 20 rd M82/M107 magazines. Anyone have photos of them?
View Quote

I wonder if they used one mag split for both. I was actually wondering about that the other day. Chop it to 5rd capacity and weld the extra onto a 10rd mag.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#14]
View Quote

Schryver bought a lot of stuff from Barrett back in the day. Barrett produced some 5 rd 82a1 mags for a time. Not a lot, but we had made some. All it took was welding on an 82a1 mag stop on the back of an M95 mag.  That was the only difference.  
Schryver may have sourced some 20's from someone. But we never had seen or heard of 20's except for the 2 we made in the shop as a joke.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally I don't need any more capacity, 10 is enough for me but I could be down with 5 round magazines if anything. Also magazines can be had for $150-160 which I'm more then willing to pay for OEM quality.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I wouldn’t want anything that extended past the bipod.   I never thought about needing more rounds but 12-15 would be ok.

What’s the projected price goal?
View Quote

Nothing set yet...just gauging interest. I appreciate all of the posts and am passing them along to the designers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ctfish15:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Originally Posted By 50cal:  We welded 2 10rd mags together once as a goof around type thing. Worked great. But to fire the rifle, the  bipod legs had to be extended all the way out. Made it awkward to fire.

Flip the rifle upside down, run an offset scope mount.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
15rd would be the most I’d want in that rifle. But if he can make them cheaper than Barrett then please do so.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

I wonder if they used one mag split for both. I was actually wondering about that the other day. Chop it to 5rd capacity and weld the extra onto a 10rd mag.
View Quote

My memory is cloudy, but I'm almost positive he had pictures of them on his website, though I'm not sure if they actually were reliable and if any were sold. I don't recall the price, but I felt that it was too expensive for something that I would consider to be a novelty item. I'm not sure what he did about the springs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#20]

All it took was welding on an 82a1 mag stop on the back of an M95 mag.  That was the only difference.  
View Quote
Too bad the M95 mags cost almost as much as the M82's. On Schryver's Youtube page, you can see some videos with them using the 5 rd mags, but no 20's.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Barrett has an outside vendor welding and meloniting the mags now. They have since around early 2002. The process for welding them is labor intensive. With all that was going on at the time and the years following, it made more sense to farm them out and powder coat them in house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd entertain a 12-15 rd version :D
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#24]
The factory mag could be had at a much cheaper price point.  The production price is very low.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ben:

I'm aware. Which is why I plan to copy them since the time limit for an exclusive patent is well past.
View Quote

Would like more info on this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#27]
+1 for cheap 10 round mags
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By atz:
+1 for cheap 10 round mags
View Quote

same here in for another 4-6 if they are reasonable  $$$
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#29]

I'm aware. Which is why I plan to copy them since the time limit for an exclusive patent is well past.
View Quote

The box mag didn't have a patent. I tried a few years ago to have a stamping company do a copy of the mag for me. I was going to try and sell an aftermarket mag.
One or 2 of the companies contacted Barrett for some reason. Chris Barrett told them Barrett had the patent on the mag even though they didn't have a patent. I had already researched it.
The companies I contacted told me they weren't going to entertain the offer of doing them. I told them there was no patent.

Be prepared for anyone that is remotely doing parts for a firearm company to contact Barrett. Be prepared for Barrett to say they have a patent on the mag.

Forewarned is fore armed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Schryver bought a lot of stuff from Barrett back in the day. Barrett produced some 5 rd 82a1 mags for a time. Not a lot, but we had made some. All it took was welding on an 82a1 mag stop on the back of an M95 mag.  That was the only difference.  
Schryver may have sourced some 20's from someone. But we never had seen or heard of 20's except for the 2 we made in the shop as a joke.
View All Quotes

Interesting on the 5rd 82a1 mags.

Might be a dumb question, but can the M82A1 10rd mag be modified then in the opposite way to fit the M95?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Unless I buy the company that will produce the mags, right?
View All Quotes

The box mag didn't have a patent. I tried a few years ago to have a stamping company do a copy of the mag for me. I was going to try and sell an aftermarket mag.
One or 2 of the companies contacted Barrett for some reason. Chris Barrett told them Barrett had the patent on the mag even though they didn't have a patent. I had already researched it.
The companies I contacted told me they weren't going to entertain the offer of doing them. I told them there was no patent.

Be prepared for anyone that is remotely doing parts for a firearm company to contact Barrett. Be prepared for Barrett to say they have a patent on the mag.

Forewarned is fore armed.

If you own a stamping company, you could probably also produce the laser cut Flat Spot AR parts.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Modern problems require modern solutions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Tikiman001:

Interesting on the 5rd 82a1 mags.

Might be a dumb question, but can the M82A1 10rd mag be modified then in the opposite way to fit the M95?
View Quote

The 10rd mag won't rock in because the pistol grip will be in the way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

This man gets it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
A 20rd snail drum would be awesome.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

If you need to, contact me with any questions about the magazines features. There are a few places in the mag that are critical for proper function.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#38]
@Ben

See my above post.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#40]
I wish I could. Just had knee replacement surgery. For me, its been a bit of a bitch to recover from.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:08:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#41]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Barrett factory tour

Barrett 82A1 Magazines (7:25)

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By prebans:
I swear I saw 12 round Barrett mags being sold in the mid-2000s.  Could be wrong..?

I
View Quote

The original mags were 11 rd. The mag body was parkerized. When guns were being built for the Marine Corps, they asked that the mags be cut back to 10 rd as to keep the rifle from being rested on the bottom of the mag.
The 10 rd mag let the rifle rest on the buttplate instead.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top